divine

Blurry Scope crosshair

Don't buy cheap glass!

Blurry Scope crosshair

Postby spittny » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:51 pm

Hi all,

I recently purchased a weaver 3-9x40 Ballistic X scope for £145, I know is ‘cheap’ but its weaver, which I had heard good things about. Basically I cannot seem to focus on the crosshair and target at the same time, one or the other is blurry, I generally shoot better with the Iron sights at the min.

I have used a number of different scopes with mixed results, some are blurry but some are fine. My friend has a Leupold scope which I have used and I don’t have this issue, it’s crystal clear each time.

Have I just purchased a ‘cheap’ scope? Is this common on the ‘lower priced’ range of scopes?
Any advice or scope recommendations would be much appreciated.
Fyi primarily I am using the scope for 25 yard target shooting with a 22lr but I am interested in shooting full bore so any high-magnification scope recommendations would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, kind regards
Simon.
If at first you don't succeed... reload.
http://www.theshootingwiki.co.uk
spittny

Re: Blurry Scope crosshair

Postby gun nut » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:10 pm

Firstly you need to check the scope 'settings'. Start by getting the eye relief correct by adjusting the scope backwards and forwards at full magnification until you can see the entire sight picture without any rings of black around the outside.
Next you need to set the reticle focus by adjusting the ocular (one closest to the eye) bell. Do this by aiming at the sky or a white background - the reticle should appear clear the instant you look through the scope. If it isn't turn the ocular bell until it is clear as soon as you look through (shutting and opening your eyes helps).
Have a look to see if the scope is parallax adjustable at the front or side as this will make the reticle appear out of focus if not adjusted correctly.
Most hunting scopes that are not adjustable are set to be parallax free at 100 yds so shooting at 25 yds on high magnification may make the reticle appear out of focus.
Hope this helps a bit.
A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range. - Paul Kirchner
A few acorns up the arse'd do 'em the world of good. It might even make them walk upright for a change. - Linegeist
gun nut
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Clive Ward » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi Simon,

In addition to the above excellent advice it's worth getting an eye test done. If you wear glasses, wear them.

If your eyes are outside the proper range for the eyepiece then it will shift the apparent object focus so you can get a problem getting them both in focus as the scopes lenses wont move far enough to achieve it. Or the scope could be faulty.

I had terrible problems with a Leupold tactical scope years ago before I was involved in optics and even complained to the factory about it. I could only get one or the other planes of the cross hair in focus at any one time, never both. They suggested an eye test which revealed astigmatism cured by suitable geps.

The astigmatism has now gone but I do have a minute prescription which I have made into my shooting glasses. ESS in the USA did mine. I wear them for anything requiring full accuracy. :grin:
http://www.nightvisionstore.co.uk
High end night vision digital, tubed and thermal monoculars, rifle scopes, clip ons, add ons, IR Illuminators and accessories.
Clive Ward
Trade Member
Trade Member
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:20 pm

first job as has already been mentioned,have a play with the ocular bell focusing ring.
99.9% of the time this is the problem :thup:
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby spittny » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:53 pm

Afternoon all

Many thanks for the advice, I will have a play with my scope tonight and tomorrow when I am at the range. I have had an eye test a few years ago and other scopes seem fine by I will certainly bare that in mind.

Thanks again for all the information its much appreciated, I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers guys
Sy
spittny

Postby red_mamba » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:35 pm

25y might be too close if it's a fixed parallax scope set to 100y
red_mamba
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby spittny » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:29 pm

Hi all

Red_mamba I think you are spot on, I have been playing with the scope and the ‘focus ring’ does not seem to do anything (but the manual says some lower models will have a dummy ring, my scope I know is low end at £145), however when I zoom out to about x3-x4 its spot on (at 25 yards), crystal clear, if I zoom to x9 (at 25 yards) is blurry, I had just come to this conclusion and was about to ask could this be the case and have seen your post red_mamba so I think this is why.

Thanks all for the help guys, I have learnt a lot.

Cheers.
Sy.
spittny

Postby leadpig » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:09 pm

spittny wrote: the ‘focus ring’ does not seem to do anything (but the manual says some lower models will have a dummy ring, my scope I know is low end at £145).

and that has put me off weaver scopes for life,what a shitty thing to do :turd: :turd: :thdn:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:06 am

I gave up on Weaver scopes long, long ago.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby The_Dogge » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:20 am

If it is the case that the scope is fixed paralax and set to 100yd (which is usual) then you can adjust that. You'll find that the objective lens end has a locking ring at the end, unscrew this and you will see the objective lens carrier with two slots (nicks really). If you unscrew this a turn or two it adjusts focus and paralax closer. Don't go too far, if you unscrew the lens completely you lose the gas fill, but that is a tiny risk, I've never done it and I've adjusted several scopes like this.
The_Dogge
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision