divine

Quality glass

Don't buy cheap glass!

Quality glass

Postby hungryrob » Sun May 31, 2009 4:39 pm

I recently acquired a slightly dirty ZRAK 6X42 scope..

Against everyone's advice and Phil's (who was standing over me) cries of 'don't do it', I disassembled the scope and found it was easy to do and extremely well built..

what really surprised me was the thickness of the front lens.. It must have been at least 1/2 inch thick!!

The scope is beautifully built and after a good clean, I am very very happy with it. There is no mistaking quality :thup:
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Re: Quality glass

Postby jeff » Sun May 31, 2009 4:50 pm

and to think we only took the piss out of you for how you made the mounts fit..... ;)

I wonder if you've now got an extremely high quality air-filled scope?
Jeff

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
jeff
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby humperdingle » Sun May 31, 2009 6:19 pm

Might be interesting if you put it in the fridge for an hour, then take it out. Just to see if there's any misting on the inner surfaces of the glass.
humperdingle
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby rogerhoad » Sun May 31, 2009 6:34 pm

That must take some doing to produce glass that thick without distortion.

I was reading that some of the glass elements in very large aperture camera lenses made by Nikon and Canon, the sort of thing that you see the media using, have to be cooled gradually for a period of up to 5 years to avoid distortion.

No wonder they cost so much
rogerhoad
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby plugg » Sun May 31, 2009 8:17 pm

hungryrob wrote:I recently acquired a slightly dirty ZRAK 6X42 scope..

Against everyone's advice and Phil's (who was standing over me) cries of 'don't do it', I disassembled the scope and found it was easy to do and extremely well built..

what really surprised me was the thickness of the front lens.. It must have been at least 1/2 inch thick!!

The scope is beautifully built and after a good clean, I am very very happy with it. There is no mistaking quality :thup:

Why fix something if it isnt broken ?

OK..there was a few bits of dust in it but it didnt affect the performance of the glass or the scope. I just thought that you could have buggered it up altogether so why take the chance ?

I have to admit though after you took the wire wool over it, it came up nice :grin:

Seriously Rob, its turned out amazing and right up there with S&B, Zeiss, Swarovski and the rest of them...I would even go as far as to say that its equal or better than the top brands of sports glass :thup:

I was praying you buggered it up...might teach you to leave things alone :razz: ;)

Phil
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby hungryrob » Sun May 31, 2009 10:33 pm

jeff wrote:and to think we only took the piss out of you for how you made the mounts fit..... ;)

I wonder if you've now got an extremely high quality air-filled scope?

No doubt but with all the crap on the inside of the glass, I was sure that the nitrogen was already out.
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision