divine

Black Powder 12g cartridges ?

Anything shotgun related

Black Powder 12g cartridges ?

Postby Velocette » Mon May 23, 2011 11:03 pm

I've just acquired a couple of 12g sbs hammer shotguns,,,one of which is in good shootable condition and I'm trying to source some suitable BP cartridges. Kranks said they could get them,,,at about £30.00 a box !!!!!!!!! If they are all that dear,,would re-loading be a better option ?
It would be a shame not to use at least the good one as they both have lovely Damascus barrels,,one the "twist" type and the other the normal Damascus swirls.
Any suggestions ??
Velocette
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Black Powder 12g cartridges ?

Postby humperdingle » Mon May 23, 2011 11:20 pm

I'm hoping to load some black powder shells soon with my new (old) Classic Lee Loader... Smoke is good :grin:

£30 per box seems steep :? Not in demand I suppose.
humperdingle
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Sidebyside » Tue May 24, 2011 1:16 am

Velocette wrote:I've just acquired a couple of 12g sbs hammer shotguns,,,one of which is in good shootable condition and I'm trying to source some suitable BP cartridges. Kranks said they could get them,,,at about £30.00 a box !!!!!!!!! If they are all that dear,,would re-loading be a better option ?
It would be a shame not to use at least the good one as they both have lovely Damascus barrels,,one the "twist" type and the other the normal Damascus swirls.
Any suggestions ??

I think Tim ( The Squire ) or Old Farmer are the boys for Black Powder , certainly worth a PM
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Oldfarmer » Tue May 24, 2011 7:44 am

I do keep a small stock of B/P cartridges by Gamebore - just over half the price of Kranks! Unfortunately by the time you have put on the cost of the petrol to get to Worcestershire from Yorkshire it will have cost you £75 for the box!!!
It's no big deal loading your own and the equipment is minimal particularly if you can acquire some primed cases. If you don't want to go to the trouble of a black powder licence then the substitute - either 777 or pyrodex are very good and almost as much smoke and flame!!
Look out for a roll over tool in your local junk or antique shop or e-bay. the only other tool is a scoop to throw 1 oz of shot - you can use this for the powder as well. Kranks will supply everything - powder, cards, wads, shot and you are away. I am not sure if they supply primed cases, if not you will need to get a tool to prime them with.
Best to get someone who knows what they are doing to show you the ropes to start with.
If you happen to be passing down the M5 give me a call and I am sure I can help you out.
I absolutely agree - nice old guns should be allowed to talk again and not shut away in a dark, unfriendly cupboard!!
John
Oldfarmer
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby TheSquire » Tue May 24, 2011 9:12 am

I do indeed 'roll my own' BP cartridges. I use a second hand Lee loader for the new paper cases but once star crimped you can crimp the tops by hand for subsequent loads, forcing it down with a dowel. Many people use a roll crimp but you need a special tool for that and they can be expensive and difficult to find. I get maybe 3 loads per paper case as they disintegrate after that. The last lot I did was 65 grains of medium bp with 1.25 ounces of number 7.5 shot (thats all I had). I have no idea of the cost as haven't costed it but for irregular use its OK. Loading 25 takes me about 30-40 minutes.
Happy to help, Haworth is only 30minutes from Skipton.
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target.........
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." General John Sedgwick
TheSquire
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Oldfarmer » Tue May 24, 2011 9:33 pm

The satisfaction of knocking a clay or pheasant down with a 130 year old gun, firing black powder from a cartridge you have loaded yourself is beyond measure and the cost to enjoyment ratio is so much higher than smokeless I can't ever see it catching on!!!!
John
Oldfarmer
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Tue May 24, 2011 10:57 pm

With black powder I can't see much through the smoke either. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby nickhornet » Wed May 25, 2011 12:37 pm

I make my own i invested in the Lee loadall and use old once fired plastic cartridges... cheap as chips that way ;-)
SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI

Soylent Green is people and eating your own brain does not hurt so i'm informed
nickhornet
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby TheSquire » Wed May 25, 2011 2:57 pm

If you have the powder, cases and shot I am happy to pop over with the Loadall if you would like? I have some wads you can have but no shot as I have just run out. If you are buying some shot, watch out as prices have recently shot up! (no pun intended :grin: ).
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target.........
TheSquire
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby humperdingle » Wed May 25, 2011 3:57 pm

For you guys that load black powder... How much of a hassle is it getting the relevant licence?
humperdingle
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby TheSquire » Wed May 25, 2011 4:07 pm

Not much really once you can deal with the hassle of getting your FAC. You need a wooden storage box (of precise quality / dimensions) for the powder and somewhere secure for it. The forms are (well in North Yorkshire they are) available on line and you still get a visit from the FEO (well I did) to prove storage etc. The weird bit is once you have the licence to store it you then need to get a licence to carry it from the shop to your house! (Competent Transfer Authority I think its called) A quick fax / letter sorts this bit out. Not too much bother really just time consuming.
TheSquire
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby humperdingle » Wed May 25, 2011 4:48 pm

TheSquire wrote:Not much really once you can deal with the hassle of getting your FAC. You need a wooden storage box (of precise quality / dimensions) for the powder and somewhere secure for it. The forms are (well in North Yorkshire they are) available on line and you still get a visit from the FEO (well I did) to prove storage etc. The weird bit is once you have the licence to store it you then need to get a licence to carry it from the shop to your house! (Competent Transfer Authority I think its called) A quick fax / letter sorts this bit out. Not too much bother really just time consuming.

I find it odd that a SGC holder can buy quantities of nitro based powders without any problems, but a licence(s) are required for black powder. Both pretty potent powders. I'm assuming it has something to do with the wider range of explosive uses for black powder :?
humperdingle
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby nickhornet » Wed May 25, 2011 5:39 pm

I use BP so infrequently i get a buddy of mine whom lives 3 miles away to buy it for me and store it for me... ;-) When i want to make some he comes down for a cuppa and some cake and i knock a couple of boxes up... ;-) he then takes it home ;-)

i was too tight to buy / build a box to store it in :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI

Soylent Green is people and eating your own brain does not hurt so i'm informed
nickhornet
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby TheSquire » Wed May 25, 2011 6:05 pm

I'm assuming it has something to do with the wider range of explosive uses for black powder

Blackpowder is classified as an explosive but nitro powders are, I think, classified as an accelerent(?) so not subject to such tight restrictions. Blackpowder is dirty, messy and smelly but such fun! Its a very different experience. A gunclub mate told me that BP cartridges give more of a push than a kick, which sums it up quite well I reckon.
TheSquire
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Sidebyside » Wed May 25, 2011 7:19 pm

nickhornet wrote:I use BP so infrequently i get a buddy of mine whom lives 3 miles away to buy it for me and store it for me... ;-) When i want to make some he comes down for a cuppa and some cake and i knock a couple of boxes up... ;-) he then takes it home ;-)
BEER and a bacon sarny :thup:
i was too tight to buy / build a box to store it in :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh yeah , adjustment after reading between the lines Horny ;) :grin: :grin: :grin:
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next

Return to Shotguns