divine

.243 Handloads & Magnum Primers

Ammunition reloading for centerfire or shotgun
Forum rules
Shooters using reloading info and load data in this forum do so at their own risk. Check all loads with printed, commercially available reloading manuals and NEVER exceed maximum powder weights. The board/forum accepts NO liability for accidents! Be careful!

Re: .243 Handloads & Magnum Primers

Postby firtrees » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:34 pm

flintlok wrote:
firtrees wrote: Very interesting. Thank you. I could follow the logic to some degree but not the graphs or engineering. What is "OCW"?

OCW = Optimal Charge Weight

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

This is all really interesting stuff. Thank you. If I am understanding it properly, ocw comes down to internal ballistic velocity to ensure that bullet exit occurs as close as possible to the moment the stress pulse pauses at the bolt face before proceeding to the muzzle again. Once this has been obtained further tweaking is done by way of bullet seating depth and primer changes. I had always thought the general idea was to stop the bullet at about 1/10,000 from the rifling (if possible) - period. Now it appears the seating depth issue is more complicated but the overall equation is simpler. Thank you once again.
firtrees
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:33 pm

The trick is make sure that the bullet leaves the barrel at a nodal point where the crown will be the tightest. The other thing that garner is that the secondary over pressure wave will blow the barrel and when we make a powder and primer selection it's to optimize the time that the bullet leaves the bore before the secondary wave and it's potential over pressure can occur. Think about it, the powder is mostly nitrocellulose, it's burn rate and pressure curves are only controlled by the physical shape of the power particles flake, ball, or stick. The wrong choice of powder or the wrong amount can land you in hot water.

Additionally, I've experience such traveling wave with my M1 Garand and my Romanian AK 47. The AK trigger literally stings. The trigger vibrates such a high frequency when the shooting that the trigger sting hurts. It transfer some of that wave energy through the trigger to my finger tip. It's a well documented phenomenon with AK's. My bother Yugo AK also had a trigger sting. He sold it as it hurt him to shoot it. With the M1 the rear sight assemble will vibrate loose. Julian Hatcher found that it was such a problem that he redesigned the rear sight of the M1. My MI has the redesigned sight and the vibration will still loosen the sight screws.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby firtrees » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:39 pm

In one of the links you posted the author admonished people not to simply swap primers from mag to large and expect a positive result. I was lucky enough to get a positive result that way. I tested loads of Fed. #210 and CCI 200 large rifle primers with 41.7 gr. of IMR4064, 58 gr. Hornady VMAX and Fed. brass and got a .86" group with five rounds using the Fed. primers. Next stage according to my notes is to jiggle the bullet seating depth and perhaps try another primer brand. Thanks.
firtrees
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby firtrees » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:43 am

flintlok wrote:
firtrees wrote: Very interesting. Thank you. I could follow the logic to some degree but not the graphs or engineering. What is "OCW"?

I settled on 58 gr VMAX bullet, 41.7 gr IMR 4064 and Federal 210 large primer (for now). Went coyote hunting day before yesterday and hit a nice male on the run at about 100 yds. The shot could have been better but it killed him right there. I was surprised at the damage done by such a small bullet. It blew a large longitudinal hole out the off side.
firtrees
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby hungryrob » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:57 pm

firtrees wrote:
flintlok wrote:

I settled on 58 gr VMAX bullet, 41.7 gr IMR 4064 and Federal 210 large primer (for now). Went coyote hunting day before yesterday and hit a nice male on the run at about 100 yds. The shot could have been better but it killed him right there. I was surprised at the damage done by such a small bullet. It blew a large longitudinal hole out the off side.

The 58 grain VMax is an awesome bullet! I love it for foxes; very humane!! :)
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby Deallad » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:11 pm

I do not own a 243.

though I do reload 22-250rem the magnum primers may cause higher pressure as the powder will be ignited with a larger more fierce burn rate.

Magnum primers are better suited to cartridges used on large game rifles where a positive ignition is needed on slow burning powders.

Standard large rifle primers will be more than adequate for the purpose of 243

I use Winchester primers made of brass which are softer and work superbly.

Mike
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter
Hunter