divine

Shotguns and spare barrels

Anything shotgun related

Shotguns and spare barrels

Postby mr smith » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:11 am

Recently picked up a New Haven 600/Mossberg 500 and thinking the law on aquiring a spare barrel with a higher capacity mag tube.It is currently sec2 with plans to go sec1,so can i buy a bigger magazine barrel in the mean time and as long as i don't fit it till the varation is sorted?
Dundee rifle and pistol club
mr smith
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Shotguns and spare barrels

Postby plugg » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:16 pm

mr smith wrote:Recently picked up a New Haven 600/Mossberg 500 and thinking the law on aquiring a spare barrel with a higher capacity mag tube.It is currently sec2 with plans to go sec1,so can i buy a bigger magazine barrel in the mean time and as long as i don't fit it till the varation is sorted?

Hiya Graeme,

Are ye' weel loon?

Right...

If you buy the barrel/tube then you have the capacity to fit the parts turning it into a sect 1 firearm...its a component part, in fact the only part that changes a sect 2 shotty into a sect 1 firearm.
Thats not to say that you will but being from Dundee... :razz: :razz: :grin: ;)

Also, I would imagine that you will need the 'slot' to acquire the barrel/tube on your FAC so I wouldnt have thought that you could acquire without having your FAC (with the authority to acquire).

Im pretty sure even with a spare barrel for a sect 2 shotty needs to be written on the SGC although its not 'a shotgun' its a component part. I might be incorrect though.
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby mr smith » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:49 pm

A'right Phil daein fine mate just keeping under the radar.
The reason for my question is while my local firearms usually pretty good the last time i asked for a slot for a spare barrel had them totally bewildered.I was looking the change the barrel in the 10/22 and was going to buy it off a guy in another club,so it should have been easy,get slot buy barrel,swap it for the ruger one.The only way they were prepared to do it was if i handed the ruger one into them,no prob really they just seemed to think i was up to no good by wanting another barrel.
So my hope was if i already owned it it might make things easier.Should have made it clearer the likelyhood the longer mag would be sec2 i.e. crimped.This and the current crimed tube would dealt with after moving on to FAC.
mr smith
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby rgs101 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:51 pm

I have a mossberg 500

When i wished to buy a hushpower barrel for it i simply walked into the gun shop and asked for a hushpower barrel and i was sold it he didnt even look at my license, and it was certainly not entered on it.

I asked why, he said its just a bit of metal tube
.243 Howa 1500
.17hmr browning t-bolt
.22 Ruger 10/22
.22 CZ 452
.22 Colt M4 OPS Carbine
.22 HW100 with pulsar N550
12g mossberg 500A pump
.410 hushpower
rgs101
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby mr smith » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:59 pm

Yeah on sec2 it's not a problem but i've now taken this gun to sec1.The idea was to get a spare barrel for it before hand to make them allowing a spare barrel on FAC easier.Just put in for a spare when i put in for a variation for the shotgun/LBP/LBR and got it no problem other than due to a few mistakes on the FAC both times i tried to pick it up.
mr smith
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Shotguns