divine

Vaguely interesting discovery on C.O.L.

Ammunition reloading for centerfire or shotgun
Forum rules
Shooters using reloading info and load data in this forum do so at their own risk. Check all loads with printed, commercially available reloading manuals and NEVER exceed maximum powder weights. The board/forum accepts NO liability for accidents! Be careful!

Vaguely interesting discovery on C.O.L.

Postby Shootist » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:07 pm

Background:
Having got myself interesting in Deer Stalking, or given my state of health, Deer Ambushing, I have been developing loads for. 308, my calibre of choice. I have a good working load for 150 grain soft point for use on large species deer but I thought it might be a good thing (it matters not, for the purposes of this post, whether it is or not) to develop a load for small species deer using a lighter bullet slightly downloaded. The bullet selected was a Hornady 110 grain soft point and the powder load was 42.2 grains of Viht N140. This is a stubby little bullet and I arbitrarily took a guess on COL based upon the calibre of the bullet. This ended up as a COL of 2.6" as opposed to the SAAMI standard 2.8" and they proved very accurate, shooting a half minute group. The barrel length is 22".

Here's the vaguely interesting bit. Running this through Quickload I was surprised at the difference in calculated results.

COL 2.8" 2595 FPS, 1645 ft/lb.

COL 2.7" 2636 FPS, 1697 ft/lb

COL 2.6" 2679 FPS. 1753 ft/lb.

I was aware that COL could affect results to some degree, this being often quoted as a purely bullet jump issue. Perhaps not.
Last edited by Shootist on Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Vaguely interesting discovery on C.O.L.

Postby flintlok » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:44 pm

For some reason light bullets seem to do well in cartridges and rifles designed for much heavier bullets. My Winchester Model 94 lever gun always shot it's best using 110 grain lead round nose bullets where the rifle was designed to shoot bullets in 150 to 170 grain weight class. I've seen guys shoot lighter bullets in relatively short range competition (300 yards and less) and easily win. I doubt that would have been the case at longer ranges. Still I like shooting lighter bullets as they don't beat you up very much as opposed to shooting something a K98 Mauser with it 198 grain standard ball load.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Blackthorn » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:22 pm

Can I ask how you arrived at such a low charge of Viht N140? It's not a powder I've seen used for light loads and 22.5gr would only half fill a 308 case.
Blackthorn
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Shootist » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:34 pm

Blackthorn wrote:Can I ask how you arrived at such a low charge of Viht N140? It's not a powder I've seen used for light loads and 22.5gr would only half fill a 308 case.

It's a cockup! I meant 42.2 grains. Too many numbers running around in my old head.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Blackthorn » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:04 pm

That sounds better, I'm still curious where the data for N140 came from as I've been working on some 308 110gr loads and Viht themselves don't suggest N140. I ended up using RAM TAC, as that's what I had to hand, along with the data, and it worked well.

I shall have to try a few different COLs, although I'm not sure the bullet would be seated very well with 2.8".
Blackthorn
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Shootist » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:41 pm

Load worked out on Quickload.

With light bullets I try and seat them about a calibre's depth into the case.
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Reloading