divine

Obtaining a first licence

Anything shotgun related

Obtaining a first licence

Postby Pepi1967 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:28 pm

Hi guys I'm sure you have been asked this more times than any other question but I'm TOTALY new to the sport of clay shooting infact I've only been three times and it's addictive so the question is this. I'm going to be applying for a licence this week in Staffordshire where I live I've ordered the safe and got a spot in the loft for it as I was told to do by another shooter but when I get the visit from the police and he asks me why I want a shotgun what am I supposed to say? I mean the obvious thing to say would be to go clay shooting but that sounds like I'm being sarcastic. I'm not a member of any club I just go when I can and I'm not a land owner so can't prove that I need my own gun. I know to get a FAC you have to be a member of a club and have done probation etc etc is it the same for shotguns? I mean if your a land owner or game keeper etc that would be a legitimate reason for having one but I'm just a go shoot some clays every other Saturday kind of guy so am I going to make myself look a numpty for applying for a licence? Or should I just save face and use other people's guns until they get fed up of lending them to me? I know that some of the guys I've spoken to have several guns each do you have to justify each shotgun you buy and why you need more than one like you do with FAC guns? A long post to ask a simple question I know but I just want to do it right any help you can give would be a bonus.
Pepi1967
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Re: Obtaining a first licence

Postby Keef » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:41 pm

For a shotgun you do not have to give a reason to have, it is a right and you can have as many shotguns as you want as long as you can store them securely.

You complete the application form, referees forms and photograph and submit it with the fee. Eventually you will get an interview where they will check your security both the safe and the house.

I would advise against putting the safe in the loft. It's more awkward to get at so there's a tendency to "Put the gun away later" plus you are putting a lot more weight on the rafters which they may not have been designed for especially in a modern house.

As long as the safe is out of sight of visitors and secured properly to the wall it will pass inspection. If you can mount it in a corner with the opening (usually on the left) against the wall as this makes it more difficult to get a jemmy in.

If the FEO does ask what you are going to use the shotgun for just say clay shooting at various locations.

You don't say where in Staffordshire you live. If it's near Stoke the FEO is likely to be Brett Oakes. You might have to make your door frames higher as he's a bit tall - he has to duck coming through mine! :) :)

Offer him a cup of tea and answer any questions straight and you'll have no problems. You could mention that you intend to take lessons if asked.

Just remember when you fill the form in you have to declare any convictions and this includes any motoring offences which people tend to forget about.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby scoop » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:02 pm

As long as you're honest and not hiding anything dont worry .
If in doubt phone your firearms licencing and they will be able to answer any questions and set your mind at ease . I have phoned a few times and e mailed as well myself
scoop
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:08 pm

I would never put a gun safe in the loft due to the daily temperature differentials and the associated condensation problems this will produce.
IE- water and guns is not a good combination :thdn:
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Pepi1967 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:10 pm

That's great advice thank you for that. I was surprised to read it is our right to have/own them I didn't think we had any rights left when it came to firearms. I'm glad I can put the safe downstairs I was a bit worried about it being in the loft. And the bit about the opening being near to a wall is a great idea. Thanks for taking the time to reply. :grin:
Pepi1967
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Keef » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:19 pm

You have the right to shotguns which are Section 2 firearms

Sadly the same doesn't apply to Section 1 which cover firearms with a rifled barrel such as target rights and stalking guns. For these you do have give a valid reason such as vermin control, stalking or target shooting as a full club member.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Pepi1967 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:08 pm

[/quote]You don't say where in Staffordshire you live. If it's near Stoke the FEO is likely to be Brett Oakes. You might have to make your door frames higher as he's a bit tall - he has to duck coming through mine! :) :)

Offer him a cup of tea and answer any questions straight and you'll have no problems. You could mention that you intend to take lessons if asked.

Just remember when you fill the form in you have to declare any convictions and this includes any motoring offences which people tend to forget about.[/quote]

Oh sorry I live in biddulph and some great advice too. Oh and I'm criminally clean so to speak. I've never ever had a parking fine lol. thanks to all who have replied so far it's all very helpful and thanks for the warm welcome :grin:
Pepi1967
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby scoop » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:02 pm

Where about is the clay ground that you were shooting at ?
The wife and i have had a few breaks near Leek and i didn't know there was a clay ground close by
scoop
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Pepi1967 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:18 pm

scoop wrote:Where about is the clay ground that you were shooting at ?
The wife and i have had a few breaks near Leek and i didn't know there was a clay ground close by

The place I went to was called cloud side shooting grounds....

Cloudside Shooting Ground
Red Lane
Congleton
Cheshire
CW12 3QG
Pepi1967
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby scoop » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:28 pm

We stayed at fairboroughs farm , it must be about 5 miles away from cloudside shooting ground
scoop
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Deallad » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:28 am

Quite well off for clay shooting round here, have at least 6 less than 10 mins away Sunday morning sounds like the battle of the bulge up to lunch time

Mike
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter
Hunter