divine

leupold mark4

Don't buy cheap glass!

leupold mark4

Postby john.r » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:42 am

im looking at getting some new glass to go on my new gun iv been looking at the leupold mark 4 3.5-10x50 can eeany one tell me if they are worth the money or should i go for something else
thanks john
a/a s410c custom
ags swat 4-16x56
hw mod
john.r
Musketeer
Musketeer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: leupold mark4

Postby thibben » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:42 am

John,

Depends what you want the scope for - i.e. what's the rifle and whats it intended use?

Personally I feel Leupold has been trading on a name for a long time, more Chinese parts etc. There are better scopes out there and Mk4's are up around the £900 I beleive, a Nigtforce for half as much again is by far a better scope (except for the ocular housing rotating with zoom :? ), IOR (bit of a crap shoot on quality) Burris, etc. all make good optics.

Work out what you want the scope to do and work back from there. One thing I've learnt is good glass makes life a whole lot more plesant, good adjustments makes life easy.

Terry
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
thibben
Hunter
Hunter

Postby scope1 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Chinese parts in leupold scopes !! what planet are you on? :zzzz:

knowledge is knowing a scope from a scope,
wisdom is a leupold!

nigel
scope1
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby Sam Vimes » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:37 pm

scope1 wrote:Chinese parts in leupold scopes !! what planet are you on? :zzzz:

Erm, this one! Some of the Leupold scopes now have Chinese sourced parts, fact, particularly the cheaper ranges. Leupold rangefinders are made in China too. I don't think that the MK4 has any Chinese connection though, unless you get a fake one! ;) :lol:
Fabricatum diem, pvnc!
Sam Vimes
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby scope1 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:49 pm

I think the only parts the chinese make is the box they come in, fact!!

nigel :thup:
scope1
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby Sam Vimes » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:54 pm

scope1 wrote:I think the only parts the chinese make is the box they come in, fact!!

Can I ask why you are quite so convinced of this?
Fabricatum diem, pvnc!
Sam Vimes
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby thibben » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:39 pm

Gents,

It has been widly advertised on other American forums and confirmed by Leupold, if you dig around you will find plenty, heres a quick one:

http://www.worldtrademag.com/CDA/Articl ... 32a8c0____

Look on some of the other US based web sites for the growing dissatisfaction in the high end Leupolds. There is nothing wrong with them, it's just for the money you can do better and if you do an apples for apples comparison they do not really stack up any longer. My first serious scope was a Leupold 3-9x 40 VX-3 back in 1977 on top of a .270 BDL, great scope (but learnt that a .270 was not so good). I've owned several since but they no longer stack up against Burris, NF and others at the same level.

This is always going to be a personal thing, if you're happy with your scope and it works for you then that's all that matters. If someone asks' (as at the beginnig of this thread) you have to leave feelings/egos at the door and be honest :thup: - if you have hands on experiance with the different scopes.

Terry
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
thibben
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Born Again » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:14 pm

The good points of Leupolds are;

a) There are loads about, so you can pick up a good used one cheap - can be a used bargain for the top end models.

b) Good warranty.

I've read good things about the Bushnell 6500, has anyone here used one yet ?
Born Again
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Re: Leupold mark4

Postby jeff » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:21 am

I tend to agree Leupold are trading on a brand somewhat these days. Still good scopes but now seem very overpriced, especially outside the US. I haven't looked through a Mk. 4, but here one would cost close to what I paid for my Nightforce - which means it would have to be very, very good, and significantly better than my VX3 LR is.

The "Made in China" bit is interesting though - I think one of the reasons for their success is because the yanks love home made stuff, and that is getting increasingly difficult to buy.
Jeff

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
jeff
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby hungryrob » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:45 am

scope1 wrote:I think the only parts the chinese make is the box they come in, fact!!

I don't think so..

I had two RX4 B rangefinding binos, both made in China, both with electrical problems. I know they were made there because it said so on the unit and when they went back to the US for repair, they had none in stock and I had to wait two months for a shitty replacement.

Never again will I buy Leupold :thdn:
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby jeff » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:13 am

hungryrob wrote:I had two RX4 B rangefinding binos, both made in China, both with electrical problems. I know they were made there because it said so on the unit and when they went back to the US for repair, they had none in stock and I had to wait two months for a shitty replacement.

Never again will I buy Leupold :thdn:

Told you not to sell the originals, didn't I? :grin:
Jeff

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
jeff
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby varminter » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:08 am

Born Again wrote:The good points of Leupolds are;
a) There are loads about, so you can pick up a good used one cheap - can be a used bargain for the top end models.

Agreed, though these days extra caution seems advisable: there appear to be copies around, don't know how good an imitation they are though. Lately there's been a little rash of Leupold Mk4 3-10x50s on Ebay, listed/selling at suspiciously low prices....
I still like Leupold though I wouldn't buy the brand automatically as I did previously: I like Nikon, and kick myself for not snapping up one I found in the Cabela's "Bargain Cave" at their Dundee MI shop 3 weeks ago, a Monarch 5-20x44 as new for the equivalent of £250, grrrr!
Regards, Malcolm
varminter
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision