divine

ShootForum scope test - your help needed

Don't buy cheap glass!

ShootForum scope test - your help needed

Postby Beer Hunter » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:02 pm

Guys,

I was doing a little testing of scopes recently and devised a sheet as a rough test of resolving power.
Now, wouldn't it be nice if we could build a list of scopes on here for comparison purposes - all using the same test sheet and performing the test in the same way....

Here's what I propose.
  1. Print off the following sheet
    Scope LPI chart.pdf
    (5.05 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
  2. In a darkened room / hallway, set the target up at 15 yards and illuminate it with a plain 40 watt pearl bulb placed 3 feet in front and 6" to the side of the target.
  3. Shield the scope from direct light from the bulb then adjust your scope and record the maximum "LPI" for each of the following magnifications. The max "LPI" being where you can still identify individual lines.
    • The lowest scope magnification
    • The highest scope magnification
    • The scope set at 6x mag (if available)
    • The scope set at 10x mag (if available)
  4. Now remove the light shield to allow some light directly into the lens then perform exactly the same test again i.e. record the maximum "LPI" for each of the following magnifications. The max "LPI" being where you can still identify individual lines.
    • The lowest scope magnification
    • The highest scope magnification
    • The scope set at 6x mag (if available)
    • The scope set at 10x mag (if available)
This should give a fairly standard test which we can all do and give a direct comparison.

I'll post up the results for my scopes and make a table in the articles area if enough others take the challenge :)

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Re: ShootForum scope test - your help needed

Postby Dave 101 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:28 pm

Hi Kev , I like the idea of your test , unfortunately my house is only about 8 yards front to back , the test I assume would find which scope has the best lenses , but surely the quality of the eye would be a limiting factor as all our eyes are diffrerent therefore the results would not be standard . I know my eye sight is not that good and what I see in a scope is different to someone whos vision is better , I shoot bench rest with a Weaver T 36 at 25yds I can see a knats gonads but a lower powered scope everything would be a blur where as a young shooter would be able to see as much with the lower power . My conclusion would be the same person would have to test all the scopes . Perhaps I am wrong in my conclusion , I can see its a good way to test my own scopes against each other , Usualy the price dictates the end result . Dave
Dave 101
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Shaun A. » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:13 pm

I think Dave might have a point,as i do think we all see things differently through lenses.
Go fetch to me a pint o wine,
And fill it in a silver tassie;

Robert Burns, 1789.
Shaun A.
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby jeff » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:28 am

Not sure all my scopes will actually focus down to 15yds!

Also, I'm not an optics expert so this is a question more than a comment, but would the best performing scope at 15yds necessarily equate to the best performing one at 300yds, for example?
Jeff

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
jeff
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision