divine

Zeiss Terra 4x12x50

Don't buy cheap glass!

Zeiss Terra 4x12x50

Postby Tommo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:10 am

I picked this up at the CLA Game Fair over the weekend and I have to say, given the budget price, it's still class glass as you'd expect from Zeiss.

http://www.guns.gb.com/contents/media/l ... -12x42.jpg

I paid £395.00 for the scope along with a £25 cash back. The scope is very robust but not heavy and comes with a plex reticule in 2nd FP. Clarity is pure Zeiss, I was spotting stuff at the end of my garden when the light had all but gone. Turrets are nice and firm and very positive giving quarter inch MOA and are of the low hunting type.

I wasn't intending to buy anything on the first day of the GF but I happened to ask the guy at Zeiss (there stand was very busy..) how many they had with them. "Two left" he replied so I threw caution to the wind and made my purchase. To be fair I did see three sold when I was there and was told they'd sold eight before those, and mine, went.

Impressions of this years Game Fair were confused. One the one hand it was nice on Friday, the traditionally quieter day, to have lots of space to move around and visit stands. From previous visits to GF the numbers were less than I'd expected. The weather was good and the rain forecast for mid-afternoon didn't appear until we were back in our hotel having our meal..!!!

Saturday didn't seem much better either. The day began rather dull and overcast with more of a cooling breeze. By 1 O'clock the rain was on, not torrential but steady and then all the stands filled up.. mostly with people sheltering from the rain. We, excuse the pun, bailed out at around 4pm and a lot or people were doing the same. Sadly I think the numbers this year are going to be well down.

Personally I think the CLA GF panders to those who buy tweed pyjamas etc. What the hell is the point in having TWO McClarren supercars and three Rolls Royces on show??? The bloody VIP's (whoever they are) were pointedly being ferried in in 'Rollers' and dropped off right in front of the main entrance - a riding crop's length from the poor people.. the only missing was Serf riding lessons. :shock: :Facepalm: ;)

Whilst I'm on about GF's there's a new one happening specific to Lancashire, called the Lancashire Game & Country Festival it's being held a little south of Lancaster 12th and 13th September. Entry is only £10.00.
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Re: Zeiss Terra 4x12x50

Postby Deallad » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:17 am

I had a Zeiss Durylit scope and it was fantastic very good in low light conditions.

I recently bought a pair of Zeiss binoculars with range finder, the glass again is superb, I use Schmidt and Bender scopes on my rifles and construction is superb, saying that though the zeiss was without doubt brighter at night.

The main problem I found with Zeiss scopes is the lack of adjustment, it's so anoying when you run out of elevation, that is where the S & B tops the Zeiss.

My overall feeling is if S & B teamed up with Zeiss the would produce the best optics in the world.

Mike
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Tommo » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:50 pm

Deallad wrote:
...My overall feeling is if S & B teamed up with Zeiss the would produce the best optics in the world.

I think you'd be right on that score Mike. There's no getting away from the basic fact that European makes of scope (regardless of where they are actually assembled) are the best.

Personally I think the most underrated scope is Meopta. But I am well happy with this Zeiss 'Terra' I have now. :thup: :thup: :thup:
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Postby Ray7756 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:01 pm

Tommo wrote:I picked this up at the CLA Game Fair over the weekend and I have to say, given the budget price, it's still class glass as you'd expect from Zeiss.

http://www.guns.gb.com/contents/media/l ... -12x42.jpg

I paid £395.00 for the scope along with a £25 cash back. The scope is very robust but not heavy and comes with a plex reticule in 2nd FP. Clarity is pure Zeiss, I was spotting stuff at the end of my garden when the light had all but gone. Turrets are nice and firm and very positive giving quarter inch MOA and are of the low hunting type.

What the hell is the point in having TWO McClarren supercars and three Rolls Royces on show??? The bloody VIP's (whoever they are) were pointedly being ferried in in 'Rollers' and dropped off right in front of the main entrance - a riding crop's length from the poor people.. the only missing was Serf riding lessons. :shock: :Facepalm: ;)

Whilst I'm on about GF's there's a new one happening specific to Lancashire, called the Lancashire Game & Country Festival it's being held a little south of Lancaster 12th and 13th September. Entry is only £10.00.

Lets face it Tommo guys our age need all the help we can get with vision, if you were annoyed about the rolls should have given me a shout I would have taken you there in mine :lol: :lol: :lol: if you paid for the petrol :grin: :grin:
Zeisse are top scopes well done on getting a good deal
Cheers
Ray
Ray7756
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Tommo » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:05 pm

Ray7756 wrote:
..Lets face it Tommo guys our age need all the help we can get with vision, if you were annoyed about the rolls should have given me a shout I would have taken you there in mine :lol: :lol: :lol: if you paid for the petrol :grin: :grin:
Zeisse are top scopes well done on getting a good deal
Cheers
Ray

Hi Ray.. hope all is well with you and yours. I have had occasion to use this Zeiss Terra scope since my original post and it's certainly Zeiss quality. Light gathering at dusk, looking into undergrowth is amazing and the image is crystal clear and sharp right out to the edges. I'm certain it would make a pretty good scope on a .243 or .308 for deer. I think there must be a 'Zeiss Factor' as well, because I've never really liked bog-standard Plex reticles... until now. I'm warming to it.. :grin: ;) :thup:

Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Keef » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:52 am

If you're buying Zeiss scopes no wonder you're washing mops instead of buying new ones! :) :)
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Ray7756 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:10 pm

I have a zeiss conqust on my 22-250 its a cracking scope and i got it on gumtree of all places :thup: :thup:
Keep checking but havnt seen another one ,,,,YET
Hope you and the rev are doing well
Cheers
Ray
Ray7756
Hunter
Hunter

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision