divine

Which brands are considered good and which to avoid?

Don't buy cheap glass!

Which brands are considered good and which to avoid?

Postby Judge Ali » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:26 am

Am looking at buying some new scopes fairly soon and wanted the forum members input into what is considered the good and bad brands? I ask because I have some posts where members have stated they wouldnt touch certain brands if they had them free where as others seem to be considered the mutts nuts!

So, if I dont know a whole hell of a lot about scopes which should I be considering and which should I be dismissing? I know it comes down to budget at the end of the day but a general overview would be helpful.

Cheers
Alex
Judge Ali
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Which brands are considered good and which to avoid?

Postby Sam Vimes » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:43 am

There are two brands, Hawke and AGS, that I'd avoid much of their stuff because I feel that you can usually find better for the money. However, there are individual scopes in their ranges that I would consider, so it's not all bad. I wouldn't touch a modern Tasco with a bargepole but the old stuff can be good. I also shy away from anything direct from Hong Kong or China, nothing against Chinese scopes per se, I know full well that there's very little available in the UK for less that 2-300 quid that's not made in China. The problem with the brands that come direct is that they are often not what they purport to be or quality control and customer support is non-existent. For some people this isn't a problem and they are quite happy to take their chances.
When all is said and done, scopes are an absolute minefield, even when paying big bucks. No two sets of eyes are the same and everyone's requirements and expectations are that little bit different. You just know that you can never win when you can look through two scopes that are supposedly identical yet one will appear better than the other. What you can usually rely on is that when you climb the price ladder then optical quality and model consistency improves. In many cases you also find that during the lifespan of a product/brand optical quality often seems to reduce.
The only surefire way of telling is trying as many scopes as you possibly can while marrying them to your specific requirements and eyes. The caveat here is not to presume that a brand spanking new version of the scope five or ten year old scope you looked through at the club is going to be exactly the same.
Fabricatum diem, pvnc!
Sam Vimes
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby sapper063 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 pm

mtc scopes i have a mamba optics awsome £200 and after service and advice second to none cant fault them i have it on a 22 rimfire give them a ring
sapper063
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Born Again » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:01 pm

There's no substitute for looking through them. Even a cheap scope can surprise you sometimes. I have a cheap old Zero Option 50mm that works great, especially with an NV add-on, also a Dowling & Rowe that's good for the money.
Born Again
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby jordang » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:22 pm

like has been said, everyone has different eyes. I can only really comment on the ones ive owned/used.

these are ones i found good.

lightstream
nikon buckmasters
S&B hungarian
zeiss conquest
mtc viper

hawke were the only brand ive looked through that was poor (in low light and at high mag) :turd:

if i were spending alot of cash i would probably buy second hand, as most quality scopes seem to last a lifetime (thats just because im tight lol). in fact thinking about it, i have never bought a scope brand new from a shop and have never had any problems. :) Just make sure you look through whatever you decide to buy :thup:
jordang
Pea shooter
Pea shooter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby SST » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:25 pm

Avoid Simmons and Tasco. Zeiss, Swarovski, and Leupold make a good scope. Leupolds are a better price in the US, and have good eye relief. Leupold has the best warranty in the business. Lifetime-and it doesn't matter if you are the original owner.
Regards,
Sam Taylor
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

SST’s Rifle Room
http://angelfire.com/mo2/rifleroom
SST
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby thibben » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:05 am

Alex,

It is down to budget, but it also depends on how much you're going to depend on the scope. if you are looking to use is locally on your normal shoots then the knock on of it failing is not much. If however you are say going abroad to compete or hunt then your scope failing has a greater meaning. Relaibility of adjustments, not fogging up etc. factor in. Not all the 'high end' scopes stand up to scrutiny, I've been to competitons whrere they test your scope for tracking before you can commence shooting, if it fails then either you change it or go home, so paying more for your scope might be worth it, it's down to your use.

Scopes I'd recomend to others from personal experiance:
S&B
Nightforce (both NSX & Benchrest)
Zeiss (German and American)
Some models of Leupold
Burris
Old Unertls (external adjustment)

Scopes that others I'd trust have used:
March
Premier

Brgds Terry
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
thibben
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Andy006 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:49 pm

You cant beat a good EB Sniper scope. :thup: ;)
AMTA appreciation society
Andy006
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Keef » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:00 pm

Andy_J wrote:You cant beat a good EB Sniper scope. :thup: ;)

You wouldn't be biased by this would you by any chance?

http://www.shootforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3271

:grin: :grin:
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Andy006 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:06 pm

Keef wrote:

Who me? Biased? Never. :grin: But no one can argue, the EB Sniper is the most succssesful HFT scope ever. 8-)
Andy006
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Gary C » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:56 pm

Andy_J wrote:
Keef wrote:

Who me? Biased? Never. :grin: But no one can argue, the EB Sniper is the most succssesful HFT scope ever. 8-)

Means nothing tho Andy. Pushed by Pete, the organiser so everybody followed. The success is based in a sport where DOF has an artificially high priority due to rules that don't exist in the real world. For a Japanese scope quality is intermittent - slidey turrets for instance.

Having said that, if you get a 2nd hand one from a reputable person they are a very competent scope and I'd not hesitate to buy yours if I wanted a 10x44 MB

let me stress here, not having a go at Pete for pushing his stuff. He is doing the right thing, I did the same based on my HFT success.
Gary C
Hunter
Hunter
Trade Member
Trade Member

Postby Andy006 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:58 pm

Gary C wrote:
Means nothing tho Andy. Pushed by Pete, the organiser so everybody followed. The success is based in a sport where DOF has an artificially high priority due to rules that don't exist in the real world. For a Japanese scope quality is intermittent - slidey turrets for instance.

Having said that, if you get a 2nd hand one from a reputable person they are a very competent scope and I'd not hesitate to buy yours if I wanted a 10x44 MB

let me stress here, not having a go at Pete for pushing his stuff. He is doing the right thing, I did the same based on my HFT success.

You'd buy mine? But the EB is a 10x42 mate, so it wouldn't suit you sir. ;) :razz:

As it happens Gary, I purchased my EB quite a while before Pete Sparks started pushing them. It's been sat in my cupboard ever since you pushed the viper and I got one of those. ;) The quality though is quite good and the optics very, very clear. I just prefer the SCB reticle at this present time having got used to it. Although I also have a very nice Burris timberline on my GML and that by god is a superb scope.
ps, Gary, is there a Mamba 10x44 model with low turrets? Also, any plans for a 4-14x34 scb reticled scope?

regards

your old mate,
Andy
Andy006
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby varminter » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:31 pm

I use cameras professionally, I used to be in the camera trade, and I've used rifle scopes for years. I think optics are perfect examples of "you get what you pay for" - cheap optics are a PITA, nasty, leave a bad taste in the mouth, don't work well or consistently, etc. People forget that the mechanics are just as important as the glass.
There can be exceptions under some circumstances: I have a small cheap Jap 4x scope that was rebuilt by a friend, incorporating a Lee Dot reticle, and on a rimfire rifle recoil isn't an issue so it works fine.
But in general I'd stick to Leupold, excellent glass and the company has given me exceptional after-sales service - I shipped my 6-20 back to have it retro-fitted with target turrets, and they charged a derisory low fee and returned it via airmail extremely quickly. You don't get that with Nikko....
I've also owned a used Swarovski 8x56, beautiful tough as nails. Friends with S&B have sometimes experienced poor finish, that flaked off, though optically they're great. Zeiss are excellent. Nikon scopes never used to be available here, and still seem hard to come by, but in the States they have a good reputation, like the cameras.
My two penn'orth. Malcolm
varminter
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby brno17 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:15 pm

another vote for the schmidt from me.

atb alan.
brno17
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Steyrscout » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:29 pm

I have just got myself a IOR Scope 6x24x50 Tactical with a MP8 Illuminated reticule, with a 35mm Tube. I am very happy with it.

Steve.
Steyrscout
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Next

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision