divine

Odd sized scope rings, or dodgy scope tube?

Don't buy cheap glass!

Odd sized scope rings, or dodgy scope tube?

Postby varminter » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:24 pm

Interested in some of the info on other recent threads about scope alignment etc, some ideas I hadn't previously come across - they might prove useful, after I've resolved a curious and unprecedented problem I've encountered. Fitting a new scope to my Winchester for the first time in years, using some s/h rings (Hilver, steel, correct type) I just bought, the front ring-halves tighten up OK but the rear ones are loose! Fully tightened, there's a couple of mill play at least - but not enough to suggest they're 30mm instead of one inch. I was assured the rings came off the same rifle; the scope is a cheap stopgap Simmons - but I've never heard of even a cheap scope having a main tube that was narrower at the rear end... I can shim the loose ring, but it's bl00dy weird and i've never had anything like this before.
Any theories?
Regards, Malcolm
varminter
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Odd sized scope rings, or dodgy scope tube?

Postby c18rch » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:42 am

Get the caliper on it and make sure it is the scope. If so then shims will work.

Try swapping the top halfs of the rings around. I have found if they get mixed up sometimes they do not allign properly.
c18rch
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision