divine

Case sizing for straight pull rifle

Ammunition reloading for centerfire or shotgun
Forum rules
Shooters using reloading info and load data in this forum do so at their own risk. Check all loads with printed, commercially available reloading manuals and NEVER exceed maximum powder weights. The board/forum accepts NO liability for accidents! Be careful!

Case sizing for straight pull rifle

Postby Jubbles » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:16 am

Hi all

When reloading cases for a straight pull rifle is there a requirement to full length size after each firing compared to once every few firings with a bolt gun?

I've found that with my vz.58 a good quantity will not feed into the chamber fully and will get stuck with some serious effort needed to get them out. Ie. To get the bolt back a hammer is needed that will rip the rim off the round.

I've tested full length sizing all cases and that appears to resolve the issue. But I'm unsure if I now need to full length size for each use.
Jubbles
Rifleman
Rifleman

Re: Case sizing for straight pull rifle

Postby flintlok » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:34 pm

It really depends on how tight the chamber is. I've resize every time for everything as I shoot multiple rifles. I found that the case base will expand on firing and in some instances if I don't use small base dies the round will stick and will not fully chamber. I have a old 8X56 mm rimmed M95 Manlicher straight pull and that seems to shoot everything just fine. I have match AR 15's and those rifles are very particular about the ammunition that will chamber. If I don't use small base dies the rounds will not load and routinely get stuck. In any case if you find you have a sticking issue with the ammo then it best to full length resize every time.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Hornet 6 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:47 am

When I started loading for my Blaser R93 I was told I must full length re-size.
Never did like doing as I was told so just neck sized, never had a problem.

Neil.
Hornet 6
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Ray7756 » Fri May 12, 2017 5:13 pm

Jubbles wrote:Hi all

When reloading cases for a straight pull rifle is there a requirement to full length size after each firing compared to once every few firings with a bolt gun?

I've found that with my vz.58 a good quantity will not feed into the chamber fully and will get stuck with some serious effort needed to get them out. Ie.

I've tested full length sizing all cases and that appears to resolve the issue. .

I think you have answered your own question, if full length resizing solves the peoblem,,,,,stick with it :thumbs:
Ray
Ray7756
Hunter
Hunter

Postby GGG » Mon May 22, 2017 7:22 pm

You might want to consider small base dies, they are specifically designed to aid feeding/extraction, primarily for semi auto style rifles.
GGG
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Lancs Lad » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:10 am

I use a A Swiss K31 on occasion and when reloading for this rifle I always full length resize and trim.
I also use a Redding die which sizes the case a bit less than the equivalent RCBS or Lee offering. I must say that I've never had any issues with any of the cases I've reloaded in this manner but I probably wouldn't try just neck-sizing for this particular rifle.
Lancs Lad
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Shootist » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:15 am

My Steyr Scout .223 will chamber just about anything sized in any way and it's still the most accurate rifle I own regardless of how the cases are sized. My Savage .223 OTOH will jam up every other round if they're neck sized so it has full length sized cases only.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Jubbles » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:19 pm

What about semi-auto rifles? Do they require case sizing or can you get away with neck sizing only?
Jubbles
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby flintlok » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:32 pm

it depends on the rifle and how tight the chamber is. I full length size everything for my semiauto's with small base dies. The match rifle have tight chambers and for some reason some of the mil spec rifles do to. Other rifles seem to eat anything and cycle just fine.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Reloading