divine

Clone 'Leupold Mk4' M1 3.5-10x LR/T

Don't buy cheap glass!

Clone 'Leupold Mk4' M1 3.5-10x LR/T

Postby IanF » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:13 pm

OK, for those of you who worship the great God Leupold, please - look away now.
This is most important, as I would not want you to get caught as I did!

In the course of a chat, a good friend mentioned he had got hold of a replica that looked much like a Leupy
long range scope. Now he is one shooter who is not really constrained by budget when buying kit - his other rifle is a H & H 'Royal grade' double!
He really rated these scopes, waxing lyrical & suggesting they were actually
excellent irrespective of price. I gave a polite grunt, being aware of the reputation held
by the Chinese clones - mostly for self destructing within the first five minutes of being mounted on a rifle.

Forgot all about this until a month later when a parcel arrived out of the blue. Worked out who had sent it to me (foreign post mark)
and remembered our chat.

Unwrapped the package and found a plain black box - no logos or indication as the the contents. These proved to be
a good looking scope, cheap bikini style dust caps and a sachet of silica gel. Nothing else, no instructions or
any supporting literature - no life-time guarantee or selection of quality batteries.

Quick hands-on revealed smooth magnification adjustment from a stated 3.5-10x. Side parallax adjustment that actually
seemed to tally with the markings & finally, target type turrets for windage and elevation. NO branding, dodgy serial number or
anything to indicate that the manufacturer was trying to sell this as a 'fake' Leupold.

Second point of note - who ever assembled the scope had swapped windage and elevation turret caps in the process! These
are only secured with one grub screw, and were swiftly re-installed the correctly.

Swift inspection of the parts bin revealed some weaver bases that I screwed onto a Tikka 595. This is a nice accurate
little rifle and the calibre (.222) has virtually no recoil. Ideal for trialling a self-destructing piece of Chinese rubbish!
The light goes swiftly at this time of year & the scope got its final mounting and leveling as the afternoon turned to dusk.
This seemed to be the ideal time to check the reticle illumination, which indicates either red or green as an option.

Flicked on the illuminator and shouldered the rifle....... JEEZUS H. TAP_DANCING CHRIST!!!! My retina were seared within seconds,
my nostril hairs burst into flame and a passing Hercules troop transport turned towards our back garden - obviously assuming they
were lining up on a major airport runway. Ok, I may exaggerate just a little - but it is fair to say that the reticle illumination
is just a tad on the bright side. Certainly too bright to use in low light without totally washing out the target.

Next day we trotted off to the range. A good look through the scope showed clear glass that was easily focused and did not show
any major distortion or colour tint/aberration. The reticle (US army mil-dot style) was easily focused via the ocular bell & provided
an excellent sight picture, while the 40mm objective allows plenty light transmission. Certainly, I did not feel
that the field of view was unduly constricted or dark - even on maximum magnification.

Bore sighting had me 3" low at 6 o'clock for my first shot. The turrets read in 1/4 MOA and 12 clicks elevation had me hitting
the centre of the target within a couple shots - very gratifying!

Part of the mystique behind the big brand scopes is the quality of the components and the repeatability of the clicks. It is this
that allows a shooter to consistently dial ranges and windage, in the certainty of a first round hit. With this in mind I decided
to shoot a group - but with a difference. It is normal to check tracking by shooting a 'box' to see if adjusting the turrets will
allow you to return to zero.

Deciding to do something similar, I chose to dial up 15 minutes, then right 15, then down 15 then finally left 15 before firing a shot.
then repeating the process for a for another couple shots - idea being that this should give a fairly good work out to the turrets
and would show up any change in composite group size or position.

After going through this procedure, I was pleasantly surprised to find a composite group measuring .349" centre to centre.

Now granted this is a very basic trial, but it does appear that this $40 dollar clone offers excellent potential when compared to the
$1150 US price for the genuine article.

I called my buddy to thank him for the gift & let know I intend ordering another couple for my .22s. Certainly, they ought to hold up to that?

A pause & then a surprising reply....'Mate, one of mine is running on a .338 - seems fine!
Just taking my rifle for a walk :)

For professional guided Deer & Wild Boar Stalking, Deer related training, DSC1 & 2 preparation & witnessing, Field Rifle coaching. Go to www.farringtonds.com - or call me on Tel: 07798 771 062
IanF
Musketeer
Musketeer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Clone 'Leupold Mk4' M1 3.5-10x LR/T

Postby shotgun sam » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:57 pm

Interesting read I am sure a few people would be interested in getting one just to try the out can you post the link to where your friend bought it.

Sam
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
CZ 455 22 Lr/17 Hmr
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
shotgun sam
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby plugg » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:58 pm

Would you shoot a comp with it Ian?
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby IanF » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:34 pm

Let me take it out a bit further and I will let you know! :)

So far, it doesn't look as though it would put me at a disadvantage.

Rgds

Ian

For professional guided Deer & Wild Boar Stalking, Deer related training, DSC1 & 2 preparation & witnessing, Field Rifle coaching. Go to www.farringtonds.com - or call me on Tel: 07798 771 062
IanF
Musketeer
Musketeer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:39 pm

Find what I seen of commie crap it would take a great leap of faith for me to buy any precision optical instrument from a China no name manufacturer. Perhaps the commies are getting better or Leupold has gotten worst so I'm following your thread with interest.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby plugg » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:54 pm

IanF wrote:Let me take it out a bit further and I will let you know! :)

So far, it doesn't look as though it would put me at a disadvantage.

Rgds

Ian

That would be great, mate
:thup:

I've always wondered about these cheap deal scopes and I might just part with 40 bucks equivalent to test it against a Leupold VXIII that I have on top of my .22-250.
If it's worth its keep I would try it on my .308 for the decider.
If it turns out to be a complete waste of money then it's no huge drama for it to be on the receiving end of either CF ;)

I know everyone rants and raves about cheap glass and in some respects I agree but I also think in some respects that it is actually the name that you pay for.
That said, Swarovski glass/scope/binos are just amazing :)
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:01 pm

as long as you dont have to dial a lot of the chinese stuff is getting bloody good for the money ;) .
but hardly suprising as look at when all the early jap stuff came out,no body wanted to touch it but now they are up there with the best european scopes,my sightron is about 5% off a divari opticaly,it only gets beaten at very low light but it is 2/2.5 times cheaper ;) .
only a matter of time before the chinese stuff is up there with them 8-)
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Shaun A. » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:08 pm

plugg wrote:I've always wondered about these cheap deal scopes and I might just part with 40 bucks equivalent to test it against a Leupold VXIII that I have on top of my .22-250.
If it's worth its keep I would try it on my .308 for the decider.
If it turns out to be a complete waste of money then it's no huge drama for it to be on the receiving end of either CF ;)

I know everyone rants and raves about cheap glass and in some respects I agree but I also think in some respects that it is actually the name that you pay for.
That said, Swarovski glass/scope/binos are just amazing :)

:hmm: It's ok finding out it's cheap shi*e on a range but when your in a field or on the hill in shi*e weather after that very wary fox or the big stag you've followed half the day and the scope fogs up or the strikes low at 100m and your chasing a wounded beast :( :( :(
There is some decent second hand glass that comes with a warranty which is worth paying that little extra for, IMHO.

Shaun.
Go fetch to me a pint o wine,
And fill it in a silver tassie;

Robert Burns, 1789.
Shaun A.
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby IanF » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:21 pm

Completely agree Shaun - but this is a freebie and worthy of a test.

Could be it is just another piece of crap designed to be bolted to an Air soft look-alike - then again, could be the first of a new wave of reasonable quality kit!

So, what sort of testing should I throw at it?

Chuck it in the freezer overnight? Play a hose on it for five minutes?

What would you be happy to do to your glass?

A warranty won't help with any of the issues you mentioned. It will just give a replacement in the event of screw-up!

Certainly, it seems good to use as is.

Rgds

Ian :)
Last edited by IanF on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IanF
Musketeer
Musketeer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby plugg » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:22 pm

Very true Shaun :thup:
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:04 pm

I own both Swarovski and Trijicon. I knocked my Swarovski 8 X 50 binoculars out of collimation. I didn't know how important that it came be with binoculars. Swarovski USA in located in Rhode Island. I phone them and told them that I have vision problem that comes with getting older. I was invited into their facility where they found that the collimation was off. They set the collimation to my vision. They completely rebuilt the binoculars, installed new prisms, and shipped them back to me and it didn't cost me a cent. The same holds true with Trijicon. I've sent reflex scopes to them for repair and it never cost me a cent. One scope was a very early edition of a reflex sight well out of anybody's warranty and still Trijicon repaired and replaced the lamp for me.

I've learned the hard way with scopes at a cost. I'm interested in quality and I found with scopes you generally get exactly what you pay for. Still I don't need high end scopes for some of the shooting that I do. In any case the equipment must be durable and trouble free at a minimum. I not easy on my stuff, or that's what I am told.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Shaun A. » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:09 am

IanF wrote:Completely agree Shaun - but this is a freebie and worthy of a test.

Could be it is just another piece of crap designed to be bolted to an Air soft look-alike - then again, could be the first of a new wave of reasonable quality kit!

So, what sort of testing should I throw at it?

Chuck it in the freezer overnight? Play a hose on it for five minutes?

What would you be happy to do to your glass?

A warranty won't help with any of the issues you mentioned. It will just give a replacement in the event of screw-up!

Certainly, it seems good to use as is.

Rgds

Ian :)

Ian, as a freebie you could test it in as you've said but the scope you have doesn't tell you what it's specification is, so what is it!!. I know there will obviously be some defects even in reputable companies that will replace as per warranty, but it's the confidence knowing what you have. I've had my binos and scope out in everything Scotland can throw at them knowing that what they say is what's in the tin.
Don't get me wrong I've had everything glass wise from utter shi*e to what I use now and it's taken a long time.

Shaun.
Go fetch to me a pint o wine,
And fill it in a silver tassie;

Robert Burns, 1789.
Shaun A.
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Ray7756 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:40 am

shotgun sam wrote:Interesting read I am sure a few people would be interested in getting one just to try the out can you post the link to where your friend bought it.

Sam

I would be very interested in any info especially the manufacturers details & your further test results, as i have a contract in China next year and would like to bring a few back with me if your test results are good :thup:
Ray7756
Hunter
Hunter

Postby IanF » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:30 am

OK - scope taken off the .222 and gently showered with a hose for a couple minutes. Butler Creeks were closed as I am not attempting to wreck the unit - simply to see if it will stand up to 'normal' shooting conditions. Gave it a good shake and operated turrets - 24 hours later, no water ingress or fogging.

Next, chucked it into the freezer overnight - indicated -19, so fairly chilly. Brought it into the house the next morning and at the moment it is coming back to room temperature. The expected condensation on the outside of the unit does not seem to extend into the scope - opened up the BCs & glass was clear for a few seconds until the temperature differential caused fog on the outside of the lenses.

Going to mount it on another Tikka now - 30'06 M695. Will check that it groups and get it zeroed/confirm drops, before taking it for a more exhaustive wring out on Saturday.

That will be a plate shoot out to 650, so plenty dialling and opportunity to see how the glass performs.

So far, so good! :)

As mentioned, I received this unit as a gift from abroad - will take a bit of time to discover the origin of the scope, as my friend's business commitments make him tough to pin down!

Rgds

Ian

IanF
Musketeer
Musketeer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby IanF » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:27 pm

Well - getting it wet, getting it cold and chucking thirty rounds of 30'06 (150gn 2850fps) have had no effect - still working just fine.

Zeroed then dialed/shot 200m & 300m. Then wound back down to 100 & it shot back into the zero group.

Foolishly, I haven't yet checked the click values against paper - as far as I can see, that is the only bit that still needs proving.

Rgds

Ian

IanF
Musketeer
Musketeer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision