divine

Slugs and bore diameters

Anything shotgun related

Re: Slugs and bore diameters

Postby flintlok » Wed May 04, 2011 11:08 pm

The_Dogge wrote:I will, I will! but I'll wait until the range is empty so nobody else is potentially endangered. I'm sure it will be fine, but even in the barrel they fit down easily it took me about 40 mins to scrub out the plastic fouling from 3 shots! In a tight barrel i might have to put the brush in a drill, is that a good idea?

Drill brushing the bore of a shotgun :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:, if you have you ask, then it's probably not a good idea. Typically shot gun bores are highly polished and polish further with subsequent firing and cleaning cycles. Also the Benelli typically has a chromed bore or at least my slug gun does. Should you get aggressive with drill brushing the bore you may create a rough spot where fouling will accumulate.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby The_Dogge » Thu May 05, 2011 9:55 am

hmmm, yes but... wont the hard chrome be so much harder than the bronze bristles that it wont come to harm?

I was thinking of rotating the brush as after a couple of brushing cycles the residue is in "stripes" up the barrel (well just the forcing cone really) which will be much more resistant to linear brushing I would think.

Is there a better way to get the plastic fouling out than tedious brushing?
The_Dogge
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby gun nut » Thu May 05, 2011 12:49 pm

Acetone might do the job (nail polish remover) - try dropping a small piece of wad into some and see if it dissolves!
A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range. - Paul Kirchner
A few acorns up the arse'd do 'em the world of good. It might even make them walk upright for a change. - Linegeist
gun nut
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby FXL5 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:08 pm

Failing that, dichloromethane (check the back of stripper and solvent bottles at B&Q) will dissolve a few things that propanone won't (though the converse is also true).

Or you could always flush it through with a hot 4:1 mix of sulphuric acid drain cleaner and 100-vol hydrogen peroxide. That'll take care of most plastics, along with any lead, copper and carbon residue. Just don't get too close.

Any clue what the plastic is?
"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve Order in the world as well as property . . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." -

Meat is murder. Tasty, tasty murder.
FXL5
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby The_Dogge » Fri May 06, 2011 9:18 am

FXL5 wrote:Any clue what the plastic is?

Basically no, but I haven't tried to find out.

After removing my nail varnish last night I poured some out and dropped a piece of wad into it as suggested*, it didnt seem to have any effect on the plastic at all, i left it overnight, but this morning the acetone has evaporated and the plastic appears unchanged. This was cheap superdrug nail varnish remover, is it possible that it just doesnt have enough acetone in it?

*I was experimenting with trimming the leaves after getting some more info on the proper dimensions and taper of the slug from Lee technical support, the slug is supposed to taper at the same rate the leaves on the wad get thicker, but I don't think this quite works out. Trimming the leaves so that they only extend about 5mm up the slug gives a combination which I can push through the Benelli barrel and may still center the slug in the bore sufficiently. I may give a few of those a go before trying unmodified wads.
The_Dogge
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby FXL5 » Fri May 06, 2011 6:49 pm

Do check on the nail polish remover, a lot of them are now 'solvent free' - no propanone in them, though what they've replaced it with I have no idea. Really you want a B&Q or Homebase - try methylbenzene (toluene), neat propanone (acetone), and DCM (methylene dichloride) if you can find them.

I was joking about the piranha solution, by the way.
"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve Order in the world as well as property . . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." -

Meat is murder. Tasty, tasty murder.
FXL5
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Fri May 06, 2011 7:03 pm

I haven’t used this product but it gotten some excellent reviews. Brownells make a plastic was solvent called Brownells “Shotgun Wad Solvent”. Everybody who uses it seems to like it. The second attachment is written by a fellow who has used the solvent with a portable drill and found that it does the trick in very little time.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1166 ... AD_SOLVENT

http://claybuster100.tripod.com/claybus ... /id21.html

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby The_Dogge » Sun May 15, 2011 8:51 pm

Well I finally got the chance, and the balls, to fire off a selection of experimental loads through the Benelli, and I'm still typing with my full complement of fingers!

The loads felt mild, well compared to commercial slug anyway! (they were 10% below book load) and all the slugs hit a target at 25m. The group wasn't great, and the wads clearly made it to the target board, probably attached to the slug, as I had been warned about on the web, apparently I need to add a 20g hard card wad under the slug, any ideas where I could get some suitable? I recovered wads, even the untrimmed ones looked fine. The loads may have been low pressure as there appeared to be some unburned powder residue in the barrel.

I didn't chrono them, but they were shifting a bit, I recovered a couple of slugs from the sand and they were totally deformed and took close examination to confirm they were mine (a police unit had been at the range in the week and fired >1400 slug rounds!)

Thanks for all the advice!
The_Dogge
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Sun May 15, 2011 10:52 pm

Congratulations on your first slug loads. See I told you that the gun would be fine. :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Previous

Return to Shotguns