Switch to full style
Ammunition reloading for centerfire or shotgun

Forum rules

Shooters using reloading info and load data in this forum do so at their own risk. Check all loads with printed, commercially available reloading manuals and NEVER exceed maximum powder weights. The board/forum accepts NO liability for accidents! Be careful!
Write comments

Case lubrication

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:14 pm

What case lubes do people use and how do you apply it?

I've only reloaded straight wall .45 colt cases for so long now that I have forgotten most I did with rifle cases when I briefly re-loaded them and I may be buying a new rifle... for the right price ...

Re: Case lubrication

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:58 pm

I use Lyman quick slick.

just put cases in a tub and spray, gently shake apply a little more then job done.

Works with my 223 and 300 win mag

Mike

Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:13 pm

I tend to use the standard lube and and the lube pads for rifle cases. I've used spray lubes and i have had mixed results with an occasional stuck case in the sizing die when I fail to apply enough spray lube. If you do use spray lube be overly generous with and that seems to preclude stuck cases.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:52 am

I have used Lyman and I am presently using Lee. I prefer the Lee as I can feel less resistance when withdrawing the case in the die.

Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:17 pm

I've used a RCBS lube pad and I've tried the Lee lube but I prefer Imperial Sizing Die Wax, simply applied with my fingers.

Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:33 am

Imperial Sizing Wax on my cases.

A light coat applied with a finger and some inside the neck using a cotton bud tip.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:26 pm

Lyman Quick Slick hand spray.

Gets in the inside all over the outside of cases very easily, and avoids the time consuming process of hand lubing each case.

Then they're chucked in the ultrasonic cleaner (If I've got lube inside the cases) and bobs your uncle.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:39 pm

Imperial sizing wax for me. As Keef already stated, use your thumb and forefinger on the external case then a small amount on a cotton bud for the inside of the neck.
I bought 2 cans of this stuff a couple of years ago and despite numerous reloads, I've barely put a dent in a single tin. I think what I've got left will probably see me out :thumbs:

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:25 pm

For years I used Lee case lube but then tried Hornady Sizing Wax, which I suspect is much the same as Imperial Sizing Wax. Never going back to Lee. The difference is amazing. The first case I sized with it felt almost like there was no case in the press. Easy, no mess, and the tin I have looks like it will last a lifetime. I have also tried one of the aerosol spray on case lubes, I can't remember whether it was Remington or Lyman. Having sprayed them I was distracted and left them for a few days. When I went back to it, it had rotted the cases surface and I ended up scraping the brass. Sizing wax is definitely the way to go IMO.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:57 pm

Redding Imperial Sizing Wax.

You pick up the cases so lube them at the same time

It works on 223 30-30 45/70 and 300 win mag no issues

lasts ages and can be bought on ebay for very little

Try here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Redding-Imper ... SwLnBX9KXK

Mike

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:55 pm

DONT put to much on, I was over generous a couple of months ago and got collapsed shoulders on some 22-250 , did not know what was doing it till I tried with no lube and the cases were fine, so now make sure I am sparing with the lube, and just to check I ran another through with lots of lube and your right collapsed shoulder
Cheers
Ray
Write comments