divine

Cleaning Issues Berettta Chrome Barrels

Anything shotgun related

Cleaning Issues Berettta Chrome Barrels

Postby jonathan996 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:14 pm

Hi Guys

I have a new Silver Pigeon Deluxe and a 686 Gold E, both are a pig to get the barrels clean after shooting Plastic and Fibre being worse!

I have tried a variety of cartridges, all the same. Anyone else have the same issue, and found a good fast way of cleaning the barrels?

Never had it as hard on previous and other guns.

Regards

Jonathan
jonathan996

Re: Cleaning Issues Berettta Chrome Barrels

Postby humperdingle » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:43 pm

Just forward of the chamber particularly bad?

I used to spray Legia into the barrels, leave for 5 mins, then copper jag them. Usually just takes a bit of elbow grease.
humperdingle
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Deallad » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:57 pm

I saw a video on youtube that worked well and cheap

Take a sheet of kitchen towel tear in half screw it into a ball soak with solvent push into the barrel then push through with a jag.

was surprised at the junk that came out and the barrel now gleams so guess it works

Cant remember which video its in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aADIlpA0Lw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRIc7_rl9Sw

Mike
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby The_Dogge » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:18 am

I usually put the cleaning rod in an electric drill chuck and spin it up and down the barrel, works great and does no harm, much faster and less effort than tedious rodding, they can be a pain to get properly clean.

My other solution is to just not clean them that often! They aren't going to rust (I do spray a bit of oil down them), accuracy isn't affected, why clean them?
The_Dogge
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Cam » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:52 pm

I am pretty sure that VFG do felt wads for 12g.

The wads can be impregnated with the cleaning chemical of your choice, and the wads come in 2 types: normal and intensive.

The VFG system works superb on rifles and I don't see why it should not also work on s/g's
Cam
Hunter
Hunter

Postby The_Dogge » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:24 pm

I have not yet found a chemical that I think is worth having to remove plastic fouling, IMO plastic fouling removal is basically mechanical.
The_Dogge
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Cam » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:34 pm

The_Dogge wrote:I have not yet found a chemical that I think is worth having to remove plastic fouling, IMO plastic fouling removal is basically mechanical.

What about acetone or certain paint thinners?

Cam
Cam
Hunter
Hunter

Postby The_Dogge » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:15 pm

I tested acetone by leaving a piece of plastic wad in it overnight, it appeared to do no damage to the wad, so I'm guessing it wouldn't do much to the wad fouling either. Haven't tried pain thinners, I don't want to use something hazardous and stinking as the power brush and plain WD40 works ok.

I would be interested in some of this http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-c ... d1166.aspx it sounds like it should work, maybe if I'm ordering something from brownells UK I will tack it on to the order.
The_Dogge
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Coldfinger » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:52 pm

Aromatic hydrocarbons such as xylene or toluene are the best solvents for polyethylene. Chlorinated solvents like trichlorobenzene or trichloroethane will also work. All work better when hot.

However, the physiological damage these solvents can cause would suggest that elbow grease is a better solution.
"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Cam » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:15 pm

The_Dogge wrote:I tested acetone by leaving a piece of plastic wad in it overnight, it appeared to do no damage to the wad, so I'm guessing it wouldn't do much to the wad fouling either. Haven't tried pain thinners, I don't want to use something hazardous and stinking as the power brush and plain WD40 works ok.

I would be interested in some of this http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-c ... d1166.aspx it sounds like it should work, maybe if I'm ordering something from brownells UK I will tack it on to the order.

My neighbour gave some thinners that I accidently splashed on the angle indicator on my Evolution Rage and it destroyed it within a minute. I can only assume that the plastic is completely different to that of what is used in s/g wadding?

Cam
Cam
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Hornet 6 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:41 am

jonathan996 wrote: Plastic and Fibre being worse!

No, one is worse than the other.
I only shoot fibre these days and have no issues getting my barrels Beretta clean.
Plastic wads I used to use and found a quick spray of clutch and brake cleaner worked a treat.

Neil. :)
Hornet 6
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby smellywelly » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:10 pm

Coldfinger wrote:Aromatic hydrocarbons such as xylene or toluene are the best solvents for polyethylene. Chlorinated solvents like trichlorobenzene or trichloroethane will also work. All work better when hot.

Not sure I agree I'm afraid .. I had the same problem with my Benelli supernova which spent much of its early life shooting plastic wads ... I was of the same view as you initially, and tried everything and eventually went to wash with Xylene which had totally no effect :hmm: ... Ive just Bought a new Beretta A400 Multitarget .. its had 150 fibre wad shells through it and looks just as bad after some 009 and a good bronze scrub as my Benelli did ? .. I know as others have said its not vastly important, but it kind of is IMHO... you shouldnt surely have a deposit that cannot be removed in there ? But I dont know what could possibly remove it ?
Black powder smoke ....... the shot seemed ok... but it takes ages to find out :D
smellywelly
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Deallad » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:35 pm

VFG to two types of cleaning wad the green has brass fibres in it to get the stubborn crap out and the white one for polishing.

My method.

Use green wad with solvent to move the gunk, then use the white one with some JB Bore Paste, then a patch with some Leiga spray, your barrels will gleam.

Carry a boresnake and pull through as soon as you finish

I clean all my shotguns the same way

Mike
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Coldfinger » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:07 pm

smellywelly wrote:
Coldfinger wrote:Aromatic hydrocarbons such as xylene or toluene are the best solvents for polyethylene. Chlorinated solvents like trichlorobenzene or trichloroethane will also work. All work better when hot.

Not sure I agree I'm afraid .. I had the same problem with my Benelli supernova which spent much of its early life shooting plastic wads ... I was of the same view as you initially, and tried everything and eventually went to wash with Xylene which had totally no effect :hmm: ... Ive just Bought a new Beretta A400 Multitarget .. its had 150 fibre wad shells through it and looks just as bad after some 009 and a good bronze scrub as my Benelli did ? .. I know as others have said its not vastly important, but it kind of is IMHO... you shouldnt surely have a deposit that cannot be removed in there ? But I dont know what could possibly remove it ?

I'm using a squirt of Action Blaster and a bronze brush. It seems to work OK and is also good for putting in a bag and sniffing :lol:
"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Sidebyside » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Coldfinger wrote: and is also good for putting in a bag and sniffing :lol:

Why didn't you mention this ages ago , We would have forgiven you for the way you are :roll: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next

Return to Shotguns