divine

Introduction to Bullet Casting

Ammunition reloading for centerfire or shotgun
Forum rules
Shooters using reloading info and load data in this forum do so at their own risk. Check all loads with printed, commercially available reloading manuals and NEVER exceed maximum powder weights. The board/forum accepts NO liability for accidents! Be careful!

Introduction to Bullet Casting

Postby bev6345 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:47 pm

The crippling boredom of lockdown has caused me to start up a Youtube channel, it will be a mix of reviews and reloading. First video went live today, new ones every Wednesday. Any likes, subscriptions or shares would be greatly appreciated.

https://youtu.be/il3r5cNK26A
bev6345

Re: Introduction to Bullet Casting

Postby flintlok » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:55 am

I enjoyed your video very much. I've been casting for well over 40 years and I found that you covered all of the bases nicely. The only things that I do different is that I cast outside on my back porch. That solves my ventilation issues. The other thing that I do is that I knock the lead spew into a 4 inch by 6 inch or so fiberboard box. It just makes it easier collect the spew to return it to the pot. I've saved tons of money on bullets by casting but not so much on shooting. Casting lets me shoots lots more for the same dollar value. I'll show up at the range at 10AM and shoot all day and still come home with ammo to spare. What I truly love about casting is that I can shoot long obsolete caliber in pistols and rifles were there is simply no commercial ammunition available. I've shot a US Civil War Maynard 52 caliber carbine and a original 56-56 Spencer Carbine as well as Smith and Burnside Carbines. I bought some custom cases for them but made all my own bullets. I cast my own round ball and Mine Ball for my muzzle loaders. I have a 310 Martini Cadet rifle whose chamber was bored out to accept 32-20 cartridges. The 32-20 bullet has a diameter that is to narrow for the Cadet's bore. I bought a specialty mold for a 310 Cadet heeled bullet that matches the bore diameter and I shorted about 250 32-20 cases so that the loaded cartridge accommodate the longer 310 Cadet and 32-20 Frankenstein cartridge so it could be chambered. The rifle and the loading does peak some curiosity on the range. With casting I load for old Cowboy cartridges such as the stock 32-20, 38-40, 44-40, Colt's 32 and 38 Short cartridges, 45 Long Colt, 38-55 and the 45-70. I also loaded odd ball (in the US) cartridges for rifles such a the 11.15×42mmR Werndl rifle, the 10.4mm M1870/87 Italian Vetterli-Vitali, the 11.6x40R Danish Rolling Block all with my own cast bullets. In the US I can shoot handgun and I shoot those with cast bullets including my 357 and 44 Magnums. For the high velocity loads I tend to a wax wad at the base of the bullet sandwiched in between two pieces of card stock. That combo allows me to shoot relatively soft lead without leading the bore at all. I'll always shoot something in the way of a handgun or rifle and 80% to 90% of that will be with cast bullets. I size most rifle bullets and tend to use soft lubes with my bullets. I've haven't had much luck with the hard wax lubes.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Coldfinger » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:52 pm

Reminds me of a long long long time ago

Wife: Have you been casting bullets in the kitchen?

Me: Of course not, I’ll do it outside later when it stops raining if I need to do some.

Wife: So why is there lead spatter on the net curtain?

:doh:

Edit: Sorry, should have said great video :clap:
"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby bev6345 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:35 pm

Part 2 is out, covering sizing and lubing:

https://youtu.be/9nzmbD4KQDI