divine

Starlight Archer Night Vision

Don't buy cheap glass!

Starlight Archer Night Vision

Postby onelesscharlie » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:34 pm

After saving my pennies for a while I have now taken receipt of a gen2 night vision monocular.
I have opted for an "Archer" model from Starlight NV in Manchester, this model can be used either as a hand held monocular or can be fitted via an adapter to the ocular bell of a standard scope with parallax adjustment.
Fitting of the unit was relatively simple however adrenalin takes over and simple errors that seem obvious when you look at them can creep in. (more about those errors later)
The focus ring on the eyepiece needs adjusting to give a sharp crosshair prior to clamping the adaptor into place and when positioning the adapter you need to remember that you twist the archer into position when it locks on. So schoolboy error 1 is to remember to allow for approx 15 degrees of twist or the unit sits at the 2 o clock position rather than vertical.

moderator 017.jpg
adaptor showing the bayonet style fitting

Once the adapter is positioned and tightened you can simply push the archer into place and twist to lock.

moderator 018.jpg
archer in position

I waited until dusk to have a quick peek through it (resisting the dark airing cupboard option) and spent a quarter of an hour making schoolboy errors 2 & 3 and possibly a few more that im not going to own up to.
I sat the rifle on the bonnet of my landrover, pointing toward the bell tower of the local church (approx 150 yards), turned the unit and the illuminator on and took a peek.
Absolutely f**k all, fuzzy darkness was all I could see. Here was schoolboy error 2... lift the front flip up cover on the scope. Lifted the cover and I could see a vague image but not the image that I was expecting. Here was schoolboy error number three because I had now lifted the cover up so it was blocking the IR illuminator. So took off the front flip up cover and turned it through 90 degrees so that it was out of the way.
For the third time I took a peek and there was the bell tower in full darkness to the naked eye.. but in full sharp focus and lit up like fair ride through the scope.

I took the unit back indoors and took a few more images prior to going for a quick spin.

moderator 022.jpg

moderator 021.jpg

moderator 020.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't see any foxes but the archer was simply excellent, if I had taken the 17hmr or the 22rf I could have shot loads of alternatives, however this was only a test run.
I will be making a modification to my stock to allow for the new head position, you quickly get used to it but i dont like having the rifle away from my shoulder. If anyone is interested I will post some details of this kit once it is finished.
Tonight I will take the 17hmr with its own adapter fitted and the 223 and if anyone is interested I can post how we get on.

Onelesscharlie :grin: :grin:
onelesscharlie
Banned
Banned

Re: Starlight Archer Night Vision

Postby Beer Hunter » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:05 pm

Great stuff! :)
How is the eye relief?

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby Elwood » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:25 pm

That looks so damned awkward to shoot, the butt needs to be 6 inches longer and a piece of string tied to the trigger so you can yank it when a shot needs to be taken.

I will be very interested in your stock modifications, these units in my humble opinion need an adjustable butt pad spacer system that will add at least an extra 4 inches in length.
Elwood
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby onelesscharlie » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:40 pm

Hi
An adjustable spacer system is exactly what I had in mind.
As you can see I have a synthetic stock that has plenty of voids in it to take spacer rods, I will make a dummy butt plate for these rods to slide through.
On the end of the rods will be a further dummy plate with the existing rubber pad attached to it, then I can simply slide the rubber pad in and out to the required position.

Well thats the plan :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
onelesscharlie
Banned
Banned

Postby buck52 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:01 pm

I'm not being critical but I dont see how you can shoot it with no eye relief, I fancied one of these but that issue is putting me off
buck52
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby onelesscharlie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:32 pm

Hi
I was exactly the same and expected to have to have an eyeball presses up against the lens waiting for the cut eyebrow.
In reality your eye is a couple of inches away from the lens and you have a soft rubber cup to press against.
Im getting more used to it now and hope to try it tonight with the adjustable stock, this should offer a more normal position.
Perhaps the best thing to do is get some pics of someone actually using it, then you can judge for yourself.

regards

OLC :)
onelesscharlie
Banned
Banned

Postby buck52 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:40 pm

I,d be interested to see any pics, I'm sure it must work because so many have been sold, I think the Warrener had one for awhile and he gave it a good review.
buck52
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby dicehorn » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:08 am

buck52 wrote:I,d be interested to see any pics, I'm sure it must work because so many have been sold, I think the Warrener had one for awhile and he gave it a good review.

From what I know of the Warrener - he would give a bent penny a good review if he was given it :grin: :grin: :grin:
dicehorn
Trade Member
Trade Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby onelesscharlie » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:42 am

Oooooh thats harsh ;)

Here are a couple of images of the adjustable recoil pad fitted, it makes a lot of difference to stability.
If anyone wants details just pm me.

OLC :) :)
DSC02303.JPG

DSC02304.JPG

DSC02305.JPG
onelesscharlie
Banned
Banned

Postby dicehorn » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:26 pm

That extension looks like the answer providing your right arm is long enough to reach the trigger comfortably.

I have NV that slips over the scope same as yours but mine (not available in UK) only increases length by 4 inches so needs little adjustment when shooting.
dicehorn
Trade Member
Trade Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby practical » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:28 pm

nice set up onelesscharlie nice bit of engineering on the but extension

dicehorn what unit you got-pvs 14?
practical
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Rancid Badger » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:21 pm

I am probably being utterly stupid here (feel free to tell me), but does anyone make an NV scope which can also be used in daylight? ie: just turn off the image intensifier.

Alternatively, is anyone aware of an NV attachment (such as the Archer) which would fit onto the objective end of a normal scope?
Charles S Rosson 1963 12g BLNE
Henry Monk 1913 12g SLE
Benelli Super Sport 12g
Mossberg 590 12g
Tac-Sol AR-22
Custom Varmint CZ452
Rancid Badger
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Elwood » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:35 pm

Day/night scope, you will of course be limited to 6x magnification night and day

http://www.nvscopes.com/night%20vision% ... 20752.html

Front objective attachment.

Google, night vision PS-22
Elwood
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Foxyfil » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:04 pm

After a recent trip out foxing with my local keeper and his Archer, I was hooked, after killing a vixen at 250yd, and the next day I ordered one from Manchester. I opted for a D grade tube, because the difference between the B and the D is not worth a grand
I have't got a parallax adj scope , so had to buy one, so after speaking to Julian, opted for a Leupold VX3 4.5-14X50, as it is totally compatible with the Archer unit.
I am awaiting delivery as we speak.
I also have a N550 Pulsar, which, now I have the IR flashlight sorted out is a good piece of kit, but can be limited on range. Its got a Dr. Bob doubler fitted now and its improved it a lot, increasing the mag to almost 8X. I reckon I will use that as the spotting setup for the Archer.
Anybody out there used a handheld lamp with an IR filter in conjunction with NV?
I'd be interested to know what you think, as they're expensive for a bit of black plastic.
Foxyfil

Postby hungryrob » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:49 pm

Foxyfil wrote:After a recent trip out foxing with my local keeper and his Archer, I was hooked, after killing a vixen at 250yd, and the next day I ordered one from Manchester. I opted for a D grade tube, because the difference between the B and the D is not worth a grand
I have't got a parallax adj scope , so had to buy one, so after speaking to Julian, opted for a Leupold VX3 4.5-14X50, as it is totally compatible with the Archer unit.
I am awaiting delivery as we speak.
I also have a N550 Pulsar, which, now I have the IR flashlight sorted out is a good piece of kit, but can be limited on range. Its got a Dr. Bob doubler fitted now and its improved it a lot, increasing the mag to almost 8X. I reckon I will use that as the spotting setup for the Archer.
Anybody out there used a handheld lamp with an IR filter in conjunction with NV?
I'd be interested to know what you think, as they're expensive for a bit of black plastic.

Have a look at Alana ecology. They sell IR filter plastic which you can adapt to fit torches etc...

Mucho cheapness option :)
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Next

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision