divine

Possible Problem With Cerakote?

Anything shotgun related

Possible Problem With Cerakote?

Postby Hares Ear » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:04 pm

I've just had a Beretta Ultima barrel done with Cerakote. The barrel finish was Beretta's usual standard, overpriced crap.
Any threat of rain, the barrel rusted. Don't even think about what it looked like after a morning on the fore-shore. So I visited my nearest approved Cerakote distributor.
The result looks very good, and I don't see any problems with any further weather related damage, BUT?
All the proof marks, chamber length information, 'Please read instruction manual' etc. Have disappeared. They have been completely filled in and smoothed over with the coating.
How do I stand if I ever want to sell it? As the proof marks are now illegible, is the gun out of proof?
Robin.
A Snider squibbed in the jungle,
Somebody laughed and fled,
And the men of the First Shikaris
Picked up their Subaltern dead
Hares Ear
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Possible Problem With Cerakote?

Postby leadpig » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:57 pm

tedster wrote:Nah, you'll be fine as long as you don't alter the structure of the barrels, as in chopping bits off and such like.

After all, the proof marks are still there and the coating could be scraped off if needs be.

scraped :lol:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/fCr0jToaMs4[/youtube]

;) ;) ;)
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Ray7756 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:29 am

[quote][/quote]All the proof marks, chamber length information, 'Please read instruction manual' etc. Have disappeared. They have been completely filled in and smoothed over with the coating.
How do I stand if I ever want to sell it? As the proof marks are now illegible, is the gun out of proof?[quote][/quote

it would still be legal, but would you buy a gun without seeing the "Proof marks" I would NOT

I would suggest cleaning the marks off so they can be seen and maybe a coat of paint/ smear of grease etc to keep the rust out
but it only becomes an issue if you decide to sell, so worry about it when its time to flog it on
:grin: :grin:
Ray7756
Hunter
Hunter

Postby leadpig » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:58 am

Ray7756 wrote:
All the proof marks, chamber length information, 'Please read instruction manual' etc. Have disappeared. They have been completely filled in and smoothed over with the coating.
How do I stand if I ever want to sell it? As the proof marks are now illegible, is the gun out of proof?
[/quote

it would still be legal, but would you buy a gun without seeing the "Proof marks" I would NOT

I would suggest cleaning the marks off so they can be seen and maybe a coat of paint/ smear of grease etc to keep the rust out
but it only becomes an issue if you decide to sell, so worry about it when its time to flog it on

do you understand what cerakote is :? :? , your not going to just wipe it off ;) :lol:
the proof marks imho are toast
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Ray7756 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:04 am

leadpig wrote:
Ray7756 wrote:
[/quote

do you understand what cerakote is :? :? , your not going to just wipe it off ;) :lol:

nope never seen the stuff, but if the proof marks are gone so is the chance to legally sell the gun ??????
Ray7756
Hunter
Hunter

Postby leadpig » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:06 pm

Ray7756 wrote:
leadpig wrote:
Ray7756 wrote:
[/quote

nope never seen the stuff, but if the proof marks are gone so is the chance to legally sell the gun ??????

not sure, technically they are still there but cerakote is ceramic based and designed not to crack/come off again :hmm:

if i get any done i will photograph the numbers and get the pic signed by a rfd/person doing the coating

leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Hares Ear » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:16 pm

Ray7756 wrote:

No, I wouldn't either, and without the original barrel dimensions, how does anyone measure for wear. I've no intention of selling the gun, it's my knockabout in the back of the Land Rover, and my duck gun on the fore-shore. My main worry is when my tickets are up for renewal. There is a serial number on the action, so hopefully, this will satisfy my F.L.O.

Has anyone had one done with Hydrographics, does that type of coating go on as thick?
Robin.
Hares Ear
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:46 pm

Hares Ear wrote:
Ray7756 wrote:

No, I wouldn't either, and without the original barrel dimensions, how does anyone measure for wear. I've no intention of selling the gun, it's my knockabout in the back of the Land Rover, and my duck gun on the fore-shore. My main worry is when my tickets are up for renewal. There is a serial number on the action, so hopefully, this will satisfy my F.L.O.

Has anyone had one done with Hydrographics, does that type of coating go on as thick?

no, i was going to get my 22lr done until tommo warned me it does not last long, shame as my b.i.l has all the gear to do it :cry:

leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Hares Ear » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:27 am

I know Hydrographics isn't as hard wearing. That's why I chose Cerakote. But, if it's pushed my carabine out of proof, it wasn't worth it.
Robin.
Hares Ear
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Hares Ear » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:29 pm

Phew. A reyt good do.
If I smear the area of the proof with a wipe of thin oil, and don our lasses reading glasses. I can see the proof marks :grin:
The bit about reading the owners manual before use is toast though. What a shame ;)
Robin.
Hares Ear
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Shotguns