divine

nikko sterling gold crown

Don't buy cheap glass!

nikko sterling gold crown

Postby bruno527 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:56 pm

Nikkos seem to have an impressive range of scopes, what calibre are they rated ?? anyone use them, & on what cal ?? . Im looking at a 4-12x42 gold crown, for a old 270 or 308 cal rifle.

Thanks
Its all in the placement !
bruno527
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: nikko sterling gold crown

Postby varminter » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:08 pm

Some will disagree violently but I wouldn't recommend Nikko at all. You can see through the glass OK though it's not brilliant, but the build quality just doesn't hack it. I wouldn't be happy with one on any centrefire, especially something as pokey as .270. I tried one briefly on my old No.4 Mk1 and fifty rounds shook it loose inside. Cheap glass is a bitter disappointment after you realise you've wasted money on it. Burris is far better.... But if you really want a Nikko you can make me an offer for a practically unused 6x42 I acquired years ago.
Regards, Malcolm
varminter
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby nico243 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:05 pm

Well I have to disagree!!
Admittedly they are not the best "OPTICALLY PERFECT" scopes on the market but they are VERY, VERY good for the low price tag, I have used them extensively on .223, .22-250, .243 and .308 to name a few calibres (also used em on sub-12ft.lbs air-rifles and rimmys) and I've had none fail on me, all have held perfect zero, yes they're are better scopes around but the price tags are much much higher!!
We do not inherit land, we borrow it from our children
nico243
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby bruno527 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:44 pm

After trying a mid range Nikko..i'll pass !! :grin:
Its all in the placement !
bruno527
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Sam Vimes » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:39 pm

bruno527 wrote:After trying a mid range Nikko..i'll pass !! :grin:

You didn't seriously expect them to match the quality of the scopes you usually use did you? :shock: ;)
Hope it wasn't a Nighteater but I suspect it will have been. I don't like them as much as the Diamond range or even the budget Gold Crown stuff. ;)
Fabricatum diem, pvnc!
Sam Vimes
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Linegeist » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:01 pm

I have to say I still have a battered Gold Crown that I've had kicking around for the last 7 years, and that's been bolted onto everything from my rabbitting rimmie (and repeatedly dragged around the Aberdeenshire countryside in sub-zero conditions) to a 7.62 FN that I used for Sanglier hunting in France (where it was repeatedly dragged around the baking French countryside in a major heatwave).

Right now it's bolted onto my Axsor and it's still holding perfect zero, is clearer than my ageing eyesight needs and has never needed attention.

They might be cheap scopes - but they so seem to do what they say on the tin ............... with a modicum of commen sense applied of course. Sticking one on a PAK* might well give it conniptions. :oops:

*PAK=Panzer Abwehr Kanone
.........und die power wird mit dir sein.........

Feror cupidine partium interdum Europae vincendarum magnarum
I get this urge to conquer parts of Europe and, sometimes, large men
Linegeist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Punchsteve's neighbour ........ on glorious Anglesey!

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision