divine

Rounds not chambering

Ammunition reloading for centerfire or shotgun
Forum rules
Shooters using reloading info and load data in this forum do so at their own risk. Check all loads with printed, commercially available reloading manuals and NEVER exceed maximum powder weights. The board/forum accepts NO liability for accidents! Be careful!

Rounds not chambering

Postby mathspete » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:38 pm

Last yearI posted about some 270 rounds that were not being neck sized consistently, I was out yesterday after a roe deer on one of my permissions and found that I couldn't fully close the bolt on the round I'd chosen, after trying several I found that about half of them would not chamber, but I still got the doe who appeared. On checking the rounds on my micrometer I cannot detect anything different between the ones that will chamber and the ones that won't; the trim length and overall length are identical through the whole batch :? Any suggestions please
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Rounds not chambering

Postby Haggis » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:13 am

Check the case length?
Haggis
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby kelba1946 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:43 pm

Had the same problem with 22-250 reloads, only solution is to fully resize. Only resizing the neck nearly always leads to rounds that require excessive force to chamber or are tight to eject after firing even if trimming to maintain the correct case length. Basically neck resizing doesn't bump the neck back to it's correct position re. the case overall. Biggest issue is that if you need a quick follow up shot you are fighting a tight round.
kelba1946

Postby Les1066 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:11 pm

Hello Kelba .... welcome to the Forum, and good advice too. :thumbs:
Les1066
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:26 pm

The neck tends to thicken as near the base on each firing. After several reloads the case neck will thicken enough to cause "stick" round that can be difficult to chamber. A Forster outside neck turning tool will cure the issue. The tool slides over and clamps on to the shaft of the case length trimming tool. It has and adjustable carbide cutter so that you may set the neck thickness and uniformly outside turn the case neck. You will also need a pilot specific to the caliber that you are reloading.
https://www.forsterproducts.com/product ... ck-turner/
Youtube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sbb-F_QiBI
I've set up such a fixture on my drill press.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Shootist » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:46 pm

Similar problems on both my .223 and .308 Savage rifles with neck turning, which I have now given up on. As near as I can tell, the rifles have a fairly tight chamber and the problem seems to be a very slight swelling at the back end of the case. I have gone back to full length sizing using Hornady sizing wax as a lube, the best reloading aid I have found.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby mathspete » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:00 pm

So it looks like I need to full size. I stopped doing this after a lot of jammed brass, I
Probably wasn't using enough lube, now another question. Can I resize those loaded rounds or will I have to take them apart before running them through the die.
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Shootist » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:13 am

mathspete wrote:So it looks like I need to full size. I stopped doing this after a lot of jammed brass, I
Probably wasn't using enough lube, now another question. Can I resize those loaded rounds or will I have to take them apart before running them through the die.

Consider the effects of a round detonating in a die and ask yourself that question again. I'd say not.

If you've had brass jamming in a die then lube, or lack of it is the problem. After years of using Lee lube I changed to Hornady case lube wax and never looked back. Lee lube is good stuff but the wax is way better.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby melg4yng » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:16 pm

Had exactly the same problem. Stiff bolt to close and sometimes even stiffer to eject. Gone back to full length sizing and problem disappeared.
melg4yng
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Reloading