Switch to full style
Don't buy cheap glass!
Write comments

Scope suggestions

Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:32 pm

Hello what would be recommended for my hw35k.22 i use it for hunting, i dont want to spend a fortune,
Thankyou

Re: Scope suggestions

Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:41 pm

how much you want to spend, everyone’s fortunes are different ;)

Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:07 am

£60 max.

Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:08 am

Maybe abit over depending how good the scope is! :thumbs:

Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:01 pm

You don't get much for £60-00

Well much worth having

Mike

Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:17 am

Have a look at the sales section on the airgunbbs; you'll get a decent second hand scope there for £60. Not much in the sales section here.

£60 new will buy you utter :turd:

Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:32 pm

How much should i be spending?

Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:41 pm

Lewishill wrote:How much should i be spending?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAWKE-PANORAM ... SwGYVW9qU3

Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:41 pm

really good for the money :thumbs:

Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:27 pm

Lewishill wrote:How much should i be spending?

An OK all rounder will tend to be in the over £100 brackets though if your going to zero it and leave it alone you may find a cheaper scope works for you, I soon found that cheap was a false economy.

I place rifle scopes in the following brackets

£0 to 100 poo general rule avoid wont take the knocks and survive
£100 to £150 getting better the low end Bushnell gear is not too bad, the XLT range are quite nice
£150 to £200 The mid to higher end Hawke and mid range Bushnell (Legend) will cater for general range and target where constant adjustment is not required
£200 to £350 Some nice glass in this bracket with some high end used stuff finding its way here
£350 to £700 the Leupold range have some nice offerings in this bracket and high end used appear here quite regular
£700 to £1500 we are moving into the bracket where quality shines
£1500 +++++ High end S&B Zeiss top Leupold built to last years and do the job in hand

In glass the more you pay the better you get, if your punching holes in paper on a well lit area a cheaper optic is not an issue, if your out at night low end scopes tend to work not so well after light fades, tracking may be a problem on the cheaper gear, very frustrating when you wind up a few clicks and find its also gone off vertical.

Some scopes fall apart on spring air rifles with vibration so check if it is built for it.

Mike

Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:29 pm

I agree with Deallad. Rifle scopes are one of those things in life where you get exactly what you pay for. There nothing more useless than a scope that will not hold its zero, is a dog to adjust to do cheap plastic worn gearing, and has so much aberration that you can't make out what you're shooting at. I bought cheap optics in the past that were useless in dim light and I finally replaced them with something decent. My scopes tend to be high end however they tend to last forever.

Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:50 pm

On my Steyr LG110 air rifle I have a Leupold 6-16x40 AO AR tactical its 1/2 MOA but great on an air rifle also have one on the Ruger 1022 custom

on my CZ 455 I have the 6.5-20 x40 AO with duplex ret, great on a 22 for daylight rabbit and target on the range.

On the other 455 I have the 6.5.5-20x50 30mm tube great for the win mag and 17hmr

On the marlin 39a I have the Zeiss Conquest 2-8x42 illuminated ret, parallax set at 25 yards, now this is a superb scope amazing at night, worth the £800 I paid for it

Moving on to the centre fire Remington 700 Police LTR I have the Smidt and Bender 5-25x56 PM2 with P3 Ret ffp a fantastic scope though wish I had got the P4f Ret

on the Accuracy International AXMC 300 Win mage the S&B 5-25x56 pm2 with P4f this scope never fails to let me down simply amazing v bull on v bull at 1000 plus yards

When I get the 6.5 Creedmore Ruger I'm thinking about the Hensoldt 4-16x56 ffp

Seeing is believing

Mike

Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:30 pm

I had a client fall on his arse on ice this year with my S&B taking the full force of the drop, on a tarmac road this year.

The Mounts broke, but the scope was intact.. It cost me £250 quid second hand, and looks like shit, but the optics are awesome... Steel built and made to last!

Schmidt and Bender are the best!!!! :)

And for that money, no other scope could have taken that knock.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:53 pm

Buy the best optics you can afford
Or regret it every time

Dont be fooled by hi mag and loads of bells an whistle adjustments
Get simple and quality gear ...it'll last you a lifetime and not let you down :thumbs:
Write comments