divine

Anything shotgun related

Postby leadpig » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:55 pm

how useful do you find them.
i have this strange love affair with them, i'm either really good with them or sh1t, but every time i sell mine i really really regret it :thdn:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: 410

Postby flintlok » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:07 am

Very few shooters in the US use a 410. Most folks would prefer a 20 gauge. I don't anyone that routinely shoots or owns a 410 and you'd be had pressed to find one in a gun store. The 410 might be neat as a side by side though.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:56 am

I`ve not had one since the early eighties.
didn`t like it then and haven`t missed it.
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Sidebyside » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:27 am

Like Leadpig , I love them , I have a side by side ,3" chambered , 28" barrel both full choke 410 , only yesterday I put pay to 9 rats in the wood with it , I would never be without one , a brilliant guage .
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby The_Dogge » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:52 pm

I started off with one, how it didn't put me off shooting I don't know! I couldn't hit anything with it then and I still can't.
Pattern is awful and range is very limited, it was responsible for wounding as much as it killed. :-(
The_Dogge
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Hornet 6 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:59 am

A 410. is just like a 12 bore, point it in the right direction and it will kill.
You just have to be really accurate, as for limited range, not if your a good enough shot.

I love them but I also know my limitations so stick to my 20 bore.

Neil. :)
Hornet 6
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Sidebyside » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:11 am

Hornet 6 wrote:A 410. is just like a 12 bore, point it in the right direction and it will kill.
You just have to be really accurate, as for limited range, not if your a good enough shot.

Neil. :)

Exactly , once accustomed to their limitations they can be used very effectively, as may I say any gun for that matter . :thup:
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby The_Dogge » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:14 pm

I have been very impressed by seeing peoples bags of pigeon made with them, and they are relatively quiet etc etc, if you have an application for one it should be fun, good luck to you.

But they really are range limited, it isn't a matter of marksmanship, if you think it is then I urge you to pattern the gun, I did so recently when wondering what it could do for my son, 11g of shot really isn't that many pellets! Patterns are fine if you respect the range limits, but they soon get very gappy.

I shot a round of skeet recently where one of the other shooters in the squad was using one, it did break clays ok when he hit them, but his score wasn't that great at the end, full choke is not exactly ideal for skeet! If you think that's just because he was using the wrong choke, he wasn't, you need that to break an edge on clay with a 410 and it not being the luck of the draw, certainly beyond 20yd, even more so because most 410 cartridges have oversized shot for the intended application. There is a reason why 410 skeet shooting is considered much harder than 12 bore after all.

25yd is what most sensible shooters regard as their maximum range on pigeon, or clays if you want consistent breaks, not those which are the result of lucky alignment of shot and clay.
The_Dogge
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Bushdog » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:10 pm

I am also on the side of those who feel they are limited in range and effectiveness. My first powder-burner of my own was/is a double .410 Spanish box-lock 30" barrels full and full choked. Not a great gun to learn with, I fear, and other than for sentimental reasons, I would not bother to keep it. Yes it is occasionally useful for close range pest control but for anything free-flying, its not enough gun in my view.

I know people shoot clays with these at extended ranges, but breaking clays and downing birds is not the same thing at all.
Bushdog
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby 247sniper » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:10 am

Ive got a bolt action 4.10 if your interested.
247sniper
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Sidebyside » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:13 pm

The_Dogge wrote:25yd is what most sensible shooters regard as their maximum range on pigeon, or clays if you want consistent breaks, not those which are the result of lucky alignment of shot and clay.

That is the range I try to stick to ,as regards my vermin control ( ie rats and squirrels )I would not even shoot at them with my 410 beyond that , I only use the 3" cartridges usually 18 gms load , beyond 25yds you are in the danger zone of wounding or just being lucky if you were successful , the rats I shot recently were nearer to 15yds away and all were clean kills . I don't believe the pattern is a great issue to me due to the short distant range I stick to , I still love the 410 and mine has put pay to many rats and squirrels .
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:35 pm

247sniper wrote:Ive got a bolt action 4.10 if your interested.

enfield or Webley & Scott
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Shotguns