divine

Leupold First Focal Plane

Don't buy cheap glass!

Leupold First Focal Plane

Postby TonyC » Tue May 06, 2008 3:58 pm

I picked up a (very) lightly used VX-III LRT from the US - 4.5-14x40, 30mm, Mildot, Matt with M1 turrets, right money, well pleased. :thup:

On arrival it turns out it is FFP - ie the reticle changes size with the zoom/remains a constant ratio with the target.

Now the only FFP Leupolds I have seen are high end Mk4's in the $2K range, I have never seen it as an orderable option.

Anyone have a clue as to the model of this scope ? Was FFP a Custom Shop option at some point ?

Cheers

Tony
TonyC
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Re: Leupold First Focal Plane

Postby foxshooter » Wed May 07, 2008 11:42 am

If I were you I'd contact Leupold and ask them the same question, if you give them the serial number of the scope they should be able to tell you if it has been modded by the Custom Shop or was supplied new in that configuration.

They are decent folk at leupold and should be able to sort out your query pdq

Mark
foxshooter
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby TonyC » Wed May 07, 2008 8:45 pm

Cheers Mark, I'll drop customer services an email.

Tony
TonyC
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Photoguy2910 » Fri May 09, 2008 8:04 am

Let us know how you get on, sounds interesting
Photoguy2910
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby TonyC » Sat May 17, 2008 11:03 am

I got around to emailing Leupold.

Turns out what I have is a VX-III Tactical - made just before the Mk4 came out.

They did not make an FFP VX-III though so it is likely to have been modified by Premier Reticles.

I suspect I'm screwed if I ever need warranty work but nice scope none the less :)

TC
TonyC
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby niko » Sun May 18, 2008 10:03 am

TonyC wrote:I got around to emailing Leupold.

Turns out what I have is a VX-III Tactical - made just before the Mk4 came out.

They did not make an FFP VX-III though so it is likely to have been modified by Premier Reticles.

I suspect I'm screwed if I ever need warranty work but nice scope none the less :)

TC

i think that depended on when it was modified mate
i used to be when p r modded scopes you kept your warranty ,i believe it was last year or the year before this changed . i guess you would have to find out from Leupold when this changed and from pr when they modded it
niko
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby TonyC » Mon May 19, 2008 2:02 pm

Useful bit of infor Nico, thanks :thup:

TC
TonyC
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Jon » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:25 am

Just a bit of info, the VX 3 series replaced the Vari X 3 in Feb 2004.
Not sure Leup doing first focal plane but have been known do do specials in the past, so cannot be ruled out.
Now as said scope is mildot, Premier Ret did their GEN2 in FFP, i have one done by the late Dick Thomas June or July 2004 and one of the last by the great man 2who died in October that year. Then it all went belly up. PR did complete outstanding orders until Jan 2005 mainly power boosts as Leup wouldnt supply the parts to do the rets.
What was stated at the time any repair work would be undertaken prior to Jan 2005. Personally cant see this happening if PR cannot get the parts!

If it is a GEN2 i have a pdf file and equations somewhere. FFP ret spacing on target should remain the same when mag is increased or decreased. On low mag the outer or what would be the 30/30 is very thick, wind mag up and it disappears as if going out of the scope tube, weird but guarantees amasement by lurkers. Darker and grainier too than 2FP my only gripe.

Incidently i have M1 turrets on as well as an option think it was $75 extra, ret $200 not first choice but knew what i was getting.
Have owned a PR Mark 4 for 5 years the genuine fixed mag one not the look alike VX3 variable mag ones, awesome.

Post a piccy of the ret, i will tell you if its a Gen2.
Jon

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision