divine

Nikon/WTC

Don't buy cheap glass!

Nikon/WTC

Postby chelly » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:06 am

I have a nikon 4.5-14x40 sf on my 17hmr the optics are very clear and sharp but the FOV is small. I have a WTC 3.5-10x50 on the 22lr and was thinking of getting another pair to put on the 17. Is this wise or not?.
chelly
Musketeer
Musketeer

Re: Nikon/WTC

Postby jeff » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:07 am

I would personally want more than 10x mag on a HMR, as it's a 150m gun used on smallish targets.....

I have a Nikon 6-18x44 on mine, and don't have issues with a small FOV.
Jeff

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
jeff
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby hungryrob » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:08 pm

I'd stick with the higher mag scope as well...

Why not invest in a decent set of binos instead?

I shoot rabbits at up to 400 yards and find a pair of binos makes a huge difference to my ability to pick them out at over 100 where the naked eye (mine anyway) starts to play tricks on me. I use rangefinding binos for the job.. scan, find bunny, spot close rock or something then get down behind rifle and get it in the scope.. I use a 12 - 42 X Nightforce. Field of view is not a problem if you have identified the target and target area with binos before turning to the scope for the job.

I love Nikon scopes though for what it's worth but at the price, you'd find a very good set of binos second hand on the airgun bbs sales section I'd guess ;)
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby scarecrow » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:14 am

6.5-20x50 if you can find one.
I was lucky enough to get two new WTC's from the states a few years ago ready for a HMR if I got one, I wasn't sure I would.
Glad I got the scopes & glad I got the HMR.
I also had, at the same time two 6-24x50 Simmons PrairieMaster scopes from the same guy & used one on my .22, as clear as the WTC out to whatever range my .22 would reach, I used it to spot out to over 300yds.
The PM's have mildots.
Sold them, one was still new never out the box. Fool I was, got a Viper for side focus.
If you find either a 6.5-20x50 WTC or 6-24x50 PrairieMaster snap it up.
If it goes bang or has a nipple I want to fondle it.
scarecrow
Rifleman
Rifleman

Return to Scopes, optics and night vision