divine

Eotech HWS

Don't buy cheap glass!

Eotech HWS

Postby Rancid Badger » Sun May 24, 2009 4:21 pm

I was looking at buying an Eotech holographic sight to go on my AR-15, which is mainly for bunnies sub 60yrds & wondered if anyone had any experience/views on them?
Charles S Rosson 1963 12g BLNE
Henry Monk 1913 12g SLE
Benelli Super Sport 12g
Mossberg 590 12g
Tac-Sol AR-22
Custom Varmint CZ452
Rancid Badger
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Eotech HWS

Postby The Burpster » Sun May 24, 2009 5:11 pm

Not an eotech but.....

I do use one of these on my 10/22.... its great fun.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/speeddot135.html

Best shot to date has been a 40yd squirrel. I'm happy with that - I wouldn't trust the accuracy of my 10/22 much past that anyway.
Every day you wake up is a good day!

Bob.
The Burpster
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Mr. Gain » Sun May 24, 2009 6:53 pm

I've been using an Eotech on a couple of rifles - a V22, and a Remy 597 in .22 WMR - for a few years now, and most recently have been using it to good effect on a Mossberg 12g. Mine has the 65 MoA ring with a central 1 MoA dot reticle. The ring works well for quick, instinctive targeting, while the dot is precise enough to put 5 rounds into 1.5" ' 100 yards. I've accounted quite a few rabbits with it on the V22, with head shots out to 60 yards, so provided you're eyesight's up to it it should do the business.

Eotech's customer service is good - last year they repaired mine FoC even though it was out of warranty (and, despite the fact that as a "military" NV-compatible model it required an end-user type certificate to ensure it got through the red tape as well as across the Atlantic and back), and it came back good as new, in fact, until I checked the serial I thought they had sent me a new one as there wasn't a mark on it.

The only drawback with the Eotech is that it's designed so that the reticle is at the right height to "co-witness" with the battle sights on an M4, which means that whilst its at just the right height for an AR, it can be too high with a conventional stock unless you fit a substantial comb-raiser.

There are a few nice add-ons for it from GG&G (http://www.gggaz.com) too in the shape of a lever-locking QD base, an extended battery-cover locking lever, and a set of flip-up covers that fit inside the shroud.

Conversely, if you go for one of the mini red dots like the Burris or Aimpoint H1, you'll need a riser block to get a comfortable head position with the AR's in-line stock.

HTH
Mr. Gain
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Rancid Badger » Mon May 25, 2009 12:09 am

Cheers Mr Gain,

My AR is the LT variant rather than the M4, so no carying handle, just the flat-top picitanny rail. Do you think that I'd still need to raise the Eotech up?

Incidentally which Eotech are you using?

Thanks
Henry Monk 1913 12g SLE
Benelli Super Sport 12g
Mossberg 590 12g
Tac-Sol AR-22
Custom Varmint CZ452
Rancid Badger
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Mr. Gain » Mon May 25, 2009 7:53 am

Rancid Badger wrote:My AR is the LT variant rather than the M4, so no carying handle, just the flat-top picitanny rail. Do you think that I'd still need to raise the Eotech up?

No, you won't need a riser to mount an Eotech on an LT receiver. It's designed to be mounted straight to flat-top receivers or railed hand-guards.

The model I have is the 551.A65/1. This has now been discontinued because its compact design depends on N cells, which have been superseded by the more standard and longer-lived CR123s.

I got the NV-compatible model specifically because I was looking for a sight I could use with a Gen 2 head-mounted monocular for foxing with the WMR and 12g. The Eotech's extra NV button accesses a set of ultra-low brightness levels (so low you can't see the reticle in daylight) that allow you to tune almost all the flare from the reticle to give you a nice, clear image. It's just the thing when you get foxes running in to a call!

Unfortunately, since the 'States went overboard on "homeland security" and started buying up loads more combat optics for their foreign wars it's become much harder to get hold of the NV models and I don't know of any other makes that offer this useful facility.
Mr. Gain
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby thibben » Mon May 25, 2009 9:30 am

Rancid,

I've used the EoTech on a semi auto AR-15 and was a relaible sign. Personally I'd go for the AA battery version as these are more readily avaialble and will last many hundreds of hours. FYI dependant on which button you tun the sight on with it will auto shut off after either 4 or 8 hours.

I found the LaRue lever extension a better bet for cleaning http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactic ... .bok?no=33 plus it rises the EoTech above your irons.

You can add the EoTech magnifier if you need a bit more range?

Brgds

Terry
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
thibben
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Mr. Gain » Mon May 25, 2009 1:45 pm

thibben wrote:Personally I'd go for the AA battery version as these are more readily available and will last many hundreds of hours. [...] You can add the EoTech magnifier if you need a bit more range?

Agreed on both points. As it happens, I've only got the N-cell version because when I was looking for one all the AA units were going to the military and only the N's were in stock!
Mr. Gain
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Rancid Badger » Tue May 26, 2009 5:49 pm

Thanks to both Terry & Mr Gain, your input has been very useful in helping me make my mind up.

In particular I hadn't given the NV issue any consideration as I'd hadn't even thought about going down that route, but it certainly may be a useful feature to have for the future.

I've contacted GGG, but unfortunately they wont ship to outside the US, which is a shame as they're bundle deals looked like good value.

I'm now just waiting to hear back from LaRue to see if they'll ship to the UK.

Any other ideas as to where I may be able to source Eotech's from?

Cheers

John
Henry Monk 1913 12g SLE
Benelli Super Sport 12g
Mossberg 590 12g
Tac-Sol AR-22
Custom Varmint CZ452
Rancid Badger
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Mr. Gain » Tue May 26, 2009 8:07 pm

Sourcing tactical optics from the US has become hard work, but you can get Eotechs in the UK from Viking Arms who are the main importer, and the GG&G accessories are available via MidwayUK...all at UK prices too, unfortunately.

In the US, have you tried Botach? (http://search.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=botach&query=eotech&.autodone=http://store.botachtactical.com/nsearch.html) Their service is pretty patchy, I'll warn you now, but they used to ship to the UK and when they had something in stock they'd generally get it to you pretty quickly - it's probably 4 years since I used them last, though, so it's hardly an up-to-date recommendation. Alternatively, last time I looked, the Sportsman's Depot (http://www.sportsmans-depot.com/search.php?search_query=eotech&x=13&y=10) shipped to the UK, so you might try them.

ATB
Mr. Gain
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby AndyUK » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:15 pm

I have one of the 512.A65 models mounted on a Benelli Supernova Shotgun for use with slugs - a friend of mine has the same arrangement - both of us had to fit the high comb piece for correct eye alignment with the Benelli. I'm very pleased with the Eotech. We purchased from this guy: www.claytonsguns.co.uk The site seems to be closed at the moment but there is a link, top right for e-mails - he was MUCH less expensive than others.

Rgds

Andy
AndyUK
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Rancid Badger » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:14 pm

I did contact Botach (amongst others) most of whom declined to ship to the UK.

I received an e.mail yesterday from Viking, who can supply, but are quoting up to 12 weeks lead time (& nearly twice the US price)!
Henry Monk 1913 12g SLE
Benelli Super Sport 12g
Mossberg 590 12g
Tac-Sol AR-22
Custom Varmint CZ452
Rancid Badger
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby practical » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:31 am

When you find a place, would you mind letting me know as well, decided to get one and carnt find one to buy :roll:
practical
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Mr. Gain » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:29 am

Several models of Eotech HWS and accessories are showing as available on MidwayUK's web site:
http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/ebrowse.exe/search?search_keywords=eotech&Click+to+Begin+Search.x=11&Click+to+Begin+Search.y=14&Click+to+Begin+Search=Search_Button

But I guess what you really want is a US supplier who'll ship to the UK. Sadly, this isn't as easy as it was, especially where "tactical" optics are concerned, but I'll let you know if I come across one.

Edited: RB, I've just been through the checkout procedure for an Eotech EOTECH 555 MILITARY STD AA BTTRY on the Sportsman's Depot site I suggested earlier and it calculates shipping for the UK without any problems. Did you try and order from them without success?
Mr. Gain
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby practical » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:43 pm

Hi Mr.Gain

thank you for the above informatation, apologies for the late response i always have log on difficulties with this site.

Haven't tried ordering from the American sight, still trying to find a uk stockist - i like the come back should it go wrong with optics. But i think i tried all the known shops advertising them and they dont have any.

midway uk will be last option.

if we are both after them maybe we could get a better deal buying two?

waiting for a response from a couple of guys but no luck so far what about yourself?
practical
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Mr. Gain » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:21 pm

Practical wrote:if we are both after them maybe we could get a better deal buying two?

Perhaps I didn't mention it, but I've already got mine, bought from the US about 4 years ago. As it happens, I did have a problem with it and had to send it back, but dealt directly with L3 Eotech, whose CS was excellent. Once the paperwork was sorted - a sort of end-user declaration which was provided by Eotech - they got the repaired sight back to me pretty quickly, so in this case buying abroad wasn't much of a drawback at all. All the same, a UK supplier could probably have replaced it immediately.

BTW I've obviously had a better experience with MidwayUK than you have: personally, if I was still looking for one and wanted to buy in the UK, I'd be quite happy to get it from them - assuming of course that their prices are better than Viking's.
Mr. Gain
Rifleman
Rifleman

Next

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision