divine

General scope question

Don't buy cheap glass!

General scope question

Postby GreenGoddess » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:09 pm

Hi folks,

I run a UK photographic accessory company and we have had a lot of requests for adapters to mount cameras onto rifle scopes. We have sold a lot of "make do" products over the years but I am in the process of developing and patenting a purpose made adapter.
I know nothing about shooting so I am asking for your help. I need to know the most common eyepiece diameters for rifle scopes. Can any of you help? The adapter we are designing will be able to adjust to fit the most common rifle scopes. So, if any of you can give me a general idea of the minimum and maximum external eyepiece diameters of commonly used rifle scopes it would help immensely.

For example, we could hopefully manufacture an adapter that will adjust to fit external rifle scope eyepieces from, say, 36mm up to 46mm depending on what dimensions you experts provide.

Best regards

Jamie
GreenGoddess

Re: General scope question

Postby flintlok » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:37 pm

Most rifle scope mounts are adapted to fit the body of the tube which is 1 inch or 30 mm. There are lots of object lens sizes that can vary from one inch to 56 mm. It seriously difficult so say which size in more popular as scopes selection often depends on the type of shooting that you would do and the distance that you intend to shot. All scope are mounted with scope rings that are adapted to a limited set of scope mounts bases. You would want to adapt your scopes to those mounting systems. Note that the mount base is the part that is bolted or machined into the rifle on the top of the receiver also known as the action body. Weaver mounts are very common as are the Picatinny rail mounts (also know as MIL-STD-1913 rail mounts or STANAG 2324 rail mounts). These mount bases are slotted. The Picatinny rail is slotted are regular and precise intervals so that anyone can create a system to fit the slots. The Weaver mounts are met to be adapted to the scope rings the can slide along the 'scope body sit fit tot the bases so there is no set interval. In the US I would opt for the Picatinny rail system. It's highly popular and will fit loads of rifles. The other option is the Weaver where you would need some sort of sliding rail that would lock in place that could be adapted to any Weaver mount base placed on a rifle. It's important for the scope to lock in place because it will otherwise move on recoil. The slots on a Weaver mount base are slightly dimensionally different than those on a Picatinny rail and therefore not interchange. Another nicety with the Picatinny rail systems it that anyone can buy adapters for varying heights. The Weaver system requires that you provide the correct height adaptor. The dimensions of the slots can be found easily on the net.

This link shows both systems add on and mount bases and how adaptable the are.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=pic ... rail+mount
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:00 pm

flintlok wrote:Most rifle scope mounts are adapted to fit the body of the tube which is 1 inch or 30 mm. There are lots of object lens sizes that can vary from one inch to 56 mm. It seriously difficult so say which size in more popular as scopes selection often depends on the type of shooting that you would do and the distance that you intend to shot. All scope are mounted with scope rings that are adapted to a limited set of scope mounts bases. You would want to adapt your scopes to those mounting systems. Note that the mount base is the part that is bolted or machined into the rifle on the top of the receiver also known as the action body. Weaver mounts are very common as are the Picatinny rail mounts (also know as MIL-STD-1913 rail mounts or STANAG 2324 rail mounts). These mount bases are slotted. The Picatinny rail is slotted are regular and precise intervals so that anyone can create a system to fit the slots. The Weaver mounts are met to be adapted to the scope rings the can slide along the 'scope body sit fit tot the bases so there is no set interval. In the US I would opt for the Picatinny rail system. It's highly popular and will fit loads of rifles. The other option is the Weaver where you would need some sort of sliding rail that would lock in place that could be adapted to any Weaver mount base placed on a rifle. It's important for the scope to lock in place because it will otherwise move on recoil. The slots on a Weaver mount base are slightly dimensionally different than those on a Picatinny rail and therefore not interchange. Another nicety with the Picatinny rail systems it that anyone can buy adapters for varying heights. The Weaver system requires that you provide the correct height adaptor. The dimensions of the slots can be found easily on the net.

This link shows both systems add on and mount bases and how adaptable the are.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=pic ... rail+mount

you`re barking up the wrong tree there david ;)
the answer that is being asked for here are the most common outside diameters of the eye/ocular bell of riflescopes in order to make an adaptor for the purpose of fitting some kind of recording device/camera :thup:
sorry I can`t help :oops:
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Les1066 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:28 pm

GreenGoddess wrote:I know nothing about shooting so I am asking for your help. I need to know the most common eyepiece diameters for rifle scopes. Can any of you help?
Best regards
Jamie

I have just measured four scopes, and the readings are:-

41.34mm
43.04mm
41.98mm
40.75mm

I hope this helps. ;)
Les1066
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby mathspete » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:50 pm

Some sort of jubilee clip type system would be ideal, its holding the various cameras that I think would be the harder problem, I assume if fitting a digital camera to the scope we would just use the screen to aim rather like on the NS200. :thup:
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby GreenGoddess » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:15 pm

Thank you so much guys. According to the measurements provided by Les1066, a variable adapter with a capacity of 40-44mm would do the job. If anyone else could contribute any sizes I would be most grateful.

Yes, mathspete, I believe many shooters aim using just the flip out LCD on their camera. It's also a good way to see in the dark as many video cameras have a built in night vision function.
GreenGoddess

Postby 1066 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:57 pm

One of the major problems with mounting a camera on the back of the scope is "eye relief". When looking through a pair of binoculars or a telescope the eye is placed right up against the ocular, this makes it easy to fit a camera with a simple adapter.

When looking through a telescopic sight the eye is 3-4 inches away from the ocular - this is where the camera lens will need to be. To view the screen on the back of the camera your head will need to be around another foot or so back (unless a view finder type lens is used)

The whole system is not conducive to accurate shooting.

Here's a couple of clips taken with my phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu50D4BKvn4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwD5zu7yTeI
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Postby Coldfinger » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:44 pm

Les1066 wrote:I have just measured four scopes, and the readings are:-

41.34mm
43.04mm
41.98mm
40.75mm

I hope this helps. ;)

Your eyes are too close together :shock:
"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Les1066 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:43 pm

Coldfinger wrote:Your eyes are too close together :shock:

:?
Les1066
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby GreenGoddess » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:49 pm

1066 wrote:One of the major problems with mounting a camera on the back of the scope is "eye relief". When looking through a pair of binoculars or a telescope the eye is placed right up against the ocular, this makes it easy to fit a camera with a simple adapter.

When looking through a telescopic sight the eye is 3-4 inches away from the ocular - this is where the camera lens will need to be. To view the screen on the back of the camera your head will need to be around another foot or so back (unless a view finder type lens is used)

The whole system is not conducive to accurate shooting.

Here's a couple of clips taken with my phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu50D4BKvn4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwD5zu7yTeI

Thanks, I understand all that. Nevertheless, it's what our customers want. I'm not trying to make a world conquering solution, just trying to produce an economical device that there is an obvious demand for.
GreenGoddess

Postby GreenGoddess » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:44 pm

Sorry for the delay in responding. Thanks 1066, those links are extremely helpful and have given me a few ideas. :-)
GreenGoddess

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision