divine

Choke Query

Anything shotgun related

Choke Query

Postby Delta Tubs » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:30 pm

Hi all i have a question regarding chokes,its all voddoo to me :?

i have a 28" Browning 325 12 gauge i only shoot clays at the moment,would love to try out some field shooting :) It is currently fitted with a modified on the over and a imp cylinder on the under. Does this sound about right :?: I can switch barrels for the first shot and it is currently shooting the under first is this correct or should i change :?:

Not that its going to improve my shot :lol:

Delta Tubs
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Re: Choke Query

Postby Delta Tubs » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:51 pm

Thanks for the advice Ted :thup: I would haver to check that I could do this at the clay grounds as I dont have access to land to shoot on. It would certainly give me a better idea of how the chokes work :)
Delta Tubs
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby leadpig » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:28 pm

Delta Tubs wrote:Thanks for the advice Ted :thup: I would haver to check that I could do this at the clay grounds as I dont have access to land to shoot on. It would certainly give me a better idea of how the chokes work :)

most clubs will have a pattern plate for doing this :thup:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:33 pm

i also would not get to hung up about chokes, they make little difference to the novice shooter, pointing the gun in the right direction is the first thing to get right ;) :grin:
i shot 1/4 and 1/4 for years for everything :thup:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby bedwards1966 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:41 am

I'd leave them as they are.
I think that people worry far too much about chokes, particularly those fairly new to shooting. You can slightly improve your chances on certain targets by using a choke that is more suited to it, but you still need to point the gun in the right direction.

I certainly do not consider myself to be a brilliant shot, but I don't really notice any difference in my scores. In fact, my favorite gun has I think half and a very full choke, and I do at least as well with that gun as anything else I have shot. That's because it fits me, and I have a better chance of pointing it where it needs to be! I don't believe for a moment that opening them up would make any difference to my scores.
bedwards1966
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:40 am

leadpig wrote:
Delta Tubs wrote:Thanks for the advice Ted :thup: I would haver to check that I could do this at the clay grounds as I dont have access to land to shoot on. It would certainly give me a better idea of how the chokes work :)

I`ve shot at more clubs than you can count and I don`t think any one of them had a pattern plate dave :hmm: :hmm:
or for that matter,any particular place for patterning your gun.
the club where I shoot most will let you pattern your gun,but you`d need to bring your own paper/plate/something to put it on.
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:37 pm

must just be over here then :hmm:

leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby HDAV » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:52 pm

Buffy Vampire Slayer wrote:
leadpig wrote:

I`ve shot at more clubs than you can count and I don`t think any one of them had a pattern plate dave :hmm: :hmm:
or for that matter,any particular place for patterning your gun.
the club where I shoot most will let you pattern your gun,but you`d need to bring your own paper/plate/something to put it on.

Odd, 2 near me have them but one is down the side of a steel container and hidden from the clubhouse and stands the other its alongside a stand but looks like a a sign thats been shot. Both have a bucket of white paint which you slap on the plate then shoot and then slap some more paint on. Have you asked if they have pattern plate?
Added 2" to my weapon and my hit rate went up ;)
HDAV
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Owdnorthener » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:46 pm

Hi, I use 1/4 on bottom barrel and 1/2 choke on top one for everything. Works on clays and in the field for me.

I agree with other comments though and try not getting hung up on changing chokes around. Find what suits you and stay with it.

Good luck.
Owdnorthener
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Delta Tubs » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:55 pm

Thanks for all the avice and help :thup:

As has been said I've decided not to worry too much about the chokes and just get on with it :)

Ted thanks for your offer it's very kind :thup: PM sent
Delta Tubs
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Return to Shotguns