divine

Reflections on Reflex Scope

Don't buy cheap glass!

Reflections on Reflex Scope

Postby flintlok » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:20 pm

I went to the Springfield Gun Show yesterday in West Springfield, Massachusetts. There I bought yet another reflex scope from a company called Georgia Optics. The always discount their scopes and the price although not cheap was the best bargain to had. The scope is a Trijicon MRO. I already own three other Trijicon reflex scopes, the SRS, the RX34, and the RX 06. I also have s few of their regular rifle scopes. The reflex system is easy to understand. The objective lens is semi mirrored and reflects the light from a calibrated lamp usually fiber optic or an LED. Sometimes there there’s a tritium lamp as a back up for the fiber optic. I like the fiber optic as found in the RX 06 as it never needs batteries however that is somewhat moot as the LED lamp will run for years without a battery change.

The new MRO is a somewhat smaller reflex scope that features a mount that witnesses with sights on my AR 15 and I’m happy with it. I read some scathing reviews MRO that didn’t make any sense to me. Since the objective lens is semi mirrored it will reflect light from a source behind the shooter. It’s usually seen as a secondary colored flare either reddish or bluish in tint. That was a major complaint however it’s never cause me to miss a target or delay a shot. The dot is much brighter than the flare. The flare doesn’t obstruct the target. It produces a color tint in part of the objective lens. Then there was a complaint that the reflex sight has a color tint usually bluish. That’s merely due to the reflective mirrored coating on the objective lens. Still it’s not something that would cause me to miss a target or withhold a shot. The only issue that I’ve had with reflex sights with fiber optic lamps is the wash out that occurs when shooting from a poorly lit area into bright day light. There’s not enough light to make the fiber optic lamp glow enough it poorly lit area to over come the bright light so bright light will overwhelm the lamp and will make the dot hard to see. This can be compensated by using a Tennebrex ARD device that reduces the light coming into the objective lens from a very bright target. In reality it’s not much of a problem if you using the reflex scope outside in the field with the ambient light is more or less uniform.

Those are the issues that the reflex sights and still I’ve never missed or gave up a shot due to those issues. The reflex scope is a short body light weight scope and it’s as fast as it gets for sighting a rifle. Where the dot goes is pretty much were the bullet goes. There’s typically little to no magnification so you can expect to get iron sight accuracy with them. If you feel that flare and light is an issue then you be better off with a full sized scope. That’s the gold standard. A variable 1X to 4X or 6X would get you by nicely in heavily wooded New England. Still you’d give up have the size and weight of a scope versus a compact and light reflex sight.

As an aside on the way home in the Berkshires I pulled over on the side of a busy highway to find a local seafood restaurant on my cell phone. Within a minute a Massachusetts State Trooper pulled up behind me with his lights flashing. He ask what the problem was and I explain that I pulled over to look at the net on my cell phone of a good local seafood restaurant. There we were on a busy highway discussing local restaurants and the best seafood to be found. We decided on a local place after his favorable review and I was off and on my way again. It was a good weekend.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision