divine

Intermittent neck sizing

Ammunition reloading for centerfire or shotgun
Forum rules
Shooters using reloading info and load data in this forum do so at their own risk. Check all loads with printed, commercially available reloading manuals and NEVER exceed maximum powder weights. The board/forum accepts NO liability for accidents! Be careful!

Intermittent neck sizing

Postby mathspete » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:04 am

Sat dawn last night with a box of 50 Sako 270 brass all once fired in my rifle. I used the usual Lee die in it's usual position on the press. As I fed the brass in I could fell that about half of them were simply being deprimed and there was no "squeeze" feel as the brass went into the press, the rest felt normal resistance. When I finished I took a bullet and confirmed for myself that for about half the bullet simply slid into the case, whereas the rest it didn't :shock: I split the brass into two piles and tried adjusting the die, but couldn't get it to neck size these at all. I switched over to my Redding set and immediately felt the difference as every piece of brass from the oversize lot was correctly sized. Can anyone help as to why the Lee die was inconsistent?
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Intermittent neck sizing

Postby Shootist » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:09 pm

The Lee necksizing dies squeeze the neck onto a mandrel of fixed size. The final result would seem to be affected by the thickness of the brass at the neck (pure guess) and certainly by the amount of pressure applied to the lever, which has to be considerable in my experience. It's mentioned in the instructions that come with the dies.

I've given up on necksizing. I don't think it's as useful as some people think. Also, on my Savage rifles, .223 and .308, they both have tight chambers and necksized brass will jam on about a quarter to a third of cases. Using sizing wax as a case lube it is quick, easy, and much less messy.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Reloading