divine

Good AR optic?

Don't buy cheap glass!

Good AR optic?

Postby Yliaerise » Fri May 17, 2019 9:38 am

I'm looking for an optic for my SHTF AR. It's just your basic 16" Colt, although that role is sorta also filled with a SIG MCX.
The default for a long time was an ACOG, but lately I hear a lot that it's obsolete, eye relief is not so great, etc. So what would you former and current high speed low drag types use if you had a choice? I'm not sure I want to spend for an Elcan.
Is there a commercially available prism sight that out-ACOGs the ACOG? Or something else? Hoping to stay in the 3 digit price range, but if a superior sight by a good margin is out there, I can think about spending up for it.
Yliaerise

Re: Good AR optic?

Postby Haggis » Fri May 17, 2019 5:53 pm

Yliaerise wrote:ISo what would you former and current high speed low drag types use if you had a choice?

Have you joined the right place? We're mostly former High Drag Low Speed around here.
Haggis
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Sat May 18, 2019 2:26 am

I have several scopes for my AR's including the ACOG. One "inexpensive" scope that I like is Trijicon AccuPower 1-4x24 MOA. At 1 magnification the scope acts like a reflex dot scope for quick hunting shots. I use the 4x for longer distances. It's a bigger scope than the ACOG.
The ACOG is hard to beat for size and magnification. The ELCAN is a wider body scope than the ACOG. Trijicon came out with a first focal plane 1x6 power VCOG. It's a great battle proof scope but it's heavier than the Trijicon AccuPower 1-4x24 MOA. I rarely use the ACOG or the VCOG. I tend to use the AccuPower most or Trijicon a reflex type scope. I live densely forested New England where the long shots are rare. A 4 to 6 magnification is the rule here. There's just too many trees for anything larger.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby GGG » Sat May 18, 2019 1:45 pm

I use a Sightron S-Tac 1-7×24.

Review here https://youtu.be/BTWcHKNcnRw
GGG
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Fadertum » Wed May 29, 2019 3:11 pm

Hello. And what about the model Vortex Vortex Optics Copperhead 4-12 × 44 is a long-range budget model https://opticzoo.com/vortex-optics-copperhead-4-12x44-review/. It seems to me that for active recreation this is a suitable model, it is still very convenient that this manufacturer has a lifetime warranty. I want to get this scope for my birthday.
Fadertum

Postby Deallad » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:36 am

Leupold make an AR range of scopes.

they have a 3-9 x40 4-12x40 and a 6-18x40 great scopes Mil dot M5 ret

They are designed primarily for 223rem or 5.56 NATO Leupold even make custom bullet drop turrets if you supply them with your data

I have 3 of them on rifles one is fitted to my Ruger 1022 competition rifle one on my CZ455 and one on my Steyr air rifle very clear bright optics and lifetime warranty.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-sc ... -4-12x40mm

Mike
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter