divine

how many cartridges do you keep?

Anything shotgun related

how many cartridges do you keep?

Postby Hovannes » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:23 am

Target shooters in my neck of the woods buy by the (250 count) flat, usually when Winchester or Remington are offering rebates, Walmart Federal bargain packs, or other brands like Estates and Rios when they go on sale. Hunters usually keep less ammo for game like Turkey and Goose, although dove hunters buy flats of whatever is cheap and goes bang (dove hunters shoot a lot of shells!) With expensive steel shot mandated for waterfowl and smaller takes permitted, duck loads aren't the biggest sellers (one season---one box of shells seems to be the mantra)
I've currently got two flats of Remington field loads, a flat of Winchester AAs and half a flat of old Federal Leagues for clays, two more flats of lead hunting loads(Federal and Winchester Super X) and a box of Estate 4 Buck, mostly #8 for targets and #6 for hunting---all bought on sale except for the Estate 4 Buck. The target loads will all be spent by this autumn while the flats of hunting loads might take a while to shoot up (but not too long awhile, as lead upland game loads will be banned for hunting in California by 2017 as I understand it :shock: )
What sort of supply of shotgun cartridges do you feel comfortable keeping for your shooting sports? How long does it usually take for you to "turn them over?" :hmm:
Hovannes
Rifleman
Rifleman

Re: how many cartridges do you keep?

Postby Fenrir » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:31 am

Usually buy a thousand at a time, replenish when I get to the last slab.
For the avoidance of doubt, there is no such thing as "American English". There is the English language and there are mistakes.
Fenrir
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:07 am

i buy clay shells a couple or 3 thousand at a time,pigeon/crow shells about the same and game loads a 1000/1500 at a time.
i replace when i drop on a good deal :grin:
my lockable shell cabinet will hold about 10,000 but there is no UK law to to say they have to be locked away unlike rifle ammunition which does :!:
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Sidebyside » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:37 am

At this moment in time I have 4 slabs of 410 , and 12 slabs of 12g 5s and approx 300 mixed heavy load magnum 12g cartridges , outside I have quite a few paving slabs :oops: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:40 pm

I've got 500 rounds of 2 and 1/2 inch trap loads, several hundred round of No Six. 250 round of police load slugs (one ounce at 1200 fps), another 400 rounds or so of hunting slugs 2 3/4's as well as 3 inch, and about 400 rounds of double OO's mixed with 12 pellet, 15 pellet and 3 inch 18 pellet. I also have several hundred round of miscellaneous stuff. I don't shoot very shotgun and I had some of this stuff for years. It's cheap enough that I will by a case of 250 cartridges when I need it.

I still boycotting 22 ammo though and because of that I've slow down my shooting activity. It's too scarce and it's rip off when I find it. I've have enough to last a very long time if I use it in moderation. I've always have had enough.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Tommo » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:02 pm

Cheap and cheerful here with around 1000 12g Eley First, 7.5, 24gm and a 'selection' of other various 12g carts. Think I'll be stocking up on another thousand or so soon, depends what's around and how they're priced.
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Postby Bushdog » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:47 am

I generally have a couple thousand clay cartridges on hand - at present I have just broken into my last thou, so will need to buy some more soon. Also at least 500 game cartridges (1 1/16oz 5 or 6s) and a hundred or so steel shot for ducks, plus a box or two of bismuth (ouch!!).
I also have around 500 16bore cartridges and maybe 100 .410s.
Like others, I tend to buy when I see a good deal on something I like.
Bushdog
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Shotguns