divine

Lee cast bullet resizing from .312 down to .308/9

Ammunition reloading for centerfire or shotgun
Forum rules
Shooters using reloading info and load data in this forum do so at their own risk. Check all loads with printed, commercially available reloading manuals and NEVER exceed maximum powder weights. The board/forum accepts NO liability for accidents! Be careful!

Lee cast bullet resizing from .312 down to .308/9

Postby mark_at81 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:54 pm

I have a couple of lee moulds knocking about for .312 in 155 grn and 185 grn. They are meant for 7.62x39 and .303 british.
What I'm wondering is will a lee resizing die bring them down to .308? or will it take too much off the casting.
I'm thinking about .308 for erm .308 lol and .309 for 30-06 with gas checks for some low velocity stuff.

Cheers Mark
mark_at81
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Re: Lee cast bullet resizing from .312 down to .308/9

Postby flintlok » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:28 pm

You could do such a reduction is size however the lead will smear into the grease groove and tend to close them. Cast bullets tend to over a bit sized as they drop out of the mold as the manufacturers expect you to swage them. I did a similar reduction with 0.458 diameter bullets. The grease grooves were narrow to begin with and lots shallower when I finished. The result weren't the best. They were hard cast bullets and generally I don't get good results with hard cast unless I drive them faster than I did with the 458's. If you have deep and wide grease grooves you should be able to get by.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby robg » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:53 am

size a few then tumble lube and try them ,grease groves wont matter much if tumble lubed with lee lube 18g of 2400 work well in 308 with gas checked bullet
robg
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby English » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:10 pm

Not for thiese calibres but I have had very sucessful results re-sizing with a Lee sizing die and then re-lubing with Liquid Allox rolling the bullets rounf in it in an old ice cream tub to provide a thin and even all over coat :thup:
If it has a trigger I'm gonna enjoy it!

Look - an eagle!

http://www.ukgunworks.co.uk/
English
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Reloading