divine

Advice/opinions sought re specific .308 dies

Ammunition reloading for centerfire or shotgun
Forum rules
Shooters using reloading info and load data in this forum do so at their own risk. Check all loads with printed, commercially available reloading manuals and NEVER exceed maximum powder weights. The board/forum accepts NO liability for accidents! Be careful!

Advice/opinions sought re specific .308 dies

Postby Cam » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:59 pm

I would be very grateful if you enlightened lot will help me.

IMO, full length resizing is the way to go, albeit case life is compromised.

I think that I want to replace my .308 RCBS 3 die set for a quality two die set. I want a full length resizing die, together with a bullet micrometer seating die.

I have been drawn to the Redding S line Full-length Resizing Bushing die, and also to the Forster Ultra Micrometer Seating die.

What do you reckon? Have any of any further advice/opinions etc?

Many thanks in advance.

Cam
Cam
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Advice/opinions sought re specific .308 dies

Postby Deallad » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:33 pm

Hi Cam

I have a set of RCBS competition dies, before I bought them I used standard RCBS dies. I have not noticed them do anything more than the cheaper ones.

They have a fancy bit on top to adjust seating, but don't think the additional cost to be worth it

Mike
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Cam » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:07 pm

Deallad wrote:Hi Cam

I have a set of RCBS competition dies, before I bought them I used standard RCBS dies. I have not noticed them do anything more than the cheaper ones.

They have a fancy bit on top to adjust seating, but don't think the additional cost to be worth it

Mike

HI Mike

Many thanks.

The Redding F/L bushing die allows for a more consistent neck tension and lads in know at the club favour this offering.

With the seating die, there seems to no firm favourite between the Redding and the Forster.

Thanks again.

Cam
Cam
Hunter
Hunter

Postby luv2jeep » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:30 pm

IMHO if you are shooting the brass in the same rifle then you only need to resize the neck. Your brass will last much longer.

If however you plan to shoot your reloads in different rifles then there may be slight differences in the chamber and you will need to do a full length resizing.
luv2jeep

Postby flintlok » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:26 pm

Needless to say, I shoot my brass in multiple rifles. I use small base dies as some of the rifles have match chambers. I very rarely see short case life to cracking or split cases. The primer pockets wear out and expand after multiple firings long before the case bodies go. I wouldn't worry about case life due to metal work hardening and cracking. I can see performing heat treating case necks to stress relieve the case neck so that the hold bullets with identical tension and any case life extension due to heat treatment is merely a bonus. If you shoot one rifle then neck sizing is probably the way to go but that has never been an option for me.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Hornet 6 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:56 am

Cam wrote:I have been drawn to the Redding S line Full-length Resizing Bushing die, and also to the Forster Ultra Micrometer Seating die.

Cam

Full length S line dies are where my money would go, worked very well on my .223 and .243
Micrometer dies, I have tried the forster offering and wasn't a great fan, I quite like the redding one both the ready to go
straight out the box, and the add on micrometer for their standard dies.
That said I'm not sure I really think they make a difference for me, once set any seating die will be as accurate as the next
and how often do we really need to mess with length once we stumble on a good working reload. Personally I think good
solid dies lock ring that once set stay set are more important, Lyman is my favourite, but redding work as well, just not
as well finished.

Neil. :)
Hornet 6
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Cam » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:56 pm

Hornet 6 wrote:
Cam wrote:I have been drawn to the Redding S line Full-length Resizing Bushing die, and also to the Forster Ultra Micrometer Seating die.

Cam

Full length S line dies are where my money would go, worked very well on my .223 and .243
Micrometer dies, I have tried the forster offering and wasn't a great fan, I quite like the redding one both the ready to go
straight out the box, and the add on micrometer for their standard dies.
That said I'm not sure I really think they make a difference for me, once set any seating die will be as accurate as the next
and how often do we really need to mess with length once we stumble on a good working reload. Personally I think good
solid dies lock ring that once set stay set are more important, Lyman is my favourite, but redding work as well, just not
as well finished.

Hi Neil :)

Many thanks for this!

I went for the Redding S-Line f/l bushing die and Competition bullet seating die.

After following the setup instructions for the seating die, I find that the die will not sit in its box unless the locking ring is unlocked and moved (which means every time I reload, I have to faff about). What am I doing wrong?

Cam
Cam
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Hornet 6 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:42 am

Cam wrote: What am I doing wrong?

Cam

You missed the vital step that they forgot to tell you about.........
Remove the offending piece of plastic that is stopping the die going back in the box once set :grin:

Hornet 6
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Cam » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Hornet 6 wrote:
Cam wrote: What am I doing wrong?

Cam

You missed the vital step that they forgot to tell you about.........
Remove the offending piece of plastic that is stopping the die going back in the box once set :grin:

Oookay! :oops: :grin:

Thanks Neil! :thumbs:

Cam
Cam
Hunter
Hunter

Return to Reloading