divine

Why I Don't Like Pot Metal Reloading Kit

Ammunition reloading for centerfire or shotgun
Forum rules
Shooters using reloading info and load data in this forum do so at their own risk. Check all loads with printed, commercially available reloading manuals and NEVER exceed maximum powder weights. The board/forum accepts NO liability for accidents! Be careful!

Why I Don't Like Pot Metal Reloading Kit

Postby flintlok » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:28 pm

My Lee post metal priming tool broke at the retaining ring for the shell holder. The broken top part of the retainer is the horse shoe looking item it the right side of the photo. You can see a clean fracture all about the top rim of the tool. The tool owes me nothing as I've used it for years however if it were made if steel I still have it for years to come. I like using the Lee tool for smaller case lots so I'll probably replace it however I would gladly pay extra for a the same tool made of steel. I have other priming tools so I can live without it however it is convenient when I want to assemble a couple hundred or so cartridges.

The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Why I Don't Like Pot Metal Reloading Kit

Postby Coldfinger » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:15 pm

Well, at least it wasn't the thumb operated lever, thas the usual failure point.
"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:45 pm

The thumb lever cam bearing surface where it meets the ram failed years ago. It was another pot metal part. I repaired it by filing flat the suface and drilling and tapping it for a screw. I installed a flat head screw in it and filed the screw to the original contour. The part has worked like a top ever since the repair. It's a nice tool but the material of construction are terrible. I don't know why they don't improve the materials.

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Bushdog » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:14 am

Yes I am on my third one (in reloading since early '80's) - one lever broken, two lever cams worn out (I pirated one from the other) and one that broke around the rim exactly like Flintloks (except mine did not completely separate). I tend to save the broken ones for spares now.

Hard to beat them, though - they are so simple to use and seem to produce a good repeatable result.
Bushdog
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:34 pm

Yeah, I have spare parts to. Sinclair sells a real nice hand held priming tool of stainless steel construction with steel hardened pins and a aircraft aluminum lever. It's very nice tool however it's single feed one primer at a time. I intend to buy one however with the single feed it's only suitable for small lot reloading. I have the RCBS strip primer feeding tool and well as a Dillon press but they are not worth the trouble to set up for small lots.

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Reloading