divine

Need a fixed power long eye relief compact scope

Don't buy cheap glass!

Need a fixed power long eye relief compact scope

Postby Jubbles » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:51 pm

Hi all

I am looking for a compact fixed power long eye relief scope to put on my Mosin Nagant M38, I intend to turn the old war horse into something akin to the Mauser K98 with the rear sight replacement scope.

I dont want a giant scope or anything that stands out I would like something that fits the rifle's design and is easy to use.
Jubbles
Rifleman
Rifleman

Re: Need a fixed power long eye relief compact scope

Postby Bushdog » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:45 pm

Most long eye relief (AKA "scout scopes") with fixed power are low-magnification - my Leupold FX IER is 2.5x, the Burris Scout (if you can find one) is 2.75x. IER = "intermediate eye relief" - you really need an IER rather than a long eye relief scope to mount where you are planning - long eye reliefs are meant for pistol scopes to be held at arms length, rather than lie just in front of the action, like a scout scope).

However, there is a new crop of variable IER scopes now being made - the Burris do one (2-7x, I think) and Leupold also do one (at least from their custom shop if not off the shelf). I have also heard very good reports (and likely to be more affordable, if you can get one) on the Leatherwood LER 2-7x which is advertised over there for less than $200. Typically despite what I said above, its LER stands for Long eye relief, but its eye-relief is 8-14", so it should work, and there are lots of guys putting them on Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifles in that position. Pistol scopes frequently have 18" of eye relief.

I like the scout scope concept personally, and am hoping I may be able to snag a Leatherwood when I'm across the pond next month. I occasionally use the Leupold on my Steyr Scout for woodland stalking , and have shot deer at closer ranges with it with no probs at all. More magnification would make it more versatile in my view, and I might be able to leave it on the rifle all the time (normally its wearing a conventional 6x fixed).
Bushdog
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Need a fixed power long eye relief compact scope

Postby Haggis » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:17 pm

There's a long eye relief scope, 2x for £38 from JS Ramsbottom. Worked on a pistol and on a .22 scout rifle my mate built.
Haggis
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision