divine

decent red dot

Don't buy cheap glass!

decent red dot

Postby leadpig » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:21 pm

just a thought and without wanting to start another hmr hate thread ;) ,are there any red dot sights that are any use to 120 yards ie point and shoot,or would it be easier/cheaper/better to just buy a half decent bushnell scope ;)
ta dave
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: decent red dot

Postby Beer Hunter » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:47 pm

Don't do it.
Just no.

The dot will be bigger than a tusker at 120 yards.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby leadpig » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:52 pm

was what i was thinking thanks kev
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby hungryrob » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:54 pm

Dont bother, I had a good red dot sight and it was still crap.

Good for humans at 200 yards, nothing else ;)
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby thibben » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:18 am

Gents,

Have to disagree on the 'rubbish' statment.

I used an Eotech ( http://www.eotech-inc.com/ ) for quite a while on an AR-15 platform (not a 'castrated' AR either ;) ) and found the 1 moa centre dot quite usable out to 100 yards and a little beyound, certainly better than 'man size', typically 4-6" discs were easily aquired ('man size' is achievable with the standard iron sights with an application of a white line up the back o the front site support!). The larger 65moa circle certainly works and is designed for dragging your eye on QCB distances. You can add a 3x maginfier to the Eotech - but it's a bit pricy.

But in saying this you would have to specify what your trying to achive? If you wanted a quick pointing sight with optional better accuracy if needed then something like a Leupold 1.5-5x illuminated dot ( http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shoo ... m-reticle/ ) would be better. On the low setting you can point and shoot, but wind it up to 5x for a 'tighter' shot.

Brgds Terry
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
thibben
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Mr. Gain » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:34 am

Another vote for the Eotech as a viable 100 yd + red-dot sight. In fact Terry's post is right on the money throughout IMO.

Along the same lines, but cheaper, Millett do the Zoomdot, a non-magnifying sight with a red-dot that can be dialled down to just 1 MoA or up to 10 MoA depending on the degree of precision or visibility required, and the DMS 1-4x24 optic, which has an illuminated reticle with features that permit both close-range speed and longer-range precision.
Mr. Gain
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby hungryrob » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:05 am

I had a Cobra sight which I fitted to both my shotgun and 22 rimfire. It had it's uses on the shotgun but didn't compare to my simple burris 4 X 32 for the rimfire. I saw no point :?
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby Fenrir » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:07 am

I have a red dot on the GSG, it is great for a bit of fun shooting at the range but I would not consider it for target work.
For the avoidance of doubt, there is no such thing as "American English". There is the English language and there are mistakes.
Fenrir
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Sam Vimes » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:16 am

There's little doubt that there are some excellent red-dots out there. However, the ones that are really good cost several hundred quid. You can get a pretty damned good scope for that sort of money that is likely to outperform the red-dot in the accuracy stakes.
Red-dots are great for fast intuitive shooting at larger targets or fast intuitive shooting at larger moving targets.
Fabricatum diem, pvnc!
Sam Vimes
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby RichardH » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:38 am

An aimpoint is perfect I used to shoot hundreds of rabbits with one one a shortened M4'd .22 AR15

Or if you can find one a Nikko Eletro Dot scope, 3-9x40 ag with a whole suite of dot reticules.

Richard
RichardH

Postby Sam Vimes » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:53 am

RichardH wrote:Or if you can find one a Nikko Eletro Dot scope, 3-9x40 ag with a whole suite of dot reticules.

Had one of these myself. Probably the perfect compromise and surprisingly good optics too. Just make sure you carry a spare battery with you. ;) :grin: :oops:
Fabricatum diem, pvnc!
Sam Vimes
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision