divine

Pulsar N550

Don't buy cheap glass!

Pulsar N550

Postby Shootist » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:44 am

Out again last night. The downside of night vision at this time of year is starting out at midnight! The Pulsar is modified with a Dr Bob's front mount and a 1.5x multiplier lens. It also wears a laser illuminator, purchased for the longer shots when mounted on CF. It spends most of it's time on my S.1 FN19 Falcon, running at 25 ft/lb. What an outfit it is too. Zeroed at 55 yards, it's good for head shots up to 70 yards. I really would recommend one of these sights for anyone contemplating entry into night vision.

Now it's well out of it's warranty period, I'd like to make a modification, and am hoping for some advice from a knowledgeable person here. The Dr Bob's mount works well, but it's one failing is that if the front element is knocked out of line by even a little, the zero is miles off. I was hoping to find some more permanent way of fixing the adapter for the multiplier. Anyone have any ideas. I wondered about some form of adhesive, but I've read that many can cause separation of the lens elements.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Pulsar N550

Postby Keef » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:47 am

Where are you going to find anyone knowledgeable on here? :)
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Shootist » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:24 pm

Keef wrote:Where are you going to find anyone knowledgeable on here? :)

:hmm:
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:52 pm

I don't use the Dr Bob's on my scope however the 1.5x mount that I is very similar. I was thinking about the an adhesive too however I was concerned that in the process I would get glue on the N550 lens. Also the 1.5 extender isn't sealed with a dry nitrogen atmosphere so should and moisture or any thing else get into the lens adapter then would be just another thing that I would have to screw with when it just so much easier to take the unit apart.

I opted to use set screws to lock the adaptor in place. I haven't drilled, tapped, and installed them yet because I haven't needed yet. The adaptor 1.5 lens adaptor tube fit to the N550 is fairly tight without the screws but I can see where it could loosen with used. The N550 is plastic and the adaptor tube is aluminum. I could always put a very little dab of Loctite on the set screws to lock those in place too.

One fellow used clear silicone as caulking to better set his adaptor rather than adhesive. It seemed to work for him.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Shootist » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:09 pm

Looking at the scope. the front casing is fixed to the main body by three or so screws. I wonder if someone possessed of significant engineering skills, or Keef, could use these fixing points to make a permanently fixed adapter mounted with longer screws.
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:29 pm

Shootist wrote: ......I wonder if someone possessed of significant engineering skills, or Keef.............

'
Does that somehow imply that Keef has something other than significant engineering skills............... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Keef » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:33 pm

Shootist wrote:Looking at the scope. the front casing is fixed to the main body by three or so screws. I wonder if someone possessed of significant engineering skills, (Up until this point you had a chance but from here on your chances were the same as England winning the football World Cup.) or Keef, could use these fixing points to make a permanently fixed adapter mounted with longer screws.

See remarks added in the quote above.

No Nails should do it.

I'll have a look at it and make an uninformed guestimate, bring it to the club when you're ready.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Keef » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:36 pm

flintlok wrote:'
Does that somehow imply that Keef has something other than significant engineering skills............... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Most of his bloody rifles are held together with something I've made for him.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision