divine

Acceptable run-out on .308

Ammunition reloading for centerfire or shotgun
Forum rules
Shooters using reloading info and load data in this forum do so at their own risk. Check all loads with printed, commercially available reloading manuals and NEVER exceed maximum powder weights. The board/forum accepts NO liability for accidents! Be careful!

Acceptable run-out on .308

Postby Cam » Tue May 09, 2017 2:25 pm

Hi all of you reloading Gurus

What do you consider to be an acceptable amount of run-out on a .308 loaded cartridge?

Thanks in advance.
Cam
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Acceptable run-out on .308

Postby Hornet 6 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:55 am

I keep it simple, does the ammo give acceptable accuracy, if yes then I don't look at it again.
If not then I start checking, for runout my first check is visual, if I cant see runout then it hasn't got any.
I have never had to resort to measuring as I have never seen any that run out enough to worry about.

Neil.
Hornet 6
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Cam » Thu May 11, 2017 5:48 am

Hi Hornet6

Many thanks.

My run-out is typically .0035 with the measurement taken approx. the midpoint between the ogive and the bullet tip.
Cam
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Hornet 6 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:53 am

Cam wrote:Hi Hornet6

Many thanks.

My run-out is typically .0035 with the measurement taken approx. the midpoint between the ogive and the bullet tip.

That's a lot and easily visible, something in your set up isn't right.
Don't bother trying to straighten them, find what is causing the problem, I'd check the sizing and seating die first.

Neil.
Hornet 6
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Cam » Thu May 11, 2017 11:50 am

Hornet 6 wrote:

Many thanks.

Don't bother trying to straighten them, find what is causing the problem, I'd check the sizing and seating die first.

Neil.

Hi Neil

3.5 thou, at the midpoint between bullet ogive and tip. Is that something that you can see?

By eye I cannot see the run-out. You must be Steve Austin, the Bionic Man!!! :grin: :grin:
Cam
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Hornet 6 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:43 am

Cam wrote:
Hornet 6 wrote:

Many thanks.

Neil.

Hi Neil

3.5 thou, at the midpoint between bullet ogive and tip. Is that something that you can see?

By eye I cannot see the run-out. You must be Steve Austin, the Bionic Man!!! :grin: :grin:

If you turn something that size while holding a pointer against it as a reference you can detect about .0015"

Neil.
Hornet 6
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Reloading