divine

New Scope.

Don't buy cheap glass!

New Scope.

Postby Steyrscout » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:37 pm

Hi All, Well I have taken the plunge and bought myself a IOR 6x24x50 scope, I have also got the lapping kit but what I want to know is how do you guy's and girl's get your scope reticule level?, I was thinking about putting a plumb line on the wall and lining the vertical crosshair of the scope up with the line.

Thanks.

Steve.
Steyrscout
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Re: New Scope.

Postby Tommo » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:06 pm

Steve.. glad you got the scope you wanted mate. There very good.. and I'm jealous :razz:

The way I got mine sorted on the Remy was to mount it in my cleaning tray, making sure it was as close to level as could by eye. Then I placed a small spirit level on the elevation turret at right angles to the scope and, with the scope in the rings but loose enough to move, just jiggled it around until the bubble was dead centre. I think you'll find that once you have the horizontal the rest will be true too.

I tried this some time ago, when I knew nothing, by trial and error and with the rifle mounted up and down to my shoulder...!!! Needless to say it don't work very well at all.. if at all.. :thdn: :roll: :thdn:

Hope this helps mate. :grin:
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Re: New Scope.

Postby thibben » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:36 am

Steve,

If you have a full length rail then there is normally a 'flat' on the underside of the scope where the knobs are. Mount your scope and use flat packing, feeler gauges etc. to make sure the flat on the scope is parallel to the top of the rail - hope that made sense?

The reel test is to draw a vertivle line on a piece of card with a dot at the bottom. At say 100 yards shoot at the dot then wind up as much elevation you can and shoot at the same dot. If you scopes on 'straight' the elevated shot should still be on the line.

Terry
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
thibben
Hunter
Hunter

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision