divine

Clone 'Leupold Mk4' M1 3.5-10x LR/T

Don't buy cheap glass!

Clone wars - continued!

Postby IanF » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:38 pm

Well, another day passes and it didn't rain, so a bit more work on the 'Clone'.

Last shoot, I worked out that the click values were not exactly .25" - something that makes a big difference if you are trying to dial ranges or successfully use an exterior ballistics program. This is not unusual and it is often the case that even high grade scopes will benefit from confirmation of the exact click value.

A little bit of complication comes into my calculations as the Clone is supposedly in MOA, while my range-finder gives results in metres.

To ascertain the real value of each click on the turrets, I stuck up a metric target with 2cm grid and highlighted 8cm with horizontal and vertical lines drawn with a marker. Backing off precisely 50m, I then clamped the rifle stock into a vice and made adjustments so the cross-hairs exactly matched the lower line on the target. Carefully adjusting the turret, I counted the clicks required to move exactly 8cm elevation. Repeated the process three times and came back with exactly the same click numbers on each occasion. Repeated the process on the windage turret and recorded results.

Doubling the results gave the value for movement at 100m & produced a 'real' value of .842mm. Phew! :)

With this 'real' value plumbed into Strelok, the calculation indicated the results I expected & so another trip over to the range was in order.

Set up the bipod on the 30'06 (150gn/2850fps) & dialled the elevation clicks suggested for 300m and also added three clicks for windage. A couple shots then fell precisely on the level of the bull on the 300m target! Result! Took off the extra windage, to be rewarded by a shot falling cleanly into the bull. At that point I was mentally whooping and hollering and moved forward to 96m (Yep, we still have tall grass around here). Wound the turret back down to zero and fired a further confirmation group of three shots.

Results were a .3" group in the correct place!

Scope seems to be fit for purpose. Let us see how it lasts :thup:

Off to a steel shoot on Saturday, plenty of dialling and hopefully confirmation that it is worth every penny I have spent on it! :roll:

Rgds

Ian
Just taking my rifle for a walk :)

For professional guided Deer & Wild Boar Stalking, Deer related training, DSC1 & 2 preparation & witnessing, Field Rifle coaching. Go to www.farringtonds.com - or call me on Tel: 07798 771 062
IanF
Musketeer
Musketeer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Clone 'Leupold Mk4' M1 3.5-10x LR/T

Postby sjb1956 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:34 pm

This thread had been interesting up to December!

Why tell half a story and say you will be back??

Shame, I was enjoying the updates,

I wonder if someone has upset him?
sjb1956

Previous

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision