divine

Drat! Or words to that effect.

Ammunition reloading for centerfire or shotgun
Forum rules
Shooters using reloading info and load data in this forum do so at their own risk. Check all loads with printed, commercially available reloading manuals and NEVER exceed maximum powder weights. The board/forum accepts NO liability for accidents! Be careful!

Re: Drat! Or words to that effect.

Postby Beer Hunter » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:52 am

Jes Simon! I would have been sitting on the floor sobbing.
Even Lapua cases can vary by +/- 5 grain and the bullets will be +/- 1 grain. As such, there is little choice but to pull them all :(

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby gun nut » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:42 pm

I always colour the bases with permanent markers as I reload with different charges as I have been there before! :lol: :Facepalm:
With regards to the stuck case can you not screw the die back into the press and then snap the correct case holder into the press and stuck case at the same time. The case should pull out in the normal way then?
A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range. - Paul Kirchner
A few acorns up the arse'd do 'em the world of good. It might even make them walk upright for a change. - Linegeist
gun nut
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby leadpig » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:01 pm

back on subject if you are not short on components, i think your idea of just shooting them and having some fun makes sense :grin:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Grasslander » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:57 pm

Have you done anything with your mixed up test loads yet?
Just wondering what you decided on....

JMO, if you didn't have so darn many, I would say just shoot them and have fun.
But with the way components are these days, pulling them would be what I would do...
Grasslander

Postby Fenrir » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:04 pm

I have been pondering on the best thing to do with the mixed up cases and think I have decided to convert them from once fired to twice fired as quickly as I can. [emoji2]
For the avoidance of doubt, there is no such thing as "American English". There is the English language and there are mistakes.
Fenrir
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Keef » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:45 pm

One optin for you Simon is to buy a cam bullet puller.

These fit in the reloading press and you raise the complete round on the shell holder into the puller and pull a lever down. This lever closes a collet around the bullet to grip it and you then lower the arm of the reloading press pulling the case away from the bullet.

If you adjust the collet properly there's no damage to the bullet and it can be used again. Remove the decapping pin from a neck sizing die and run the case through to resize the neck and the case the case is ready to use again.

I have one of these:

http://www.hornady.com/store/Cam-Lock-Bullet-Puller-1-Each/
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Shootist » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:18 pm

+1 :thup:

Forget the kinetic hammer pullers. They're crap. No more, no less.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Fenrir » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:52 pm

A gentleman from the club was kind enough to remove the stuck case from the die for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5
For the avoidance of doubt, there is no such thing as "American English". There is the English language and there are mistakes.
Fenrir
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Beer Hunter » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:53 pm

Shootist wrote:+1 :thup:

Forget the kinetic hammer pullers. They're crap. No more, no less.

Couldn't disagree more. Mine is quick and works every time.... as long as you use a properly hard surface to tap it against.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby Keef » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:25 am

Beer Hunter wrote:Couldn't disagree more. Mine is quick and works every time.... as long as you use a properly hard surface to tap it against.
Kev.

It might work well but it must be inconvenient dragging SBS up there every time you want to use it though. :)
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Fenrir » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:49 pm

I am with Kevin on this, I have one of the kinetic pullers and it has always worked as it should. I would imagine that for pulling a large batch it could be improved upon but up until now it has only been needed for the occasional mishap.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Fenrir
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Keef » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:26 pm

I do have a kinetic puller, it's used on my 357 cases when required.

I found the original collet that's fitted to unreliable. A better solution is to put a reloading case holder in it, it holds the cases far more securely.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:32 pm

Fenrir wrote:I am with Kevin on this, I have one of the kinetic pullers and it has always worked as it should. I would imagine that for pulling a large batch it could be improved upon but up until now it has only been needed for the occasional mishap.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I've used kinetic pullers for years and they work like a top. A couple of sharp raps on a hard surface with the kinetic puller and the bullet pops out. That worked fine for taking apart a few rounds of ammo until I bought two 2000 rounds of 8mm Mauser military ball the was made for machine guns. The powder charges varied plus or minus 5 grains. The kinetic puller was slow and tedious so I bought an RCBS bullet puller and multiple collets for standard calibers. That tool is so much easier and lots cleaner. I still use the kinetic puller on the occasional rounds when I'm too lazy to set up the RCBS tool but if I have any significant number of rounds I use the collet puller. It works great when you inherit reloads of unknown vintage or origin from fellow shooters and you want to dispose of the charges and use the components.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Previous

Return to Reloading