divine

.22 hornet cast bullet load development

Ammunition reloading for centerfire or shotgun
Forum rules
Shooters using reloading info and load data in this forum do so at their own risk. Check all loads with printed, commercially available reloading manuals and NEVER exceed maximum powder weights. The board/forum accepts NO liability for accidents! Be careful!

.22 hornet cast bullet load development

Postby Ray7756 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:26 pm

44grn cast bullets (lyman mould)with gas checks Lyman load data H110 powder min load 7.2 grn
checked loa by putting bullet into empty case and chambering it till bolt closed then removed and measured then set seating die to 40 thou inch shorter, loaded 5 rounds with 7.2 grn out to the range ( in my garden) 1 1/2 inch group, back to gunroom and load another 5 rounds this time with 7.4 grn got 3/4 inch group,,, promising so back in and load another 5 with 7.6 grn damn they were all over the place so back to the 7.4 grn but change seating depth to - 30 thou Result Keyholed them, got to play around some more so might try seating at - 20 thou but will try them in the field at 100 yds first
BTW gun is a CZ 527 American with a 1 in 16 twist
i also have a 55 grn mould so will try that next
Cheers
Ray
Ray7756
Hunter
Hunter

Re: .22 hornet cast bullet load development

Postby hungryrob » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:46 pm

Good planning Ray ;)

Happy days!
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby Shootist » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:46 am

Interesting research. I would be concerned about leading in the barrel if MV too high. Have you chronographed the rounds? I would take a guess that, on the basis of my results with .357 loads you may be getting near where leading will start.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Ray7756 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:32 am

Shootist wrote:Interesting research. I would be concerned about leading in the barrel if MV too high. Have you chronographed the rounds? I would take a guess that, on the basis of my results with .357 loads you may be getting near where leading will start.

Thats the reason i use gas checks, barrel leading occurs when the powder melts the base of the bullet hence gas checks to shield the base of the bullet, plus i will run a few jacketed rounds through to remove any leading, or will just give it a good old fashioned clean, but it is a good point and one i will be keeping an eye on
Must get a chrono,,,,,,,or borrow Robbies
:thup: :thup: :thup:
Cheers
Ray
Ray7756
Hunter
Hunter

Postby hungryrob » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:45 am

Ray7756 wrote:
Shootist wrote:Interesting research. I would be concerned about leading in the barrel if MV too high. Have you chronographed the rounds? I would take a guess that, on the basis of my results with .357 loads you may be getting near where leading will start.

Thats the reason i use gas checks, barrel leading occurs when the powder melts the base of the bullet hence gas checks to shield the base of the bullet, plus i will run a few jacketed rounds through to remove any leading, or will just give it a good old fashioned clean, but it is a good point and one i will be keeping an eye on
Must get a chrono,,,,,,,or borrow Robbies
:thup: :thup: :thup:
Cheers
Ray

Jake (weebeastie) still has it I think Ray.. I'll ask him :)
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby plugg » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:19 pm

That bloke in Auchterarder not got it still?
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby weebeestie » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:42 am

Nope.
I'v still got it.
weebeestie
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Ray7756 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:07 am

Was out with Robbie n Plug tonight tried out the hornet at 80 yds 5 rounds each all spot on, so this load is a keeper, next step is the 55grn rounds :grin: :grin: :grin:
Ray7756
Hunter
Hunter

Return to Reloading