First one upto £250
Second choice over £250.
Is it really worth spending over £250 ?
Warrick Hunter
Rifleman
Rifleman

Re: Scope for HMR

Postby Beer Hunter » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:00 pm

I feel that both mil-dots and a high mag are invaluable for long range work.
Up to £250, I don't think you can beat a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-26x40 with mil-dot reticule. You can get them sent from the US for this price.
Beyond £250, you really have to go up to a Zeiss, S&B or Swarovski to get anything much better than the Bushnell 4200.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby Warrick Hunter » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:22 pm

Thanks, must have a look through a Bushnell.
I`ve got an mtc on the .22lr. good clear optics.
Warrick Hunter
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby dollyferret » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:33 pm

i just fitted a 8 x 32x 44 nikko sterling platinum nighteater (courtesy of foxy) to my cz 17hmr,i am very impressed 150 yd zero attained effortlessly,clarity superb this goes for less than £200,i have 15 s&bs,5 zeiss,3 gerhardts and 3 swarvoskis so i take my scopes very seriously,so it was big step for me to fit a cheaper scope,but glad to say it performs really well (ask the 3 foxes all shot at 150 yds in 3 minutes)
if you can read this,thank a teacher.
if you can read this in english,thank a soldier
dollyferret
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby DaveK » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:27 pm

Her indoors and me have whitetail Classics on our HMR's at half your budget they're as good as you'll need and spend the balance on a decent set of mounts.
DaveK
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby The Burpster » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:20 am

My best (shooting) mate has just bought an HMR.

I've fitted Eric Brooks dovetail/weaver adapters, Burris Med sig. Zee rings and a Burris Fullfield II 3x10x50.

He's now taking 150yd bunnies every nite...

'eee is very 'appy.... :thup:
Every day you wake up is a good day!

Bob.
The Burpster
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Beer Hunter » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:42 am

dollyferret wrote:...i am very impressed 150 yd zero attained effortlessly...

A 150 yard zero is a bit of a waste of the HMR - you are constantly aiming off. A 100 yard zero gives a much greater point blank range. i.e. (click to enlarge) :
image002.png

dollyferret wrote:...i have 15 s&bs,5 zeiss,3 gerhardts and 3 swarvoskis

With twenty grands worth of other scopes, you decide to fit a Nikko Sterling???!!! :shock:

Kev
Beer Hunter

Postby Warrick Hunter » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:21 pm

which scope has the best reticle for the HMR ?
I would think a slim reticle would be better as it would be used for smaller quarry.
Which type of reticle would be best suited ?
Warrick Hunter
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby dollyferret » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:42 pm

thanks for that kev,will re zero to 100yds tomorrow,the 17hmr has been in the cupboard for the last 2 years ,never been fired,as took out the 17CF,BUT AFTER GETTING ONE OF THE NEW WHISPERS i thought get it out and try it,and i absolutly love it,should have done it sooner,dont regret the choice of the scope either (do me posing with the others,almost a better investment than buy to rent)
re the 150zero,now i know why i missed the first 2 foxes (didnt tell the farmer tho),
if you can read this,thank a teacher.
if you can read this in english,thank a soldier
dollyferret
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Beer Hunter » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:42 pm

There are 2 schools of thought - either dial-in each shot or use hold-over.
If you want to use the first then a plain plex reticule is best. If you are holding over, then a mil-dot or some sort of tactical ret is best.
Personally I used hold-over and a mil-dot ret at 24X mag which effectively gave 1/2 mil-dots. Perfect for shots to the limit of the HMR's ability.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby The Burpster » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:36 am

Warrick Hunter wrote:which scope has the best reticle for the HMR ?
I would think a slim reticle would be better as it would be used for smaller quarry.
Which type of reticle would be best suited ?

Burris ballistic plex-

I love it. Cant recomend it enough.
Every day you wake up is a good day!

Bob.
The Burpster
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Judge Ali » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:42 am

dollyferret wrote:i just fitted a 8 x 32x 44 nikko sterling platinum nighteater (courtesy of foxy) to my cz 17hmr,i am very impressed 150 yd zero attained effortlessly,clarity superb this goes for less than £200,i have 15 s&bs,5 zeiss,3 gerhardts and 3 swarvoskis so i take my scopes very seriously,so it was big step for me to fit a cheaper scope,but glad to say it performs really well (ask the 3 foxes all shot at 150 yds in 3 minutes)

where did you buy this for less than £200? i should have my cz17hmr by the end of the month and need to seriously start looking at scopes now
cheers
alex
Judge Ali
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby sidesy » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:46 pm

MTC 6-24 x 56...its a great scope, super clear optics, full optical picture (no port hole like on a falcon), accurate POI adjustments and looks the dogs backwheels...come on Mr.C...where's these TAIPANS.... :shock:
R7 Rapid S .22 , P.Wilson thumbhole AWT, CZ 452 .17 HMR MTC Viper 56mm / Ruger 10-22 Hawk red dot / Dedicated Ruger 10-22 NV / .223 Remy PSS 4200 tac 6/25 x 50 / .243 Remy Varmint Leup 8.5/25 x 50 mark 4 / .204 Remy Varm. Bettinsoli diamond 12g
sidesy
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby SST » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:23 am

Optics is one of those areas where it is really true that you get what you pay for. I have trouble buying any scope nowadays that doesn't say Leupold on it. Optics are great, eye relief is great, and they have the best warranty in the business. You can always spend more for optics with Zeiss or Swarovski, but I find Leupold a better value.
Regards,
Sam Taylor
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

SST’s Rifle Room
http://angelfire.com/mo2/rifleroom
SST
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Beer Hunter » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:21 am

SST wrote:Optics is one of those areas where it is really true that you get what you pay for. I have trouble buying any scope nowadays that doesn't say Leupold on it. Optics are great, eye relief is great, and they have the best warranty in the business. You can always spend more for optics with Zeiss or Swarovski, but I find Leupold a better value.

From a US perspective, I can certainly understand that. European scopes are expensive there.
Here everything is expensive, but the difference between a top end Leupold and Swarovski's or S&B's is actually quite small.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Next

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision