divine

Now here's an interesting bullet

Ammunition reloading for centerfire or shotgun
Forum rules
Shooters using reloading info and load data in this forum do so at their own risk. Check all loads with printed, commercially available reloading manuals and NEVER exceed maximum powder weights. The board/forum accepts NO liability for accidents! Be careful!

Now here's an interesting bullet

Postby Shootist » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:47 pm

http://www.hornady.com/store/30-Cal-.308-100-gr-Short-Jacket/

30 Cal .308 100 gr Short Jacket

This bullet is packaged as a varmint round and extols it's 'explosive expansion'.

Questions. (I know the answers, just want some views)

1. Is this a S.5 round?

2. Can it be used to shoot deer, assuming MV requirements are met?
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Now here's an interesting bullet

Postby Viperteks » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:58 pm

IMHO

Yes and Yes

That last line in the description - explosive expansion - thus it's designed to expand so I would definitely say section 5.

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:23 pm

2. Can it be used to shoot deer, assuming MV requirements are met?

I can`t see why not as long as long as the MV/ME requirements are met for the larger species.
does it give a MV for the round @ 100 grns :?

EDIT---- just been on hornadys` website and no it doesn`t give MV or ME,and it must have been out quite a while as it`s not listed as a new product :!:
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:40 pm

the bc is dreadful :shock:
the 110g v-max nearly doubles it :Facepalm:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Shootist » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:42 am

OK, firstly, it's not a S.5 bullet. It is not designed or adapted to expand on impact, it just that it happens that it does, because it's made of lead and has a copper lining at the rear half to help cope with the rifling. Don't forget that the Yanks don't have this S.5 nonsense. The same goes for A-Max which is not S.5 and V-Max which is. Both have the plastic 'ballistic tip' made from the same material. BUT, the marketing policy is that the 'A' is for Accuracy, the 'V' is for Varmint. V-Max were designed to expand on impact. A-Max was designed for accuracy by moving the centre of gravity slightly to the rear. By happy coincidence the bullets are almost identical. In the USA A-Max are a popular round for deer.

So, the bullet in the OP (And A-Max if you like), if it's not a S.5 round, can it be used to shoot deer in England and Wales? :)
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Viperteks » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:18 am

Totally agree on A-Max and V-Max, they are well documented.

Not sure if i agree on this one though, if it states that it has 'explosive expansion' even at low velocities, then I and i guess most Police forces would definitely say it's S5. THEIR argument being it says so so it must have been designed so...... :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Have you asked the cops their opinion on it (even if they don't know what they are talking about most of the time).

The problem is there is no defacto test or specification for expanding bullets in the UK - we sort of rely on the manufacturers to tell us what the the bullet does, and as we in the UK are about the only place on the planet who segregates bullet heads it is a PITA.

Regardless of what yo and I think the bullet is - your average Cop would look at that factory description and 'insist' it is S5 on that alone - burden of proof being on you to prove otherwise. I will also state that in this instance and based on that wording I wouldn't take that risk. So unless I had S5 on my ticket - I wouldn't touch it, luckily I do have S5 - but still wouldn't touch it for other reasons.

You are about the most legally clued up guy on here Steve :thup: , what would you say to the cops to say it ISN'T S5 - against the Factory description.

The Factory wording on A/V-Max, allows us in my opinion to use them more easily, as it does with many other Hollowpoint 'Target' rounds ;) ;) ;) ;)

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Deallad » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:30 am

Having shot Charlie with both A-max and V-max I can assure you Charlie did not know the difference and you can buy A-max online.

When a fox gets hit by either bullet there is expansion with an average range of 150 yards from my 22-250rem.

working out at a strike of over 2,700fps there is no chance of surviving with a reasonable shot.

How about a Barnes Varmint Grenade?

Mike
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Shootist » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:33 am

It is the design or adaptation that is the issue, not the fact that it happens to expand, or the marketing style. If this were not the case then every plain lead bullet would be S.5, which would somewhat bugger up all the lever action gallery rifle lads. When I owned a 45/70 it used nothing but ordinary lead bullets. There is no doubt that they would expand greatly if they hit the right parts. but they were not S.5. Likewise at the other end of the scale, the ordinary .22 rimfire round made of soft lead and will certainly expand if it hits the right part. But neither is designed to expand. Like A-Max, they will expand and are regularly used, and advertised for the purpose in the USA I believe, for hunting live quarry.

Of course, I don't doubt that some police officers, and some Firearms Licensing Officers too, somewhere would be daft enough to give it a run in the OP bullet, but then I am aware of at least one FLO who thinks that shooting solid ball from a S.2 muzzle loader is illegal :Facepalm: . But, I am confident enough that it is not S.5 that I would happily show it to any police officer who was polite enough to gain entry into Chez Shootist and point out that I had no authority to possess S.5 in that calibre. It could be quite fun.

I discovered the bullet in the OP when I was sold a box for light .308 loads (15 grains of Unique) by one of the most anally retentive firearms dealers I have ever met. There is simply no way this dealer, who has more than 20 years in the business, would have ever sold these bullets to me if they were S.5. This, of course, proves nothing, but he remarked himself on the issue, and so had clearly studied the matter.

So, can you use the OP round (assuming it's not S.5) or A-Max to shoot deer in England and Wales, if all other conditions are met? (I'm not asking about whether they are the most suitable round, just whether it's legal.) :)
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Shootist » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:50 am

Deallad wrote:Having shot Charlie with both A-max and V-max I can assure you Charlie did not know the difference and you can buy A-max online.

When a fox gets hit by either bullet there is expansion with an average range of 150 yards from my 22-250rem.

working out at a strike of over 2,700fps there is no chance of surviving with a reasonable shot.

How about a Barnes Varmint Grenade?

Mike

While I agree with you in the practical result, I'm afraid that this is another of my exercises in law, primarily for my own benefit in buttoning down interesting (to me) aspects of shooting law, and hopefully to raise awareness among shooters. In other forums I have had people suggest that shooting fox with A-Max would be illegal as they are not S.5, a statement I would consider to be wrong.

A Barnes Varmint Grenade is, to the best of my knowledge, entirely S.5.
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Keef » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:28 am

Whilst I have not hunted deer, from memory the law on ammunition for deer states that it must expand. It doesn't say it must be S5 and designed to expand, just that it will expand.

From memory again I believe the argument (yours) is that a solid lead bullet will expand so is legal for use on deer even though it would not be S5. On this basis the OP bullet would be deer legal as it will expand, though not S5.

This was brought up over on the "other" board and if memory serves (again!) it generated a lot of comment. (Maybe from Ackley? :) :) )
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Shootist » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:33 am

Deer Act 1991

Prohibited firearms and ammunition

Any bullet for use in a rifle other than a soft-nosed or hollow-nosed bullet.
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Reloading