divine

1897 Trench Gun

Anything shotgun related

1897 Trench Gun

Postby jegb » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:40 am

Would one of theese be legal as a section 1 12 gauge?
"Mama said the pistol is the devil's right hand"
jegb
Rifleman
Rifleman

Re: 1897 Trench Gun

Postby libensvolenspotens » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:14 am

If you could justify the need for one yes.

Cheers,
Dave
libensvolenspotens
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby thibben » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:54 pm

Think they are a bit short in the barrel even for section 1?

Used to shoot a 97 for CAS in the US, not the trench but the commercial take down version, nice gun, can slam fire them (should you so wish :thup: ) .

Believe Norinco make a modern repro but the wood lloks like a bit fo floor board.

T
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
thibben
Hunter
Hunter

Postby The_Dogge » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:02 pm

No, the barrel is <24", so they are not section 1 legal. There are some Norinco repros about in the UK, not many, and they are all the standard version.
The_Dogge
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:35 pm

I love the 1897's in the movie Untouchable's during the "shootout on the bridge scene". This clip in dubbed in Italian but the 1897's speak a universal language. Actually in any iteration the 1897’s are fun guns to shoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1yW6bSk ... re=related
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby boyscout1982 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:01 pm

Norinco Copy of Winchester 1897 will be made available at the Bisley Show on 25th March.

PM me for details and if you are interested in purchasing.
I think the dealer wants £395, new in the box. Fixed choke and 28" Barrel.
"The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown." - Walter Kovacs
boyscout1982
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Shootist » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:24 am

The_Dogge wrote:No, the barrel is <24", so they are not section 1 legal. There are some Norinco repros about in the UK, not many, and they are all the standard version.

If the barrel is under 24" then they are S.1. Over 24" and mag <3 then S.2. You just have to thinkof a reason to own a short barrelled pump shotgun. I think it can be done,
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby libensvolenspotens » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:58 am

I have seen one used at my local range so it can be done.
I am unaware of the reason he gave for the variation though.
Probably collecting World war 1 arms.

Cheers,
Dave
libensvolenspotens
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby boyscout1982 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:21 am

Shootist wrote:
The_Dogge wrote:No, the barrel is <24", so they are not section 1 legal. There are some Norinco repros about in the UK, not many, and they are all the standard version.

If the barrel is under 24" then they are S.1. Over 24" and mag <3 then S.2. You just have to thinkof a reason to own a short barrelled pump shotgun. I think it can be done,

I had this debate with one of my club members and with my FEO.

FEO takes his interpretation from Section 1 of the Firearms Act as follows:

(3)This section applies to every firearm except— .
[F1(a)a shot gun within the meaning of this Act, that is to say a smooth-bore gun (not being an air gun) which— .
(i)has a barrel not less than 24 inches in length and does not have any barrel with a bore exceeding 2 inches in diameter; .
(ii)either has no magazine or has a non-detachable magazine incapable of holding more than two cartridges;

So he says this covers Section 1 for shotgun barrels SHORTER than 24". :thup: This makes me happy!

However, an experienced shooter referred me to Section 5 and the following:

[F11

(ac)any self-loading or pump-action smooth-bore gun which is not [F13an air weapon or] chambered for .22 rim-fire cartridges and either has a barrel less than 24 inches in length or F14. . . is less than 40 inches in length overall;

This makes me sad. :thdn:

The two sections seem to contradict eachother (big surprise) and this fact makes me :barf: :cry: :? :cry: :lol: :barf: and lastly very very :mad: . Because my taxes pay the muppets that sucked these controls out of whatever PC gratifying crack pipe that was being passed around at the time.

So what do we do?? Apparently a lever action shotgun with a 12" barrel can be had on a Section 1 ticket (Pete Starley has one) for fun, but you can't get hold of a 18.5" Mossberg 590 pump for Practical Shotgun (an international sport with regular competitions).

Is it all up to the interpretation of the arresting officer....
Remember Mick Shepherd? Metropolitan Police stuffed up and still refuse to give him back his antiques evern after being ordered to by a judge. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6223750.stm
"The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown." - Walter Kovacs
boyscout1982
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby HDAV » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:49 am

It isn't contradictory you can have a single or double barrel gun shorter than 24" on sect 1 like a coach gun or shot pistol as long as it isn't a semi/pump a short lever action .410 may be a conundrum tho.
Added 2" to my weapon and my hit rate went up ;)
HDAV
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby boyscout1982 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:42 am

HDAV wrote:It isn't contradictory you can have a single or double barrel gun shorter than 24" on sect 1 like a coach gun or shot pistol as long as it isn't a semi/pump a short lever action .410 may be a conundrum tho.

I see what you mean. Thanks for explaining that.

Next question is why? One is as deadly as the other and these are in place, supposedly, to limit some nutter's firepower so statistically he/she can kill less people before the authorities put a stop to it.

Or is there another reason for it. I'd would like to know what makes this http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2477 okay but this http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/imagepreview.asp?mid=512252 is ILLEGAL.

The lever action is 27.5" long and the pump is 38.5", making it more of a pain to conceal if a criminal wanted to use it to commit a crime.
boyscout1982
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby libensvolenspotens » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:28 pm

The one that I saw at the range had the heat shield & bayonet lug and could be "Slam fired".
In all honesty I did not notice the barrel length at the time although it was an original, circa 1914-18 so presumably had a 20" barrel.
I assumed that it was section 1 as magazine held more than 2 rounds.
I haven't seen the guy at the range for some time but if I do I shall enquire.
Cheers,
Dave
libensvolenspotens
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby saddler » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:57 pm

boyscout1982 wrote:The lever action is 27.5" long and the pump is 38.5", making it more of a pain to conceal if a criminal wanted to use it to commit a crime.

...and criminals ALWAYS make sure that their guns are not in breach of the firearms acts, don't they??? :? :shock:

A pump-action or semi-auto s/g with a sub-24" barrel IS a Section 5 gun
HOME OFFICE rules have direct bearing - local FEO's getting confused on what is what is another matter; anyone want to volunteer to be the first test case in the High Court??
.22 BRNO 2, FN pump
.223 Rem700PSS-Armalon
6.5 Husqvarna M96(M43)
6.8SPC Rem700LTR
.303 WinP14
.30-06 Win70 SuperGrade & Rem M1903A4
.45 Win94 Trapper
410 Webley, No.4
12-ga (S1) Win1897 & Rem870 (S2) Ithaca37, FN A5, Win1912, Feg, Rem870
saddler
Trade Member
Trade Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby boyscout1982 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:14 am

saddler wrote:
boyscout1982 wrote:The lever action is 27.5" long and the pump is 38.5", making it more of a pain to conceal if a criminal wanted to use it to commit a crime.

...and criminals ALWAYS make sure that their guns are not in breach of the firearms acts, don't they??? :? :shock:

A pump-action or semi-auto s/g with a sub-24" barrel IS a Section 5 gun
HOME OFFICE rules have direct bearing - local FEO's getting confused on what is what is another matter; anyone want to volunteer to be the first test case in the High Court??

hehe, law makers seem to think that their firearms act will hold water with crims...But then they think that they can legislate against inanimate objects. :zzzz: :zzzz: :zzzz:

Technically a shotgun that can "slam fire" is also in breach of regulations as it can fire more than one shot without releasing the trigger.

Deja vu... I think we are just recycling old arguments against silly laws. :lol:
boyscout1982
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:17 am

boyscout1982 wrote:
Technically a shotgun that can "slam fire" is also in breach of regulations as it can fire more than one shot without releasing the trigger.

Deja vu... I think we are just recycling old arguments against silly laws. :lol:

Note that all shot guns fire more than one shot with the release of a trigger. I wouldn't want to polish terms to much as the anti's use our own language to outlaw certain firearms. The term "assault weapon" is a classic example which was originally used to describe selective fire military arms. The words "assault weapon" that were so casually used by some folks were in turn was use to ban civilian semiautos. My semi auto AK only bears a passing resemblance to the selective AK fire that the world well knows.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Shotguns