divine

Shotgun application and anxiety

Anything shotgun related

Shotgun application and anxiety

Postby Jamie.cutter » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:30 pm

Hi all, just got a quick question to ask.
I have recently applied for my sgc, i was diagnosed with anxiety approx 2 years ago due to my relationship breaking down and was prescribed a low dose of medication for it.
I no longer need the medication and haven't had it since early this year.I no longer suffer from it.
I put all this in my application and had my interview a couple of days ago. The fao asked if it was all finished with and I said yes. He said ok just got to wait to get the report from your doctor.
Just worried that I may get refused!
Has anyone else been in this situation?

Many thanks
Jamie
Jamie.cutter
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Re: Shotgun application and anxiety

Postby shotgun sam » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:52 pm

Jamie,
I was in the same situation with the FEO asking for a doctors report because of the medicine I take for arthritis you should be all right keep us posted anyway.

Sam
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
CZ 455 22 Lr/17 Hmr
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
shotgun sam
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Jamie.cutter » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:54 pm

Ok thanks Sam, the feo said to me that they would have done a doctors report anyway regardless of weather I put in what I did or not?
Jamie.cutter
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby humperdingle » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:33 am

Lots of folk have been in similar situations. The police will basically be looking to find out if you're a danger to yourself or others.

There are fewer SGCs refused than you might imagine :thup:
humperdingle
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Jamie.cutter » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:09 am

Thanks dingle, just a waiting game then, the poor gun cabinet is sitting here empty
Jamie.cutter
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby plugg » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:43 pm

The police (FEO) have to be very careful, for some obvious reasons and some others not so obvious, in processing an application from someone who had or is suffering from a mental illness and they have to get everything right from the very beginning.

For a shotgun certificate the FEO has to prove, and be able to back it up in a court, that someone is unsuitable to be trusted with a shotgun either due to a risk to themselves or to the public and to peace.

Having a mental illness wont automatically bar someone from owning a shotgun, I know a cracking bloke who has received treatment for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) from his time serving in the army and he holds shotgun and firearms certificates.

TBH, Jamie, I wouldnt worry about it at all, as long as you are straight with the FEO, give them access to your conditions history through your doctor and your counter signatory knows about your condition and can give a good 'reference' when the FEO calls you will be fine.

All the best :thup:
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Viperteks » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:53 pm

Anxiety is NOT depression, it is a form of stress (although I hasten to add I am NOT a professional :shock: ). As Plugg stated is won't necessarily bar you from owning a shotgun, I have a good friend who was very depressed some years ago, even to the point of self admission to a Hospital, he now has a SGC!

Chin up bud, and welcome to the forum!

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Jamie.cutter » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:42 pm

thanks alot plugg and dave, just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. the annoying thing is i know and everyone else i know, knows i want it so i can do my hobby

will keep you posted
Jamie.cutter
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby plugg » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:08 pm

Jamie.cutter wrote:thanks alot plugg and dave, just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. the annoying thing is i know and everyone else i know, knows i want it so i can do my hobby

will keep you posted

Unless you are psychotic (defined as loosing a grip on reality as opposed to murderous), schizophrenic (again, tend to loose a grip on reality) MPD (multiple personality disorder) compulsive self harmer or suicidal then there shouldnt be a problem.

Be open with the FEO, they arent here to judge or to take the pi5s, they will be straight down the line and tell you how it is.
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Jamie.cutter » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:12 pm

yeah i have been honest with him from the start, told him on my application the story and that i was on the medication and have been off if for quite a while. when he interviewed me he asked if it was all finished with and i said yes
Jamie.cutter
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Jamie.cutter » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:39 pm

just to put another spanner in the works, spoke to my doctors surgury today to chase them up and the secretary said she doesnt think any of the doctors there will do the report.
any one know what would happen then if they dont do it?
Jamie.cutter
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby humperdingle » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:56 pm

Jamie.cutter wrote:just to put another spanner in the works, spoke to my doctors surgury today to chase them up and the secretary said she doesnt think any of the doctors there will do the report.

Doctors' secretary/receptionists should really get paid more than the doctor... They seem to know everything :roll:

I don't see how they can refuse :?
humperdingle
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Viperteks » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:10 pm

humperdingle wrote:
Jamie.cutter wrote:just to put another spanner in the works, spoke to my doctors surgury today to chase them up and the secretary said she doesnt think any of the doctors there will do the report.

Doctors' secretary/receptionists should really get paid more than the doctor... They seem to know everything :roll:

I don't see how they can refuse :?

Yes I think they are bound by law to provide the information required, and ONLY the informaotion required, that stops ANTI shooting Dr's from twisting the information!

Last year I had this situation where my mate's (who self admitted) Dr supposedly wrote to the POlice saying he should NOT have a shotgun, it transpired that this was NOT the case, it was someone else who twisted the Dr's specific findings, still caused a few months of hassle!

All resolved now!

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Jamie.cutter » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:55 pm

yeah the receptionist said she thinks its against all the dr's policies there at the surgery, sounds silly to me if iam honest.
Jamie.cutter
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Fenrir » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:10 pm

In the aftermath of the Cumbria shootings I saw an interview with a GP from the area who refused on principle to sign these forms, he did however state that his partners had no such qualms and he would routinely pass the forms to another doctor to complete.
For the avoidance of doubt, there is no such thing as "American English". There is the English language and there are mistakes.
Fenrir
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next

Return to Shotguns