divine

Reloading Help

Ammunition reloading for centerfire or shotgun
Forum rules
Shooters using reloading info and load data in this forum do so at their own risk. Check all loads with printed, commercially available reloading manuals and NEVER exceed maximum powder weights. The board/forum accepts NO liability for accidents! Be careful!

Reloading Help

Postby ap9960 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:40 pm

I am interested in getting into reloading especially with my plan to build a long range precision rifle. I was thinking a turret press, but many have said just go with the progressive for your general reloading but buy a single stage for the precision reloads. This would force me into 3 presses as I already have a Dillon square deal b to put into operation for my pistols. Just wanted to get some feedback on what you pro reloaders out there are using or would recommend.
ap9960

Re: Reloading Help

Postby Shootist » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:05 am

The Lee Classic Cast Turret Press will do the job happily. With precision rifle rounds for long range it's a matter of care and repeatability. Neck sizing is what puts most strain on a press if you are using Lee dies but I have never used other brands so they may do it easier. I am confident this press would handle your needs, but then I also have an RCBS Rockchucker that I use for rifle rounds. Treat yourself, have three presses.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Deallad » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:55 pm

Hornaday, RCBS, Redding all make good gear.

I steer away from Lee gear, its cheap for a reason, it does work but its far from the best.

I use a Hornaday Lock and Load single stage, solid build and quality, their electronic powder thrower means every round is checked for consistency.

Mike
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Hornet 6 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:38 am

Deallad wrote:
I steer away from Lee gear, its cheap for a reason, it does work but its far from the best.

Mike

In your opinion I take it ?
Nobody makes a better crimp die, and the same goes for the collet neck dies, case length trimmer is simple and accurate.

Neil.
Hornet 6
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Shootist » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:19 pm

I tend to agree. Sure, some Lee stuff is not that good. But the good stuff is ace. The Classic Cast Turret press, as I have mentioned, although you need to stock up on some of the plastic bits (at least, that's what I've heard. I've still got a pack of half dozen that I don't think I'll ever use.) Their single stage cast press, the big heavy one is better, IMO, than my RCBS Rockchucker (which is still pretty good). The dies are as good as any and better than many others, and more affordable. When buying anything like this you need to look past the brand name to see what is actually in the box.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:01 pm

I prefer Foster Products for case trimming over anyone else although in my opinion the best case trimmer is the RDZ Case Trimmer (http://www.rdzproducts.com/) that I use in conjunction with the Forster Products cutter and outside neck turner on my drill press. I use Lee dies somewhat but I don't case for their die primer punch arrangement. I tend to use RCBS and Lyman dies as well as Hornady and Lee dies to some extent. I love Lee taper crimp dies and I use them for my handgun ammo reloads. I don't care for the presses and priming tools. Their product work great but the rub is in the materials of construction. Lee uses lots of pot metal in their products other than dies and molds and I have their products break. Lee will replace broken parts free of charge so their products will get you by if needed but their presses don't hold a candle to the iron presses and their durability that others make. I use RCBS, Dillon, and Lyman presses. I tend to use the progressive press for handgun and carbine loads and the single station press for rifle. I like to inspect each of my rifle round at every stage of reloading. I have a strong affinity for the Dillon 650 but it's not cheap. I use the Hornady Case activated powder measure in my Dillon. It work great without gumming up like the Dillon powder measure after 500 rounds or so. For priming individual rifle cases it's had to beat the RCBS strip primer however the priming took uses little plastic guides that wear. RCBS will send replacements for free but if they made the out of bronze they guides would last forever. Then there's the case prep and what case cleaning method to use and whose product suits you needs best. I use a large vibratory cleaner with crush walnut shell media that Dillon sells. I was lucky and one point and I got my hands on about 100 pound of free media so that works for me.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Cam » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:07 pm

flintlok wrote:I prefer Foster Products for case trimming over anyone else although in my opinion the best case trimmer is the RDZ Case Trimmer (http://www.rdzproducts.com/) that I use in conjunction with the Forster Products cutter and outside neck turner on my drill press. I use Lee dies somewhat but I don't case for their die primer punch arrangement. I tend to use RCBS and Lyman dies as well as Hornady and Lee dies to some extent. I love Lee taper crimp dies and I use them for my handgun ammo reloads. I don't care for the presses and priming tools. Their product work great but the rub is in the materials of construction. Lee uses lots of pot metal in their products other than dies and molds and I have their products break. Lee will replace broken parts free of charge so their products will get you by if needed but their presses don't hold a candle to the iron presses and their durability that others make. I use RCBS, Dillon, and Lyman presses. I tend to use the progressive press for handgun and carbine loads and the single station press for rifle. I like to inspect each of my rifle round at every stage of reloading. I have a strong affinity for the Dillon 650 but it's not cheap. I use the Hornady Case activated powder measure in my Dillon. It work great without gumming up like the Dillon powder measure after 500 rounds or so. For priming individual rifle cases it's had to beat the RCBS strip primer however the priming took uses little plastic guides that wear. RCBS will send replacements for free but if they made the out of bronze they guides would last forever. Then there's the case prep and what case cleaning method to use and whose product suits you needs best. I use a large vibratory cleaner with crush walnut shell media that Dillon sells. I was lucky and one point and I got my hands on about 100 pound of free media so that works for me.

Hi FL

Many thanks for your post!

Does the above-mentioned company have a 3 way system i.e. trim, de-burr and chamfer?

Cam
Cam
Hunter
Hunter

Postby flintlok » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:35 am

This is the Foster Products outside neck turner that can be used to remove brass creep thickening at the base of case neck and to debur a trimmed case

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/15410 ... eck-turner

This shows the outside neck turned mounted on the hand trimmer. Don’t bother with the hand trimmer as it’s a royal pain. It's much easier to use the Forster drill press trimmer cutter head.

http://www.forsterproducts.com/product- ... ck-turner/

Foster Product power case cutters shown in the link below. You would need the long Forster pilots that are available for the outside neck turner

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/case ... 63528.aspx

Forster Trimmer set up on a drill press in the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFB4uT9ZZZ4

Outside neck turned with cutter head mounted on the cutter shaft on drill press. I don’t use the board as in the video although I did at one time. I used the RDZ Case Trimmer base. Foster makes a similar base however I prefer the RDZ. The RDZ clamp on the bottom of the case by the primer pocket. You can use the same shell holder as you use in you press. The Forster case trimmer clamps onto the rim of the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB0GWPHAuiA

With this arrangement you can set the the case to trim, debur, and neck turn. I do a quick hand chamfer for the inside of the case mouth to make a very slight bevel and I'm done. I also have chamferred using a chamferring tool mounted in the drill press but that has to be done very carefully.

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Cam » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:02 pm

flintlok wrote:This is the Foster Products outside neck turner that can be used to remove brass creep thickening at the base of case neck and to debur a trimmed case

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/15410 ... eck-turner

This shows the outside neck turned mounted on the hand trimmer. Don’t bother with the hand trimmer as it’s a royal pain. It's much easier to use the Forster drill press trimmer cutter head.

http://www.forsterproducts.com/product- ... ck-turner/

Foster Product power case cutters shown in the link below. You would need the long Forster pilots that are available for the outside neck turner

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/case ... 63528.aspx

Forster Trimmer set up on a drill press in the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFB4uT9ZZZ4

Outside neck turned with cutter head mounted on the cutter shaft on drill press. I don’t use the board as in the video although I did at one time. I used the RDZ Case Trimmer base. Foster makes a similar base however I prefer the RDZ. The RDZ clamp on the bottom of the case by the primer pocket. You can use the same shell holder as you use in you press. The Forster case trimmer clamps onto the rim of the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB0GWPHAuiA

With this arrangement you can set the the case to trim, debur, and neck turn. I do a quick hand chamfer for the inside of the case mouth to make a very slight bevel and I'm done. I also have chamferred using a chamferring tool mounted in the drill press but that has to be done very carefully.

Hi FL

Many thanks for taking the time to post this!

Presently, I am using an RCBS Trim Pro 2 with the 3-way cutting head. The 3-way head seems to work very well, but the Trim Pro has run-out despite being well 'lubed during its 400-500 cases career. This is why I like the idea of the trimmer being operated in the vertical rather than the horizontal plane.

I am thinking that maybe I should get the Trim Pro bearing surfaces beefed up rather than a complete change of unit??

Thanks again.

Cam
Cam
Hunter
Hunter

Postby flintlok » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:36 pm

Hi Cam, yeah, if you can get your trimmer to work, that's the one to go with. Anything beats trimming by hand.

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby ap9960 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:07 pm

Thanks to all for the information. I really like the Dillon Square Deal B I have, so perhaps I will stick with Dillon. Looks like more research is called for.
ap9960

Postby robg » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:12 pm

Nothing wrong with Lee kit it's inexpensive and works well .
robg
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Lancs Lad » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:39 am

For .308 reloading, I use an RCBS FL sizing die and a LEE bullet seater.
Primers are removed in a separate operation using a LEE universal decapper. I trim and de-burr the cases using the Lee hand-held kit which is fine for my needs and perfectly adequate. I'm not churning out hundreds of rounds on my Lee Classic press so I can take my time.

Its easy to spend a LOT of money in this reloading game but ask yourself this .....

Is your personal level of shooting so accurate that you can justify the additional expenditure of the more expensive reloading equipment? (and does it REALLY make all that difference?) If it is, then crack on and best of luck to you. I'm not a cheapskate when it comes to spending my cash but in this case I'd rather be using the cash to purchase powder / cases / primers etc.

Just my personal opinion of course! Your cash - your call!
Lancs Lad
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Return to Reloading