divine

Really miffed

Ammunition reloading for centerfire or shotgun
Forum rules
Shooters using reloading info and load data in this forum do so at their own risk. Check all loads with printed, commercially available reloading manuals and NEVER exceed maximum powder weights. The board/forum accepts NO liability for accidents! Be careful!

Really miffed

Postby Jubbles » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:32 pm

Last night I had the time at last to use my new RGB (really Good Buy) Lee Dies on some 8mm S&B cases I had put through my Mauser K98K.

I used an ultrasonic cleaner then a tumbler to get the cases really nice and shiny.

I set up the full length sizer as per the instructions...lubed the outside of the case using Lyman Qwik slick Case Lube sprayed it on and up went the case into the die with a fair bit of resistance but nothing stupendously abnormal. I tried to lower the lever arm..it was incredibly stiff...f**k...really heaved it down and the case came out with the expanding ball/decapping rod all in one grrrrr.

tried pliers and numerous other tools to try and pull it out, no such luck.

A trip to a friends workshop today the 8mm case cut open at the bottom to pull out the steel die part.

Back in the die it went with the help of a hammer.

Today I really really lube up the 2nd case inside and out to give this a go with and up it goes, hmmm this feels like the same level of resistance as yesterday I'll stop before I go all the way up...to later.

Same thing has happened again and now I'm sat here cursing and grumpy. Time to try another lube I guess. :bh:
Jubbles
Rifleman
Rifleman

Re: Really miffed

Postby Ray7756 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:10 pm

If its that tight I would check you have the correct expander in there, I used wrong one on my 308 and the bullets dropperd out of the case when I got to the range,,,, most embarrasing :doh:
Ray
Ray7756
Hunter
Hunter

Postby flintlok » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:04 pm

I've never had the problem with RCBS, Hornady, or Lyman dies however I've had the same issue with Lee dies. The expander button is swaged fitted with the Lee dies. That work great if there's something stuck in the case or you accidentally try resize a Berdan case or if you have the resizer rod body too low where it engages the bottom of the case. The rod just get push back into the Lee die. I've snapped pins and and bent rods with the other dies.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Jubbles » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:24 am

I'm thinking of just welding the rod in place
Jubbles
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Bushdog » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:18 am

It shouldn't need welding.
They didn't ought to be that tight - I assume you are doing up the collet that holds the shaft into the die nice and tight?
I have had the same problem with Lee dies but have sorted it with a good cleaning and really tightening up the collets with a spanner.
I also always put a bit of lube inside case mouth when re-sizing, which I find also helps reduce case stretching during re sizing.
As already mentioned - it sounds like you may have the wrong size expander in there - when you have it out, give it a measure with some calipers.
Bushdog
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby robg » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:13 pm

What bushdog said.
robg
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Jubbles » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:52 am

Right then time to measure up then send it back if need be.
Jubbles
Rifleman
Rifleman

Return to Reloading